Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Other Boards : Forum Games : Mornington Crescent
<<6789
Page 10 of 10
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
Dischorran
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 3408
IP: Logged
icon Re: Mornington Crescent (0)  
Oh, yeah, I get blocked, and then you all get to go have fun with quantum mechanics. That's really just the sort of thing that makes me not want to play anymore.

And with that declaration, I can now claim the Park Royal meta-chit, place three armies on Russell Square, and move to Knightsbridge. In the spirit of fairness, I will not make public my analysis of this move's effect on Someone Else's most probable plan, except to suggest that Covent Garden is likely to be a critical location very soon indeed.

02-15-2008 at 08:37 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
calamarain
Rank Points: 933
Ooooh, a rather obscure use of the leftward sweep there. I like it.

Leytonstone. And unless someone blocks, I think I can declare Mornington Crescent in two. Three if not fully blocked.

[Last edited by calamarain at 02-15-2008 11:22 AM]
02-15-2008 at 11:19 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Sillyman
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 339
... I freeze myself for a turn to charge up my self-flipper. (I forgot I had that option). Mornington Crescent in one.

02-15-2008 at 05:29 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
coppro
Rank Points: 1308
Bank... our money is safe, even if I answer wrong.
02-15-2008 at 11:58 PM
View Profile Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Sillyman
Bah. Now I'll have to make a withdrawl to get my energy back. Or I could just start charging again. Yeah, that's what I'll do.

02-16-2008 at 01:04 AM
Someone Else
Rank Points: 1300
High Barnet. I think that I will still be able to pull off my combo.
02-16-2008 at 01:05 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Sillyman
Hah! I start transversing the void between dimensions with a move to Afternoon City Half-Moon.

02-16-2008 at 01:14 AM
coppro
I'll dodge left with Paddington
02-16-2008 at 03:43 AM
Sillyman
And... warped! MORNINGTON CRESCENT!

02-16-2008 at 04:28 AM
Dischorran
Rank Points: 3408
By my calculations, between the Dollis Hill business and what looks like a Creilton exchange going on between coppro and Calamarain, there's only one car still free for a Mornington Crescent run. While I'm not in a position to use it in that direction, I can still get rid of it for a few turns by routing it to South Wimbledon and hopping off early at Elephant and Castle.

Looks like I'm hoofing it from here.

Oh, and Sillyman, I think you need to recheck which dimension you're in at the moment... :lol

02-16-2008 at 04:37 AM
Sillyman
Hmm? You sure I'm not in Mornington Crescent? Everything is as it should be. I charged for one turn, moved to Afternoon City Half-Moon, then to Mornington Crescent... seems right to me.

02-16-2008 at 04:50 AM
coppro
Ah, but you're unfortunately in a parallel universe, meaning that we don't notice until you make it back, at which point you will win retroactively.

So there's only one thing left to do: Aldwych
02-16-2008 at 05:36 AM
Someone Else
Sorry, but we were playing with the classic rules. That means that you have to wait three turns after moving into phase until you actually get there. So, I pull off the Northern combo with a move to Morden, preventing anyone from moving on to the Northern line as their next destination, and granting me immunity from any Line preventions.
02-16-2008 at 05:37 AM
calamarain
Rank Points: 933
icon Re: Mornington Crescent (+1)  
Humphrey Lyttleton dies aged 86

Sorry to necro the thread, but I thought this was the best place. Rest in peace, Humph, the undisputed grand master of Mornington Crescent.

04-26-2008 at 12:44 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Briareos
Rank Points: 3516
Geoffrey Perkins dies aged 55

The former BBC TV head of comedy has died in a road accident in London.

Geoffrey Perkins, 55, worked for many years for BBC Radio, where he created the game Mornington Crescent in I'm Sorry Haven't a Clue.

He also produced the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, one of the most successful radio shows ever made.
[...]
Ouch... is it just me, or are Mornington Crescent-related deaths up this year? :(

08-31-2008 at 11:37 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
navithmastero
Rank Points: 596
*big old bump*

I like me a game of Mornington Crescent - anyone wanna play? I was thinking standard rules since it's been a while and it's a little easier for beginners to understand.

If anyone wants to play I'll start with Tooting Bec. Odd choice I know but I've been doing a lot of reading about strategy and feel that it's one of the most underrated starting points out there!

One of your local HAs.

My stuff:
Click here to view the secret text

10-29-2018 at 11:24 PM
Nuntar
Rank Points: 4590
Unfortunately, that line of attack is easily countered with Finchley Road. It may not seem like a decisive refutation, but the purpose of this move will become clear in about three moves' time.

10-29-2018 at 11:59 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Someone Else
I assume then, Nuntar, you're not worried about the standard Sloane Square response? I haven't done any reading on new strategies in a while, but I just can't see navithmastero's opening being too concerning.
10-30-2018 at 03:07 AM
navithmastero
Hmm, not sure I see what Nuntar's doing... yet. I'll go with Clapham Common.

One of your local HAs.

My stuff:

[Last edited by navithmastero at 10-30-2018 04:55 PM]
10-30-2018 at 04:54 PM
Dying Flutchman
Rank Points: 406
Haha!
Nuntar has predictive powers.

I'm actually joining in at Finchley Rd (yes, it is allowed for as long as you make slight orthographic changes compliant with the Oxford Concise). You didn't see that coming did you? No one ever does, tends to be consistently overlooked as a valid option.

[Last edited by Dying Flutchman at 10-31-2018 07:20 AM]
10-31-2018 at 07:15 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Nuntar
Rank Points: 4590
Then I'll simply take a turn to cut you off with Paddington. It means the plan will take a bit longer, but Someone Else already prevented the Bakerloo Gambit from being effective.

10-31-2018 at 10:47 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Dying Flutchman
Wait, Nuntar, I thought we had joined forces according to your plan. Well, if you don't need my help, I'll be radically opposing you. Fine!

I go to Notgniddap.

[Last edited by Dying Flutchman at 10-31-2018 11:15 AM]
10-31-2018 at 11:14 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
LeoS
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 276
This Is Not An Entry But A Semi-Tastelss Tangent:

Y'all have got me flashing back thirty some-odd years to my first year of college and a group of us sitting down to a card game when the Perpetually Annoying person on our dorm floor drifted in to join and by some miracle of groupthink our game morphed into an invented drinking game whose rules we somehow all knew and whose violations kept resulting in the interloper having to drink. Sometimes alone, sometimes as part of the group ("Four of diamonds? Wow, that means you, you and YOU , all drink"), while the poor soul just struggled to get a grasp of the 'rules' ("Why do I drink? Last time you played a nine on a three, you didn't drink." "Ahh, but I'm showing Clubs, any one else have Clubs?...oooh, looks like that's four sips for you" [rest of group nods sagely]).

It didn't take long for our uninvited guest to become too inebriated to continue and left...

A little while later, I came across a book called 50 Drinking Games and one of them was called TEGWAR, The Endless Game Without Any Rules, whose description was exactly what we'd 'invented' that night, a savage communal means to dispose of an unwanted visitor.

So to me, M.C. looks looks like TEGWAR's funnier, more benevolent predecessor. :)
10-31-2018 at 10:05 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
disoriented
Rank Points: 2384
And here I was, thinking this was an established game in the UK. British humo(u)r sometimes escapes me.

Best to PM me, since I might miss your message on CaravelNet chat.

[Last edited by disoriented at 11-01-2018 02:21 AM]
11-01-2018 at 02:21 AM
Dying Flutchman
Can anybody explain to me what LeoS and disoriented are taking about? Humour? Pretend?
I'm stuck with Nuntar in a tube station in an upside-down position. There's very limited humorous potential in that, mind you.

Would anyone like to continue gameplay? Is really like to have the opportunity to get out of my (admittedly self-inflicted) awkward situation.

I'm seriously considering warping this entire game to Wellington. [Invoking paragraph 44.a.iv from the "turn the tables" exemption rule set]

[Last edited by Dying Flutchman at 11-01-2018 10:36 AM]
11-01-2018 at 10:36 AM
navithmastero
You're clearly out of practice DF! I'll move to Southwark.

One of your local HAs.

My stuff:

11-01-2018 at 11:15 AM
Someone Else
Well, I've really set myself up for failure. :/ I didn't expect so many moves before my next one... I guess all I've got is Dollis Hill.
11-02-2018 at 11:49 PM
navithmastero
Hmm, I'm starting to feel like this could be a bust but... Temple.

One of your local HAs.

My stuff:

11-11-2018 at 08:12 AM
Pinnacle
Rank Points: 1129
An unconventional move to be sure, but after some deliberation I think I know how to proceed. It's a risky play, but let's see how it works out. Brixton.

11-11-2018 at 04:48 PM
The spitemaster
Rank Points: 354
I will move to Dollis Hill if only because I have been stuck there since the last time I have played, and I have too poor an understanding to realize how to get out of the Dollis Hill loop.

I wish that man would stay away
11-11-2018 at 09:48 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
<<6789
Page 10 of 10
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Other Boards : Forum Games : Mornington Crescent
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No