Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Other Boards : Anything : mp3 to mid / wav to mid
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
bradwall
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 423
IP: Logged
icon mp3 to mid / wav to mid (0)  
I am looking for a mp3 to mid converter that is freeware... or a wav to mid converter that is freeware. I need to convert some music from my CD to mid. I can rip it to wav or mp3, but can't find a freeware utility to convert it to mid. Does anyone know of any freeware software that can do this? I have tried shareware, but most will either not to the entire song or will not let you save the file.

12-08-2003 at 10:20 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
DiMono
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1181
icon Re: mp3 to mid / wav to mid (0)  
I always thought mid files could only be composed, since they were based on instruments, so I'm surprised there are utilities anywhere that can do what you want to. ...out of curiosity, why do you want to do this?

12-09-2003 at 04:10 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Oneiromancer
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2936
I have a program that will convert Midi to wav/mp3 but not vice-versa, sorry. It's called SuperSonic and the company that made it is out of business unfortunately. It's a good program for ripping mp3s and for recording the sound coming out of your speakers, and for editing music files too. But it can't save as Midi as far as I can tell.

Game on,

"He who is certain he knows the ending of things when he is only beginning them is either extremely wise or extremely foolish; no matter which is true, he is certainly an unhappy man, for he has put a knife in the heart of wonder." -- Tad Williams
12-09-2003 at 09:13 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
bradwall
I found a program that is freeware that does it, but it does a bad job of it.
Thanks anyway for your help.

12-09-2003 at 08:27 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
ErikH2000
Rank Points: 2794
bradwall wrote:
I found a program that is freeware that does it, but it does a bad job of it.
Thanks anyway for your help.
I'm fairly amazed that there are any programs that would do it, but I'm not up-to-date on what's out there. I guess a programmer could analyze the frequency of the wave samples and convert that to MIDI notes, but that seems pretty unreliable for producing music that sounds good. Not that I'm an expert, but wave-to-mid... that's gotta be hard!

BTW, Brad I sent you an e-mail to your yahoo.com address asking about your mailing address for the certificate. Haven't heard back on that.

-Erik

[Edited by ErikH2000 on 12-09-2003 at 08:50 PM GMT]

12-09-2003 at 08:48 PM
View Profile Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
bradwall
I didn't receive an email (that I can remember), but I did get the certificate in the mail.

Thanks for that.
If you want my new address, I can email it to you.

And yeah, the midi files that the program creates are not very good. The I tried a shareware version and it seemed to go a very good job, however, being shareware, I could not save the midi file.

12-10-2003 at 05:05 PM
ErikH2000
Rank Points: 2794
bradwall wrote:
I didn't receive an email (that I can remember), but I did get the certificate in the mail.

Thanks for that.
That's alright. I just wanted to make sure you got the certificate.

-Erik

12-10-2003 at 05:45 PM
View Profile Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
agaricus5
Rank Points: 1838
bradwall wrote:

Thanks for that.

And yeah, the midi files that the program creates are not very good. The I tried a shareware version and it seemed to go a very good job, however, being shareware, I could not save the midi file.

As far as I am aware, .wav to.mid converters are not generally very good at it unless there is only one voice in the music. If you have polyphonic music to convert, then I don't think you'll be able to turn it into a MIDI as I don't think there are any programs capable of analysing the notes/frequencies of the music and turning them into a sequence. If you do find anything that appears to work, I would also suggest you get some sort of MIDI editor/score writing program to tidy up the score as the conversion may not be very accurate.

12-15-2003 at 05:51 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
bradwall
I was only one voice, but it was piano... I think that the problem is that the continuance of the ringing in the background from the strings that were hit is what causes it to come accross wrong when converted.
12-15-2003 at 08:58 PM
Sokko
Rank Points: 336
There are .wav to .mid converters out there that work with multiple channels, however the more channels there are the worse the quality of the .mid becomes, as one might expect. The one I remember using was highly configurable, and it had an equalizer so you could filter out unwanted fuzz or unusually high notes that result from percussive sounds. Unfortunately I don't remember the name.

12-16-2003 at 09:58 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
TommyBhoy
Level: Roachling
Rank Points: 10
Hi. New here. Can anyone help me on this?

This Site shows you how to convert MP3 to WAV then to WMA:
http://www.aussie3g.com/modules.php?name=FAQ&myfaq=yes&id_cat=2&categories=NEC+e606+Handset

Then it deletes the WMA files after uploading......

My problem is: I just want to convert MP3 to WMA. Anyone know how I can stop the delete? Much appreciated.

TommyBhoy
12-18-2003 at 12:54 AM
Wolf
Rank Points: 10
its easy and simple,go to [url=http://www.google.com www.google.comand type in what you want like for example if you wanted a program that changed mp3 to mid then type "mp3 to mid" that simple ppl.I found one that converts mp3 to wav,wav to ogg,and then it can convert in everything i listed starting from the end and going backwards.If you still cant find anything e-mail me and i'll give you a link exactly to what you want. wolfyukai@yahoo.com
04-06-2004 at 03:59 AM
Mattcrampy
Rank Points: 2388
I think the issue wasn't that we couldn't find any converters, but that we couldn't find any that were accurate.

Matt

04-06-2004 at 09:15 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
DiMono
Rank Points: 1181
Yes, it's really quite difficult to accurately convert any non-instrument-based sound type to mid, because of how the format works. :hi to the forums, by the way :)

04-07-2004 at 02:45 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
deaddybear
Level: Disabled
Rank Points: 9
icon Re: mp3 to mid / wav to mid (-1)  
>>DELETED<< is the way to go. Not freeware, but you can get a 10% off discount form the same place I bought it from
>>DELETED<<

[Edited by ErikH2000 at Local Time:02-20-2005 at 11:23 PM]
02-20-2005 at 10:46 PM
b0rsuk
Rank Points: 489
icon Re: mp3 to mid / wav to mid (+1)  
For opposite, mid to wav, mp3, ogg and several other formats I suggest Audacity. It's open source sound editing tool, and fairly good if you ask me (for my basic modding needs).

http://www.gamasutra.com/features/20051128/adams_01.shtml
02-21-2005 at 12:35 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
kalla
Rank Points: 11
icon Re: mp3 to mid / wav to mid (+1)  
:thumbsup I am using mp3 to ringtone gold , it works pretty good , I download it at http://www.oursdownload.com/mp3-to-wav,wav-to-mp3,mp3-to-ringtone.html
04-04-2007 at 08:33 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Other Boards : Anything : mp3 to mid / wav to mid
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com