Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Other Boards : Forum Games : Puzzle "tag" (Don't forget to read the rules in the first post!)
Page 1 of 88
2345>>
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
Oneiromancer
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2936
IP: Logged
icon Puzzle "tag" (+2)  
Since we're all super-duper smarty pants here, I thought it might be fun to start a puzzle "tag" thread. Similar to the movie quote and lyric quote "tag" threads, one person submits a puzzle, and whoever solves it gets to present their own puzzle. I only plan on submitting puzzles that can be explained via text, but if someone really wanted to put an image in their post I think it's okay.

Of course, just like the other "tag" games don't look up the answer anywhere, including asking someone else the answer. If you want a friend of yours to help you puzzle it out that's fine but let's try to keep some semblance of fairness here. Of course this will be on the Honor System but we all seem to be pretty honorable folks here.

Some special rules for this game:

1. If you don't know the answer right away, make posts asking questions for clarification if necessary. Also, some puzzles (like the one I will start with) are almost built to be solved by asking Yes or No questions, so please do so to help yourself solve it.

2. If you do know the answer right away, go ahead and post it. Except...

3. If you have heard the answer before please wait 24 hours before posting it. Part of the fun of this will be solving a new puzzle for yourself, we don't want all the puzzles to be spoiled right away for everyone. If no one seems to be able to solve it (or even get close) then go ahead and answer. Exceptions might be made for really old puzzles that everyone knows, but in that case I'd rather see posts like "I know this one, everyone does, can I please say the answer?" to establish your place, and then we'll see if everyone agrees.

4. NEW RULE 1/1/04: The puzzle should be able to be solved by an average member of this board. So please, no puzzles whose solutions require you to write a program or solve some extremely obscure mathematical equation. Those aren't puzzles anymore, they are problems. We can't stop you from writing a program to solve a "normal" puzzle (although the spirit of the game is to solve the puzzles by hand), but I will have to now prohibit puzzles that require a programming solution or knowledge that is too esoteric or requires a lot of education in a particular field to solve.

5. NEW RULE 1/11/04: You must know the solution to the puzzle you are posting. It's a waste of everyone's time if you don't know what the right answer is to the puzzle you post.

6. NEW RULE 1/13/04: If you don't have a new puzzle ready when you answer correctly, or you can't post one in a reasonable amount of time, then please refrain from answering. A reasonable amount of time should be at most 1 day. I would rather see the topic be empty because no one knows the answer than because there is no new puzzle.

Okay, I think that's it, if any more rules are necessary I will add them later. Here's my first puzzle to start it off.

A man is found dead in a room with 53 bicycles scattered around him. How and why did he die?

As I said before, this is a puzzle that is meant to be solved by asking Yes or No questions, so please ask to help you solve it!

Game on,

[Edited by Oneiromancer on 01-01-2004 at 12:10 AM GMT: Rule #4]

[Edited by Oneiromancer on 01-11-2004 at 08:55 PM GMT: Rule #5]

[Edited by Oneiromancer on 01-14-2004 at 07:54 AM GMT: Rule #6]

[Edited by Oneiromancer on 04-14-2004 at 10:07 PM GMT: Added tagline]

"He who is certain he knows the ending of things when he is only beginning them is either extremely wise or extremely foolish; no matter which is true, he is certainly an unhappy man, for he has put a knife in the heart of wonder." -- Tad Williams
12-10-2003 at 08:51 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
ErikH2000
Rank Points: 2794
icon Re: Puzzle "tag" (0)  
Oneiromancer wrote:
A man is found dead in a room with 53 bicycles scattered around him. How and why did he die?

As I said before, this is a puzzle that is meant to be solved by asking Yes or No questions, so please ask to help you solve it!
Are the bicycles ordinary bicycles with two wheels?

-Erik

12-10-2003 at 10:07 PM
View Profile Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Oneiromancer
ErikH2000 wrote:
Are the bicycles ordinary bicycles with two wheels?

No, they are not "ordinary bicycles". I will refrain from answering the second part because I don't want to be unnecessarily anal. :)

Game on,

"He who is certain he knows the ending of things when he is only beginning them is either extremely wise or extremely foolish; no matter which is true, he is certainly an unhappy man, for he has put a knife in the heart of wonder." -- Tad Williams
12-10-2003 at 10:16 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
ErikH2000
Oneiromancer wrote:
No, they are not "ordinary bicycles". I will refrain from answering the second part because I don't want to be unnecessarily anal. :)
Are the bicycles made of a material other than metal?

-Erik

12-10-2003 at 10:20 PM
View Profile Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Oneiromancer
ErikH2000 wrote:
Are the bicycles made of a material other than metal?

Yes, the bicycles are not metal.

Game on,

12-10-2003 at 10:55 PM
ErikH2000
Did the man cheat?

-Erik

12-10-2003 at 11:42 PM
Oneiromancer
ErikH2000 wrote:
Did the man cheat?

Indeed! Bring it home, baby!

Game on,

12-10-2003 at 11:45 PM
ErikH2000
Oneiromancer wrote:
ErikH2000 wrote:
Did the man cheat?

Indeed! Bring it home, baby!

Game on,
Okay, here's what I think probably maybe happened...

A guy was playing cards (bicycles) for money with some serious characters. They discovered he was cheating (53 cards is one too many) and killed him.

Did I get it?

-Erik

12-10-2003 at 11:50 PM
Oneiromancer
ErikH2000 wrote:
Okay, here's what I think probably maybe happened...

A guy was playing cards (bicycles) for money with some serious characters. They discovered he was cheating (53 cards is one too many) and killed him.

Yep, that's it. For those who might be confused, Bicycle cardsare one of the most popular brands of playing cards, although this might only be in the U.S. And as you can see from the top middle picture in that link, there are indeed wheels on the backs of the cards, which is why I was being evasive when answering one of Erik's questions. ;)

Allright, puzzle please!

Game on,

12-10-2003 at 11:56 PM
ErikH2000
icon Re: Puzzle "tag" (+1)  
I know this is an old puzzle that lots of people know, but it's one of my favorites, so I'll post it...

A man leaves his house and walks one mile south. Then he walks one mile east and shoots a bear. Finally, he walks one mile north and returns to his house.

What color was the bear?

-Erik

[Edited by ErikH2000 on 12-11-2003 at 12:08 AM GMT]

12-11-2003 at 12:05 AM
NoahT
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1133
Is the color of the bear determined by the trip the man takes from his house?

-Noah

My stuff:
Click here to view the secret text

12-11-2003 at 12:17 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
ErikH2000
NoahT wrote:
Is the color of the bear determined by the trip the man takes from his house?
Hmm. This isn't the same sort of ask-questions puzzle as Oneiromancer's. I will be glad to clarify anything, but I don't want to give out too many hints. Let's just say that there are no red herrings for this one--the information given is all relevant.

-Erik

12-11-2003 at 12:26 AM
DiMono
Rank Points: 1181
I know the solution, can I answer?

12-11-2003 at 12:35 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Oneiromancer
If you've heard it before, courtesy suggests that you wait, but if you have never heard it before and just figured it out then please go right ahead.

I've heard the first part before a bunch of times but never seen it related to the second part...it does make it a nicer puzzle though.

Game on,

12-11-2003 at 12:39 AM
DiMono
It's one I remember hearing before, and then I thought it through just now and figured it out. To give others a chance though, here's the wrong solution:

Since it's given in Miles he's clearly an American. However, there are very few bears located within a mile of a random house in North America, so it probably wasn't a bear at all. The only person in North America who could possibly mistake some random animal for a bear is George W. Bush, so the bear was orange, the colour of a tabby cat.

*ducks*

Incidentally, this is post 300. Smitemaster, here I come!

12-11-2003 at 12:45 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Oneiromancer
DiMono wrote:
It's one I remember hearing before, and then I thought it through just now and figured it out. To give others a chance though, here's the wrong solution:

Well, okay, if you've heard it before but didn't figure it out until now (for example, perhaps another post here gave you a clue) then it's okay to post the answer. I bet there are even some puzzles that I once knew, and I hear them again, and I sit down and figure it out, and after illumination comes I realize that I remember getting that answer before. Since I still had to do some hard work to figure it out I would feel justified in claiming the answer.

Game on,

12-11-2003 at 12:49 AM
DiMono
icon Re: Puzzle "tag" (+1)  
Under those grounds, I'll claim the answer.

The bear was white. The man needs to live in a place where he can move laterally and still be the same distance from his home. The only places he could do this are the north and south poles, where he'd always be the same distance from home in the same direction no matter how far east or west he went. In this case, the north pole, so we're talking about Santa! Yay! :yay

Alright, my turn...

A man is found dead in his living room. Next to him is a stick. How did he die?

12-11-2003 at 01:15 AM
Schik
Rank Points: 5383
He ate a poisoned popsicle?

He was a vampire and someone stabbed him with the stake/stick?

Ummm... A tree fell, crashing through his house, killing him, and the stick is just debris from the tree? :)

If none of those guesses are right, I'll ask a question:
Is anything in the living room broken?

12-11-2003 at 01:30 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
Oneiromancer
All those are great guesses (well, except for the popsicle and vampire ones), and if none of them are right, I want to follow up on Schik's question by asking if, specifically, any of the windows in the living room are broken.

Game on,

12-11-2003 at 01:33 AM
DiMono
The only thing broken is him

12-11-2003 at 01:35 AM
Scott
Rank Points: 578
I just thought I would say that I hate these lateral thinking puzzles. :D I prefer logic puzzles where you can actually figure out the answer given the clues without needing to guess or ask yes no questions.
12-11-2003 at 01:52 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Scott
I decided to post a guess anyway.

How about he needs a walking stick (the one found next to him) and he tripped and banged his head on a table (or some other object).
12-11-2003 at 01:55 AM
Oneiromancer
"Lateral thinking", that's a good way to put it. I would say that Erik's puzzle wasn't quite lateral, but it depends on your worldly points of view. The first part of it was basically strictly mathematical/physical: where is the one place on Earth where you can walk 1 mile South, 1 mile West, and 1 mile North and end up where you started? When you put it in different language it can become more difficult of course.

...and now I see you added a guess anyway. :) If you get it right give us a logic puzzle instead, variety is good!

Game on,

12-11-2003 at 01:57 AM
DiMono
Scott wrote:
How about he needs a walking stick (the one found next to him) and he tripped and banged his head on a table (or some other object).
Nope. Come on, people, questions! :)

12-11-2003 at 02:07 AM
Oneiromancer
I thought Scott's answer was a good one, I wanted to wait to hear what you said. I like to take my time though, especially when the clues are sparse.

Was it a long stick? Like, say, longer than 3 feet? And please don't say "No" while secretly thinking "It's 2 feet 11 inches, heh heh..." :)

Game on,

12-11-2003 at 02:16 AM
Schik
Was he eating when he died? Was the stick a drumstick that he choked on?

More general about the stick - does it perform any function?

Was the stick in contact with the man when he died?

12-11-2003 at 02:18 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
DiMono
The stick is under 3 feet long, and the man used it every day in his profession.

12-11-2003 at 02:26 AM
Schik
Was he a policeman?

A conductor?

A magician?

12-11-2003 at 02:32 AM
Scott
See this is why I hate these types of puzzles.
12-11-2003 at 02:34 AM
Schik
I like them, but they work better in person. Whenever I get one right, I'll post a non-interactive puzzle. :)

12-11-2003 at 02:37 AM
Page 1 of 88
2345>>
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Other Boards : Forum Games : Puzzle "tag" (Don't forget to read the rules in the first post!)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com