Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : The Illumination : I Am The Pit Thing. (Our News for October.)
Page 1 of 2
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
ErikH2000
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2794
IP: Logged
icon I Am The Pit Thing. (+2)  
There was an old topic on the forum a long while back about what DROD monster best suited your personality. I used to say I was a tar mother, but now it's obvious to me that I am the Pit Thing. I'm spread all over the place and got my tendrils creeping into everything. I am severely breadthful and therefore have pain speaking in concrete details. So let me give you The Pit Thing summary of what Caravel and its constituents are up to these days:

* We harbored a twisting sickness, now seemingly expunged. Fearing our vessel's breach, a secret second was built--its worthy sister.
* Mister Imer clung hard to his soul.
* The machinations of Mothingness climb to raucous fervor. Despite our missteps, there remains hope for fair statesmanship to preside.
* The paths of Mister Imer and Partner diverged for a small time. In good faith, with each tending to their favored business.
* Partner took his mind apart and stored it safely in marked boxes.
* Trusted members went dark. Broken or modified? I'm not able to say. It would not bring an improvement.
* Something rolls swift and swallows the speed of its own arrival. It claims territory which is not relinquished.

So as you can see, there is a lot going on these days! I should probably take time more often to explain it like I'm doing now. And then people would understand that we aren't just stagnating at the bottom of a pit. Obviously, its more like we're festering at the bottom of a pit. Festering with jagged inclinations and remorse over future misdeeds.

Change Your Password(s)

We got our server hacked. If you used the same password on the forum that you did in some more important website, like an online banking website, go and change the password used on that important website. There is a very small but real risk that a malicious outsider may have that password, and I don't want you to go through troubles. It also isn't a bad idea to change your password on the forum, and never to use the same password for access to an important website anyplace else.

details about the event

Literally, The Contest of Contests

I was busy expunging the twisting sickness, so I hope I can be forgiven for posting an announcement for NiroZ's contest after it is too late to enter it. However, it is not too late to vote on the entries for the contest, which are themselves descriptions of contests. Now there is a very good reason to vote in this case. NiroZ, our official contest coordinator, is using this exercise as a means of harvesting ideas for future contests and gauging their popularity. If you would like to have, for real example, a DROD-themed cooking contest, then scoot on over to the poll and say so.

contest poll where you can vote

Curious, Shy Rabbit

It is time to pay attention to one user going by the name of "CuriousShyRabbit". She spreads herself well, poking mostly into DROD-playing topics. This gal patiently answers newcomer's questions on Hints and Solutions, constructively critiques holds on Architecture, and generally, does something positive whenever she sits down to type a message. She's also spent a lot of time working quietly behind the scenes as a hold administrator. This job is what keeps the collection of holds on our board at such a high level of quality. We should all thank her for that.

For the Rabbit's well-spreadedness, pleasant nature, and that noble trait of not asking for things, I award her the "Don't Ask" award. The Don't Ask award is my attempt to alleviate one of the fundamental injustices of the world--that people who ask for things get more than people that don't. I feel like dumping a ton of mod points on CuriousShyRabbit, because she will know how to use them well. So I would like her to tell me how much one mod point weights, and then I'll make further calculations to bestow the correct amount.

Tim's Topic Picks

Tim is here to tell you what's going on with our Caravel Forum. And he's going to describe it in straightforward manner--not Pit Thing weirdo style.

Windows TCB 3.1.0.54 Patch Released
A small fix.
http://forum.caravelgames.com/viewtopic.php?TopicID=15530

Think Outside The Box, Monkey's Tutorial of TCB, Infested corridors,
School of the Slayerly, Edge of the World, At A Distance, Terrakept
Resonant, Lunchbreak Special, The Spiral,JYS - First Contact

These are the holds released since the last Illumination. Recommended:
Larry Murk's Think Outside The Box (version 3.1).
http://forum.caravelgames.com/viewboard.php?BoardID=11

Another way to request Caravel Keys
A way to get Caravel Keys without having to wait for the e-mail.
(CaravelNet required.)
http://forum.caravelgames.com/member.php?Action=editcaravelnet

Another Architectural Guide
Calamarain has written something that is probably interesting for starting
architects.
http://forum.caravelgames.com/viewtopic.php?TopicID=18043

Crystal Shard Subforum: Leylines
Beta testers still needed.
http://forum.caravelgames.com/viewtopic.php?TopicID=17835

TCB submitted to IGF 2008 Competition
More details and other TCB trivia can be found in the forum:
http://forum.caravelgames.com/viewtopic.php?TopicID=18138

Testers Needed for Mac OS X
Test versions of 2.0.16 (JtRH+KDD) and 3.1.0 (TCB). Backup first, and test
on your own risk!
http://forum.caravelgames.com/viewtopic.php?TopicID=6184&page=3#211631

Alright, I'm going back to my pit now.

-Erik

[Last edited by mrimer at 05-18-2008 05:30 AM]
10-27-2007 at 03:14 AM
View Profile Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Tuttle
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1545
icon Re: I Am The Pit Thing. (+1)  
Unlike the last couple of Illuminations which arrived in octuplicate, I got exactly one (1) copy of this one. Hopefully whatever you guys did wrt the multiple copies thing worked this time.
10-27-2007 at 03:35 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
NoahT
Rank Points: 1133
CSR is a girl, considering I've seen a few posts where she was addressed as "Ms. Rabbit." Also, the "Best Demos on CaravelNet" section of the demos screen says that her real name is Jenny.

-Noah

My stuff:
Click here to view the secret text

10-27-2007 at 03:44 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
ErikH2000
icon Re: I Am The Pit Thing. (0)  
Tuttle wrote:
Unlike the last couple of Illuminations which arrived in octuplicate, I got exactly one (1) copy of this one. Hopefully whatever you guys did wrt the multiple copies thing worked this time.
That's excellent news!

--Oh, I shouldn't jinx it. Anybody getting duplicate copies delivered to one e-mail address?

-Erik

10-27-2007 at 03:59 AM
View Profile Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
RoboBob3000
Rank Points: 1978
Someone should have reminded Timothy (Timberly?) about the Deadlies.

http://forum.caravelgames.com/viewtopic.php?TopicID=18249
http://forum.caravelgames.com/viewtopic.php?TopicID=18269

10-27-2007 at 05:59 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Bingbing
Level: Goblin
Rank Points: 22
Is it me, or did we just get Illuminated?

YES! LIGHT! PRECIOUS LIGHT!

Ni.

10-27-2007 at 06:07 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Mattcrampy
Rank Points: 2388
As far as I'm aware, I should have an inkling of everything that's going on in the Caravellian Complex, and yet I still can't work out what the hell the Pit Thing stuff is going on about. So no-one else feel too bad that you have no idea what it says.

10-27-2007 at 08:00 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Tuttle
Rank Points: 1545
I dunno, the one about the "machinations of mothingness" sounds a whole lot like the bureaucracy, and I'm hoping that the "marked boxes" one means we're closer to getting the TCB deluxe box.
10-27-2007 at 09:11 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
Briareos
Rank Points: 3516
ErikH2000 wrote:
Tuttle wrote:
--Oh, I shouldn't jinx it. Anybody getting duplicate copies delivered to one e-mail address?
Me, but each to one of 3 different email addresses with which I signed up for the Illumination at one point in time or another.

So - is there an unsubscribe page somewhere? It's easy to sign up for it via the website, but how do you get off again? :|

10-27-2007 at 10:04 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
NiroZ
Rank Points: 1302
Try the bottom of each email.
10-27-2007 at 10:19 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Briareos
NiroZ wrote:
Try the bottom of each email.
Ugh. That's what I get for always reading the Illumination on the forum... :blush

10-27-2007 at 11:15 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Jatopian
Rank Points: 1842
Aw man, I was hoping the Pit Thing would turn out to be something cool, not just some spookykook down in a Pit.

10-27-2007 at 01:07 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
BeefontheBone
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 184
Erik's pretty cool...

10-27-2007 at 03:07 PM
zex20913
Rank Points: 1721
Who knew that it'd end up that the entire DROD world existed above The Basement.

10-27-2007 at 04:18 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Stephen4Louise
Rank Points: 548
Lets try to interpret Erik's musings....
ErikH2000 wrote:
So let me give you The Pit Thing summary of what Caravel and its constituents are up to these days:

* We harbored a twisting sickness, now seemingly expunged. Fearing our vessel's breach, a secret second was built--its worthy sister. JTRH and TCB? or maybe JTRH/TCB and the new game?
* Mister Imer clung hard to his soul. ?
* The machinations of Mothingness climb to raucous fervor. Despite our missteps, there remains hope for fair statesmanship to preside. The Bureacracy?
* The paths of Mister Imer and Partner diverged for a small time. In good faith, with each tending to their favored business. who or what is the mysterious partner?
* Partner took his mind apart and stored it safely in marked boxes. ?
* Trusted members went dark. Broken or modified? I'm not able to say. It would not bring an improvement. ?
* Something rolls swift and swallows the speed of its own arrival. It claims territory which is not relinquished. Official relase of TCB or something else?
-Erik
Anyone have any ideas?

Steve.
10-27-2007 at 06:32 PM
Briareos
Stephen4Louise wrote:
Anyone have any ideas?
Well, if "Partner" happens to be Erik referring to himself (and the split-up with Mr. Imer being the latter working on his PhD) the boxes could be limited edition TCB boxes with some unique writings braindumps from Erik in each of them.

That's going out on a limb, so I might very well end up sitting in a pile of leafs after plummetting from there... :D

np: Prefuse 73 - Over Ensembles (Interregnums)

10-27-2007 at 06:52 PM
schep
Rank Points: 865
My initial guesses:

* We harbored a twisting sickness, now seemingly expunged. Fearing our vessel's breach, a secret second was built--its worthy sister.
The server was hacked. There's now a new backup server?

* Mister Imer clung hard to his soul.
No clue here. Keep on clinging, MrImer.

* The machinations of Mothingness climb to raucous fervor. Despite our missteps, there remains hope for fair statesmanship to preside.
Bureaucracy?

* The paths of Mister Imer and Partner diverged for a small time. In good faith, with each tending to their favored business.
* Partner took his mind apart and stored it safely in marked boxes.

The second one reminds me of the 3.1 database change. Which would imply that Partner is DROD itself? Hmmm.

* Trusted members went dark. Broken or modified? I'm not able to say. It would not bring an improvement.
That Project G or whatever comes to mind, but that seems a bit too public to really be "dark" at this point. Then perhaps some similar secret we don't know anything about yet.

* Something rolls swift and swallows the speed of its own arrival. It claims territory which is not relinquished.
This could also be the Bureaucracy. But not as likely as that other one.

10-27-2007 at 07:00 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Maurog
Rank Points: 1501
That last one is the DROD RPG in the making I believe.

10-27-2007 at 07:36 PM
Jason
Rank Points: 1076
This topic's title reminds me of "The Princess Bride".

Miracle Max: Go away! I'll call the Pit Thing!

Fezzik: I am the Pit Thing!

Miracle Max: You are the Pit Thing!

[Last edited by Jason at 10-27-2007 08:10 PM]
10-27-2007 at 07:40 PM
BeefontheBone
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 184
More Spartacus, I feel. I'm the Pit Thing!

10-27-2007 at 08:25 PM
Jatopian
Rank Points: 1842
No, I'm SPiticus!I know, I know, shut up.

10-27-2007 at 08:27 PM
Bingbing
Level: Goblin
Rank Points: 22
Wait, so the whole time the Pit Thing was Eric? There goes all 413213 *not an actual number* theories I had.

10-27-2007 at 08:28 PM
Jason
Rank Points: 1076
Bingbing wrote:
Wait, so the whole time the Pit Thing was Erik?

Fixed.

10-27-2007 at 08:30 PM
CuriousShyRabbit
Rank Points: 3170
icon Re: I Am The Pit Thing. (+2)  
ErikH2000 wrote:
Curious, Shy Rabbit
Who? Me? Gosh, thank you so very much for the compliment. :blush

Maybe that award should go on hold until I actually deserve it. While it is true that I do enjoy writing hints and beta-testing holds, so do others. I have only been a hold administrator for two weeks. I would happily accept thanks some time next year, if I've proven I can do the job well. If I didn't see my name here, I'd think you were talking about jbluestein, who writes tons of hints, is on a zillion beta boards, and has placed his stamp of approval or rejection on about half of all the holds that have gone through the HA process in the past year.

Sitting in my office right next to an analytical laboratory, I think I can give you a very precise answer about the weight of a typical mod point. Mod points are like thank-you cards that you give to other people. I have a drawer full of them in my desk. *Pulls out a medium-sized card and envelope. Walks next door to weigh it.* Its mass is 14.4961 grams (at the ambient humidity here). That means there is an amusingly large number of mod points in a ton. :lol
10-28-2007 at 12:09 AM
schep
Rank Points: 865
CuriousShyRabbit wrote:
Its mass is 14.4961 grams (at the ambient humidity here). That means there is an amusingly large number of mod points in a ton. :lol
Indeed. Since Erik and the CaravelNet server are in the US, let's suppose "ton" means a short ton.
Google Calculator says:
(1 short ton) / (14.4961 grams) = 62 581.297
You struck it rich! :w00t

10-28-2007 at 01:05 AM
Hikari
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 438
schep wrote:
This could also be the Bureaucracy. But not as likely as that other one.

...that sounds to me like not only the Bureaucracy, but specifically the Snacko debacle and subsequent re-distribution of duties associated with the Department of Orderly Disruptions and the Department of Emotional Services.

10-28-2007 at 02:56 AM
Mattcrampy
Rank Points: 2388
There are two things I believe Erik is referring to that have not been made public.

One of those, I suspect, refers to me.

10-28-2007 at 04:39 AM
coppro
Rank Points: 1308
Mattcrampy wrote:
There are two things I believe Erik is referring to that have not been made public.

Second-to-last?
10-28-2007 at 04:45 AM
View Profile Show all user's posts Quote Reply
NiroZ
Rank Points: 1302
Erik illuminated us with:
We harbored a twisting sickness, now seemingly expunged. Fearing our vessel's breach, a secret second was built--its worthy sister.
Mattcrampy wrote:
I'll settle for the twisting sickness ;)
10-28-2007 at 05:45 AM
ErikH2000
CuriousShyRabbit wrote:
Maybe that award should go on hold until I actually deserve it. While it is true that I do enjoy writing hints and beta-testing holds, so do others. I have only been a hold administrator for two weeks.
I aim to spread awards among oldtimers and relative newcomers alike. When someone shows up and does a lot of good in a short time, that's definitely worth recognizing.
Its mass is 14.4961 grams (at the ambient humidity here). That means there is an amusingly large number of mod points in a ton.
Okay, I dumped a ton of mod points on you. Enjoy!

-Erik

10-28-2007 at 06:55 AM
Page 1 of 2
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : The Illumination : I Am The Pit Thing. (Our News for October.)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com