Announcement: Be excellent to each other.


Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : Contests : The Complete List of Contest Participants
123
Page 4 of 6
56
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
Lamkin
Level: Smitemaster
Avatar
Rank Points: 581
Registered: 08-17-2008
IP: Logged
icon Re: The Complete List of Contest Participants (0)  
quote:
NiroZ wrote:
Sorry, Lack of sleep is getting to me. PSR?

PulchritudinousShyRabbit?
04-02-2009 at 05:20 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Jason
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1076
Registered: 05-05-2006
IP: Logged
icon Re: The Complete List of Contest Participants (0)  
I think he means Paper Scissors Rock

____________________________
Play my holds?
04-02-2009 at 06:57 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
NiroZ
Level: Smitemaster
Avatar
Rank Points: 1272
Registered: 02-12-2006
IP: Logged
icon Re: The Complete List of Contest Participants (0)  
Oh, yes, yes indeed.

____________________________
A still more glorious dawn awaits
Not a sunrise, but a galaxy rise
A morning filled with 400 billion suns
The rising of the milky way - Carl Sagan.

04-02-2009 at 11:41 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Nuntar
Level: Smitemaster
Avatar
Rank Points: 2973
Registered: 02-20-2007
IP: Logged
icon Re: The Complete List of Contest Participants (0)  
List of contestants for Limited Space RPG:

12th Archivist, agaricus5, Chaco, hyperme, lopsidation, Mazer, mxvladi, Nuntar (host), reyll13, Rheb, Sillyman, techant, The Architest, VIPCOOL, zwetschenwasser

____________________________
50th Skywatcher

[Last edited by Nuntar at 04-04-2009 02:17 PM]
04-02-2009 at 08:47 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
coppro
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1306
Registered: 11-24-2005
IP: Logged
icon Re: The Complete List of Contest Participants (0)  
New contests up.

Congratulations to Neather2, 12th Archivist, and Reyll12 for participating (I believe) in their first contests.

Congratulations to techant and hyperme, who both have earned an 8-Timer Prize!

____________________________
What are you looking at?
04-03-2009 at 12:57 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
reyll3
Level: Delver
Avatar
Rank Points: 33
Registered: 01-01-2007
IP: Logged
icon Re: The Complete List of Contest Participants (0)  
Not to mix me up, It's reyll3, and i'm just saying it to prevent misunderstandings would happen :)

____________________________
A cat
04-03-2009 at 03:50 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
coppro
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1306
Registered: 11-24-2005
IP: Logged
icon Re: The Complete List of Contest Participants (0)  
quote:
reyll3 wrote:
Not to mix me up, It's reyll3, and i'm just saying it to prevent misunderstandings would happen :)


quote:
nuntar wrote: reyll13

quote:
coppro wrote: Reyll12

:shifty

____________________________
What are you looking at?
04-04-2009 at 01:14 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
coppro
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1306
Registered: 11-24-2005
IP: Logged
icon Re: Now officially more important than the Second Foundation! (0)  
Oops. Disregard this post.

____________________________
What are you looking at?

[Last edited by coppro at 04-04-2009 09:31 PM]
04-04-2009 at 01:15 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
zwetschenwasser
Level: Master Delver
Avatar
Rank Points: 200
Registered: 05-22-2007
IP: Logged
icon Re: The Complete List of Contest Participants (0)  
GRAAH! I wanted to be the last one on the list... :angry

____________________________
Currently working on GaTEB and KDD (never finished the silly thing). :yahoo:
04-04-2009 at 12:22 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
The Architest
Level: Master Delver
Avatar
Rank Points: 246
Registered: 05-25-2008
IP: Logged
icon Re: The Complete List of Contest Participants (0)  
Why I don't have Limited Space RPG in the list? :unsure

____________________________
Your eyes can deceive you; don't trust them. -- Obi-Wan Kenobi
04-04-2009 at 12:32 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Nuntar
Level: Smitemaster
Avatar
Rank Points: 2973
Registered: 02-20-2007
IP: Logged
icon Re: The Complete List of Contest Participants (+1)  
quote:
The Architest wrote:
Why I don't have Limited Space RPG in the list? :unsure

I'm sorry, I missed you off somehow :( I've rectified that mistake, so I hope coppro will add you to the main list as well.

____________________________
50th Skywatcher
04-04-2009 at 02:18 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
mrimer
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Avatar
Rank Points: 4335
Registered: 02-04-2003
IP: Logged
icon Re: The Complete List of Contest Participants (0)  
To whomever maintains the list, don't forget to send me PMs for people who deserve prizes!

____________________________
Gandalf? Yes... That's what they
used to call me.
Gandalf the Grey. That was my name.
I am Gandalf the White.
And I come back to you now at the
turn of the tide.

[Last edited by mrimer at 04-04-2009 03:34 PM]
04-04-2009 at 03:33 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
coppro
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1306
Registered: 11-24-2005
IP: Logged
icon Re: The Complete List of Contest Participants (0)  
I don't say who should get prizes because I don't want to confuse the Prize Distributor by accidentally causing a mod to award prizes, then the Prize Distributor having to figure that out.

____________________________
What are you looking at?
04-04-2009 at 09:37 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
noma
Level: Smitemaster
Avatar
Rank Points: 1594
Registered: 11-22-2006
IP: Logged
icon Re: The Complete List of Contest Participants (+2)  
Participant list for BluffHanger (April 2009 Contest)

noma (host)
Syntax
Lamkin
techant
The Architest
calamarain
Kwakstur
Mouse
Someone Else
Tahnan
zwetschenwasser
TimmyWing
The Stew Boy
Blondbeard
DanielFishman
SirNiko
VIPCOOL
hyperme
Nuntar
RoboBob3000

Winners and first time contest participant list sent to Dex Stewart via PM.

[Last edited by noma at 05-03-2009 05:28 PM]
05-03-2009 at 05:17 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
coppro
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1306
Registered: 11-24-2005
IP: Logged
icon Re: The Complete List of Contest Participants (0)  
quote:
noma wrote:
Winners and first time contest participant list sent to Dex Stewart via PM.
You don't need to bother with first-timers; when I add them to the list I figure out who's a First-Timer anyways.

____________________________
What are you looking at?

[Last edited by coppro at 05-03-2009 06:54 PM]
05-03-2009 at 06:42 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
coppro
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1306
Registered: 11-24-2005
IP: Logged
icon Re: The Complete List of Contest Participants (+1)  
quote:
VIPCOOL wrote:
So...when's the list going to be updated? I'm waiting impatiently for my eight-timer prize :~(

Edit: I never knew that someone had something against waiting impatiently.
Because you asked so nicely (not!), I just updated the list.

Congratulations to VIPCOOL for winning an 8-Timer Prize!

____________________________
What are you looking at?
05-09-2009 at 08:59 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
NiroZ
Level: Smitemaster
Avatar
Rank Points: 1272
Registered: 02-12-2006
IP: Logged
icon Re: The Complete List of Contest Participants (0)  
quote:
VIPCOOL wrote:
So...when's the list going to be updated? I'm waiting impatiently for my eight-timer prize :~(

Edit: I never knew that someone had something against waiting impatiently.
You don't need the list updated to claim your prize. If the list hasn't been updated, just link to the missing contest list of participants. In this case noma's post.

____________________________
A still more glorious dawn awaits
Not a sunrise, but a galaxy rise
A morning filled with 400 billion suns
The rising of the milky way - Carl Sagan.

05-09-2009 at 09:00 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Tim
Level: Smitemaster
Avatar
Rank Points: 1975
Registered: 08-07-2004
IP: Logged
icon Re: The Complete List of Contest Participants (0)  
quote:
VIPCOOL wrote:
Edit: I never knew that someone had something against waiting impatiently.
I've mod you back up.

Edit: I didn't mod you down.

____________________________
The best way to lose customers is to let little kids running loose on a forum with too many mod points.

[Last edited by Tim at 05-09-2009 09:03 AM]
05-09-2009 at 09:01 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Tahnan
Level: Smitemaster
Avatar
Rank Points: 2434
Registered: 11-14-2005
IP: Logged
icon Re: The Complete List of Contest Participants (+3)  
I didn't mod VIPCOOL down, but if someone did, it wouldn't surprise me if it was because his eighth contest entry was a blatant attempt to get that prize, showing (IMHO) contempt for the contest and scoring him an average of 3.6, nearly a point and a half below the next highest score. The eight-timer prizes are presumably a way to encourage people to participate creatively in the forum, and to not do so--and then to demand a reward for flouting the system--seems to me to deserve a little opprobrium.
05-09-2009 at 09:23 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Tim
Level: Smitemaster
Avatar
Rank Points: 1975
Registered: 08-07-2004
IP: Logged
icon Re: The Complete List of Contest Participants (0)  
Thank you for the observation. I can now safely conclude that the person who modded him down doesn't want to explain why he did it. And therefore it's an unfair mod down.

As for the so called "blatant" attempt to get an 8-timer prize, well, I'm not sure why some people are having problems with the current rules decided by the contest coordinator. Back then when the participation credit was introduced, Erik decided that it was only "an extra incentive for people to join in the fun." , and "if you tried for at least a few minutes to come up with something and can describe the effort, then you get participation credit".

Later, the contest coordinator decided to change it into "All contestants will be allowed participation credit, and lose 'the game'." Now, I don't know why the rules have been changed, but my guess is that it's all about that participation is better than winning.

As for the low scoring, I don't know what happened there. Perhaps some voters intentionally give him lower scores because these voters decided themselves that it's an blatantly attempt? Perhaps it's the asme people who modded him down? I'm afraid we would never know.

Perhaps the person who modded him down needs to ask the contest coordinator why the rule has been changed, instead of modding down people without telling the forum why he did it. Or perhaps the contest coordinator care to explain it without the coward coming forward?

____________________________
The best way to lose customers is to let little kids running loose on a forum with too many mod points.
05-09-2009 at 11:31 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Dischorran
Level: Smitemaster
Avatar
Rank Points: 1909
Registered: 09-10-2005
IP: Logged
icon Re: The Complete List of Contest Participants (0)  
OK, I modded him down. Thank you, Tim, for being a jackass about this issue instead of actually waiting for a response (is there some reason in particular why you so rarely make constructive posts?). As for why, and since it's been laid out above without my addition it's quite clearly obvious why I modded him down and why it's therefore "fair" and not really in need of explanation:

1. VIPCOOL makes an entry in the latest contest that can barely be considered contest participation. I'm hard pressed to see how it could represent any less effort, and to compound this he makes the "entry" into an effective "frak you" to the contest.

2. He then gets fussy about said prize not being awarded as promptly as he would like.

This represents obnoxious behavior, obnoxious behavior gets modded down. If you want to discuss this further, I'd be happy to join you in a thread that isn't this one.

____________________________
Click here to view the secret text

05-10-2009 at 12:24 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
NiroZ
Level: Smitemaster
Avatar
Rank Points: 1272
Registered: 02-12-2006
IP: Logged
icon Re: The Complete List of Contest Participants (0)  
No need to attack Tim personally Dischorran. I think he waited ample time.

I'm happy for suggestions on how the participation rule should be changed, but be aware that I'd much rather allow in 10 people pretending to participate in the contest, than reject one person who genuinely made an effort.

I think that you'll find, Tim, that although the wording was changed, how it has been practiced has not.

____________________________
A still more glorious dawn awaits
Not a sunrise, but a galaxy rise
A morning filled with 400 billion suns
The rising of the milky way - Carl Sagan.


[Last edited by NiroZ at 05-10-2009 12:39 AM]
05-10-2009 at 12:34 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Tahnan
Level: Smitemaster
Avatar
Rank Points: 2434
Registered: 11-14-2005
IP: Logged
icon Re: The Complete List of Contest Participants (+2)  
quote:
NiroZ wrote:
No need to attack Tim personally Dischorran. I think he waited ample time.
Oh, I don't know. I think Dischorran was pretty much right.

For one thing, "the person who modded him down doesn't want to explain why he did it. And therefore it's an unfair mod down" isn't really accurate; not every downmod requires an explanation. For another, Tim got a little personal in calling the downmodder a "coward". For a third, his statement about the low scoring doesn't even make sense, given how many people scored VIPCOOL low and, well, the fact that the voters didn't need to decide themselves that VIPCOOL was blatantly gaming the system because he said so in his entry.

As far as VIPCOOL's "entry" goes, I actually considered asking in the contest thread whether someone could disqualify his entry and thereby essentially decide that he did not in fact enter the Bluffhanger contest. But I didn't ask, for exactly the reason NiroZ describes; I don't want to open the can of worms that is deciding which entries are "real" and which ones aren't. All the same, I found VIPCOOL's entry insulting to the contest and to the idea of eight-timer prizes, and if I had seen his post above before Dischorran modded it down, I would have modded it down myself.
05-10-2009 at 12:52 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Lamkin
Level: Smitemaster
Avatar
Rank Points: 581
Registered: 08-17-2008
IP: Logged
icon Re: The Complete List of Contest Participants (0)  
quote:
Tim wrote:
I can now safely conclude that the person who modded him down doesn't want to explain why he did it. And therefore it's an unfair mod down.


So, using that logic, any given mod down is unfair if it's unexplained? :huh
quote:
Tim wrote:
As for the low scoring, I don't know what happened there. Perhaps some voters intentionally give him lower scores because these voters decided themselves that it's an blatantly attempt?


I think that's exactly the reason why.

To be honest, I'd almost posted to second Dischorran's suggestion of having VIPCOOL's submission count against his receiving an 8-timer prize, but I hadn't only because I didn't think VIPCOOL was initially aware of how his entry might come across as insulting.

[Last edited by Lamkin at 05-10-2009 01:44 AM]
05-10-2009 at 12:56 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Tim
Level: Smitemaster
Avatar
Rank Points: 1975
Registered: 08-07-2004
IP: Logged
icon Re: The Complete List of Contest Participants (+1)  
Thank all of you for your fast and kind response. Perhaps we can continue the unfair mod down discussion in another, more appropriate thread?

____________________________
The best way to lose customers is to let little kids running loose on a forum with too many mod points.
05-10-2009 at 12:58 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
agaricus5
Level: Smitemaster
Avatar
Rank Points: 1839
Registered: 02-04-2003
IP: Logged
icon Re: The Complete List of Contest Participants (0)  
quote:
NiroZ wrote:
I'm happy for suggestions on how the participation rule should be changed, but be aware that I'd much rather allow in 10 people pretending to participate in the contest, than reject one person who genuinely made an effort.

I guess you're right; 10 entrants with pretend entries are probably better than just two really good ones.

But I think I'm with Tahnan on this one; there was certainly a cliffhanger, but nothing happened afterwards, at the admission of the author. Therefore, I'm not sure that really counts as a resolution, since the situation we're left in is no different to how it was at the end of the first sentence, beyond the fact that we now know that nothing happened.

The official description states: "and the second sentence must resolve the cliffhanger". In this case, I would say that the entry is the only one that requires a loose interpretation of the word "must". Thus, it is technically a candidate for disqualification, although it would have been fairer if it had been disqualified before the voting began.

Perhaps a compromise might be to have this count as an 8th contest entry, but delay awarding the 8-timer prize until VIPCOOL enters a 9th contest.

Oh, and please, let's only discuss prizes here. The modding is a separate issue and would be more appropriate elsewhere.

Edit: Sorry, post collision.

____________________________
Resident Medic/Mycologist

[Last edited by agaricus5 at 05-10-2009 12:59 AM]
05-10-2009 at 12:58 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
skell
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Avatar
Rank Points: 2307
Registered: 12-28-2004
IP: Logged
icon Re: The Complete List of Contest Participants (0)  
quote:
NiroZ wrote:
I'm much rather allow in 10 people pretending to participate in the contest, than reject one person who genuinely made an effort.

Are you paraphrasing Karl from the Guardians of the Flame series here?

Let me play the Devil's Advocate here, it's at least one thing I am good at, and I am not talking to anyone specific here.
Can you say that VIPCOOL's entry is really "blatant attempt to get that prize"? Sure, it does look a little lousy when compared to others but then again - can you blame average person for not writing like <insert name of your favorite writer here>, or having ideas like <insert some other favorite name>? Perhaps he spent some time trying to come up with something interesting, but the best idea he had was what he wrote which, for him back then seemed genuinely splendid, but in the eyes of other people is bad. To put it metaphorically, he may be a young novice pianist who spent few weeks trying to learn how to play For Elise and still stumbles all the time, and the rest of people out there are experienced musicians who can play it perfectly with just one look at the note sheet?
And maybe he is just really anxious to get the prize? I don't know what about you, but I personally would be pretty anxious, a little bit impatient. It's natural. It's like asking a girl to go with you to a prom or date (or boy, underline whichever fits you).

*sighs* That's all I had to say for now. I think you (Dischorran) were unjustifiably aggressive towards Tim in your post, a little bit too much at the very least. I don't say your mod down was bad (on the contrary you being modded down was in my opinion bad), and you do have valid points.
And since my mind hasn't jumped into another, different track yet:
quote:
Tim wrote: modding down people without telling the forum why he did it

I don't think people should be justifying their mod downs, since they don't have to justify their mod ups, but not only!! It was clear as blue sky why VIPCOOL was modded down, though some might not agree with that, and no one needs to know who did this. As long as it isn't yet-another-random-downmod things are fine. But because of that affair, we shouldn't start to consider every mod down as evil which has to be eradicated.

And of course while I was writing this stupid post, millions of people already answered -_-. Curse my super slow writing.

EDIT: *agrees with people saying that this shouldn't be carried anymore*

____________________________
I am a skelliopath.

[Last edited by skell at 05-10-2009 01:04 AM]
05-10-2009 at 01:00 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Tahnan
Level: Smitemaster
Avatar
Rank Points: 2434
Registered: 11-14-2005
IP: Logged
icon Re: The Complete List of Contest Participants (0)  
(Discussion to be continued in Anything.)
05-10-2009 at 01:10 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
The Architest
Level: Master Delver
Avatar
Rank Points: 246
Registered: 05-25-2008
IP: Logged
icon Re: The Complete List of Contest Participants (0)  
Wow! I was 4th in BluffHanger? So close,I must try get to Top 3 in this motnhs contest! -_-

____________________________
Your eyes can deceive you; don't trust them. -- Obi-Wan Kenobi
05-11-2009 at 06:20 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
NiroZ
Level: Smitemaster
Avatar
Rank Points: 1272
Registered: 02-12-2006
IP: Logged
icon Re: The Complete List of Contest Participants (+3)  
Flags of the Eighth
Brian_S 3rd
Mikko 2nd
Jutt 1st
hyperme
Rheb
brian_s
Znirk
Jeff_Ray...
eb0ny
Bombadil
Noma
The Architest
DanielFishman
techant
Mikko
Dex Stewart
Techant

____________________________
A still more glorious dawn awaits
Not a sunrise, but a galaxy rise
A morning filled with 400 billion suns
The rising of the milky way - Carl Sagan.

06-03-2009 at 02:52 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
123
Page 4 of 6
56
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : Contests : The Complete List of Contest Participants
Surf To:


Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com

Powered by: tForum tForumHacks Edition b0.98.8
Originally created by Toan Huynh (Copyright © 2000)
Enhanced by the tForumHacks team and the Caravel team.