Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : Contests : Director of Department of Emotional Services--ELECTION CANCELED. (Not the contest for October.)
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
ErikH2000
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2794
IP: Logged
icon Director of Department of Emotional Services--ELECTION CANCELED. (0)  
UPDATE 10/7/07: I'm rethinking the Department. The election will be canceled for now. Original announcement left below to provide context for other reply comments. -Erik

We've created the Department of Grand Constructions, and I'm already very happy with what Director JBluestein and his chosen company are doing. Fairly soon, the election for Director of Department of Challenges will complete, and that will kick off our second department.

I'd like to keep our momentum, and start some campaigns for the third department, Emotional Services. We're looking for this new department's Director. Candidates will declare themselves and over the next week, answer questions and make statements about their intentions. We'll put up a poll for the declared candidates sometime next weekend.

What is the Department of Emotional Services?

This department concerns itself with the elevation of spirits inside the community. It recognizes the importance of human emotional needs and wants, and does whatever it can to make people feel happy.

It's an oddly intangible mission, to be sure. And the department will contain many silly positions that don't seem necessary, like for instance, the Welcomer, an individual that tries to welcome every new forum member. Or the Normal Person, who is somebody that represents the interests of normal people.

To get a better idea of what the department will undertake, have a look at the Required Positions:
http://forum.caravelgames.com/viewtopic.php?TopicID=17257

What Does the Director Do?

A full description of the Director's duties and qualification is found in the Required Positions for the department.

Who Should Be the Director?

Again, you want to read the qualifications in the Director position post, but I'll also offer a few suggestions.

The tone of this Department is a lot different than Constructions and Challenges. The first two have some very obvious useful and valued things to do. Happiness? How do you create organizations that cause people to be happy? You don't just dump gift baskets on stranger's doorsteps. If you think too institutionally, the actions you'll take will be cold and mechanical, lacking depth, warmth, and interaction. It will take a special kind of genius to figure out how make this department do valuable and memorable things.

There is also a danger of doing too much or attempting to usurp responsibility over the friendly behavior that every forum member should have a chance to show in an "unofficial" way. Perhaps the Department does the most by providing an example of goodwill on the forum.

So who wants to direct this department? I know there a bunch of people on the forum that would handle the job wonderfully.

-Erik

[Last edited by ErikH2000 at 10-08-2007 02:17 AM]
10-05-2007 at 10:45 PM
View Profile Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
NiroZ
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1302
icon Re: Director of Department of Emotional Services. (+1)  
First question to potential directors.
What aims and objectives would you set for the department? eg, taking care of H&S, fostering a more welcoming community towards younger members, keeping debates peaceful, ectera ectera.
10-06-2007 at 04:17 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Mattcrampy
Rank Points: 2388
icon Re: Director of Department of Emotional Services. (0)  
This has crossover with the Department of Orderly Disruptions, but: how would you deal with someone who had grown irrationally angry over something, like someone usurping their highscore, or a design decision made in DROD development?

10-07-2007 at 11:22 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
NiroZ
Better question. Who wants to answer the questions?
10-07-2007 at 11:37 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
CuriousShyRabbit
Rank Points: 3170
icon Re: Director of Department of Emotional Services. (+4)  
Ugh... I'm not sure anyone will want to answer these questions. Other than the Welcomer (who will serve a much-needed function in this community), the way the Department of Emotional Services is defined is rather icky. I am NOT running for the Director position; however, here are a few comments to get the discussion started. First, the department needs a new name, or it may attract virtually none of the highly qualified potential employees in these forums. Second, the department may not even be needed due to the high degree of overlap with the other departments. Third, in areas where there is not overlap with other departments, defining things like being welcoming and friendly as the responsibility of a department allows individual forum members to shirk their own personal responsibility in these areas.

Department of Celebrations
Three main types of celebrations are in the mission of the Department of Celebrations. These naturally overlap with each other and with the missions of other departments. This department celebrates what the other departments support. And more importantly, there is much overlap with the everyday coolness of individual forum members.

:) We will celebrate the diversity of this community.
There are so many different people who use these forums. There are people who play DROD casually, people who play DROD seriously for high scores, architects, programmers, people who play other games, and people who are just here for the good company. These include young and old people from all over the world. We will celebrate this diversity by welcoming new members into the community and by guiding them to the fun and support they seek. Collaboration with the two existing departments of Constructions and Challenges will be involved. Given this diversity of this community, there is clearly no such thing as one "normal" person. The duties of the Normal Person as described by Erik would be better accomplished by a committee or even by polling the entire community. People feel happy when they are welcomed and their opinions are welcomed.

:) We will celebrate the accomplishments of our community members.
People here have done some amazing things. They have solved difficult DROD rooms in ways that no human brain could have thought possible. They have explained how to solve those difficult rooms so clearly, even my neighbor's cat could understand. They have created a wide variety of unique, fun, and challenging holds. They have created wonderful artwork, stories, and poetry. They have created incredibly useful programs (e.g. orb solver, hold converter) and help chase down and squish the most elusive bugs in the game software itself. The department and particularly the Recognizer, as described by Erik takes notice of these things. The "Feature of the Month" idea that was suggested in the Orderly Disruptions thread could also fit here. People feel happy when their work is noticed and appreciated.

:) We will celebrate the general coolness of these forums.
People here have shown themselves capable of writing intelligent, insightful, and sometimes very funny posts on a wide variety of subjects. They are courteous and literate. A community of this caliber does not need policing or mediating or arbitrating. We will celebrate and continue this coolness by setting a positive example on all boards within this forum. People feel happy when others are nice to them.

10-07-2007 at 02:04 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
NiroZ
I like it.
10-07-2007 at 07:18 PM
ErikH2000
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2794
icon Re: Director of Department of Emotional Services--ELECTION CANCELED. (0)  
I'm canceling the election to rethink the department. It seems like kind of a dud as far as people being interested in participating. I'm thinking of combining Emotional Services with Orderly Disruptions, and hopefully getting rid of the worst parts of each.

-Erik

10-08-2007 at 02:20 AM
View Profile Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Dex Stewart
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 355
Let it be known that I fully approve of that decision.
10-08-2007 at 04:09 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
calamarain
Rank Points: 933
Sounds sensible. We don't need too many depts.

10-08-2007 at 05:23 PM
jbluestein
Rank Points: 1670
icon Re: Director of Department of Emotional Services--ELECTION CANCELED. (+1)  
Will we end up with the Department of Emotional Disruptions?

Josh

10-09-2007 at 12:53 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : Contests : Director of Department of Emotional Services--ELECTION CANCELED. (Not the contest for October.)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com