Announcement: Please read the Rules Topic for some general rules and etiquette before using the Hints and Solutions system.

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Hints and Solutions : Tar
Get Help for a Room Post Reply
Poster Message
Viper
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 33
IP: Logged
icon Tar (0)  
I hate tar.

Can anyone explain how it works? How do you know how tar is going to expand with a Tar Mother around, and more importantly when it will expand as opposed to producing a tar baby on the spawn move.

Why is it so horrible?
12-04-2003 at 02:45 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
zex20913
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1721
icon Re: Tar (0)  
A good suggestion would be to look at the tips page on drod.net.

But, I'll still answer it here.

Tar expands the turn after the mother closes her eyes, what we term "blinking". When they open, the tar has expanded.

Noting expansions. Pretend there was nothing hindering the tar's growth, at all. That is how it would expand. Now, put in things that the tar can not grow on (walls, orbs, scrolls, etc.) Then, if there is any bit of the tar that would have expanded, but is now only one column or one row in size, that will make a tar baby.

Beethro counts as a thing the tar can't grow over, but the sword does not. A tar baby can not be formed on the sword however.

12-04-2003 at 03:48 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
DiMono
Rank Points: 1181
Also, you might want to count the number of turns between expansions. It's always the same number

12-04-2003 at 05:21 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
The_Red_Hawk
Rank Points: 783
Yes, counting is very important. Most people need it to solve the three-mother room on level 8.

But that's about it.

Except you guys left out the fact that tar can be covering walls when you enter the room.

The red hawk's dance of death.

.....the king of the skies.....
12-05-2003 at 07:03 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
zex20913
Rank Points: 1721
Or, if counting gets far too dull, and you have some version of Caravel DROD AE, maybe even Caravel, you can hit enter and see the spawn count.

A nifty tool at many times, especially in user holds.

12-06-2003 at 06:45 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
DiMono
Playing Webfoot I had to play the 3 mother room so many times that I just ended up memorizing the keystrokes and the safe spots, and didn't have to count at all by the end of it. Quirky little side-effect of not having waypoints.

12-06-2003 at 05:52 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
The_Red_Hawk
Rank Points: 783
I didn't play it that long, but I think I was pretty close.

The red hawk's dance of death.

.....the king of the skies.....
12-06-2003 at 07:34 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
agaricus5
Rank Points: 1838
DiMono wrote:
Playing Webfoot I had to play the 3 mother room so many times that I just ended up memorizing the keystrokes and the safe spots, and didn't have to count at all by the end of it. Quirky little side-effect of not having waypoints.
That's so scary...

Wow! I could never do that, not even if it was the 100th time I had re-started the room. In fact, even now I still can't do that.

12-06-2003 at 09:53 PM
DiMono
Well it's not something I planned on, it just sort of... happened. I just got really used to running specific patterns on the keyboard in that room, because they reliably worked.

12-07-2003 at 05:49 AM
Viper
Rank Points: 33
Thanks a lot for all your help guys. I'd rumbled the 30 move expansion and the blinking but I was getting a bit confused about how babies vs more tar came, and precisely how much it expanded.

About the 3 mother room not sure if I've done it yet. Thought I had but restore wont show the mothers of course and I can't quite remember. Don't think I have glancing through the restore.
12-09-2003 at 01:23 AM
eytanz
Rank Points: 2708
agaricus5 wrote:
DiMono wrote:
That's so scary...

Wow! I could never do that, not even if it was the 100th time I had re-started the room. In fact, even now I still can't do that.

I can do it now - I can consistently solve this room without dying, and without using the counters, because I've solved it so often (it's my favourite room in Dugan's, and I often play it to unwind whenever I'm stuck in a hold). Back in Webfoot days, I could more or less do this in the beginning of the room - but then I ended up using a macro recorder for the rest of it, so I never bothered memorizing the keypresses.

12-10-2003 at 06:27 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
dividendD
Rank Points: 44
zex20913 wrote:
Noting expansions. Pretend there was nothing hindering the tar's growth, at all. That is how it would expand. Now, put in things that the tar can not grow on (walls, orbs, scrolls, etc.)

Have You Played Level 11? Remember, Tar can grow on walls, but this only happen if that is the way the room was like when you entered it
02-06-2004 at 01:21 AM
krammer
Rank Points: 904
Please, will people stop digging up these old hint threads? There's no need for it.

And no, tar cannot ever grow on walls. If you cut it back it will grow round them, but it can only start on walls.

"Oook!"
02-06-2004 at 02:29 PM
joker5
Rank Points: 607
I've got a timing-sense in that I can accurately predict when the tar will grow, and I don't count. I've simply learned when and how the tar will grow and get to a safe spot.

~joker5

www.badgerbadgerbadger.com

"Two words: Beam Waffle!" -me
02-07-2004 at 07:22 PM
Get Help for a Room Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Hints and Solutions : Tar
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes