Announcement: Remember: you are giving away your fantastic ideas for free, and somebody else might even make money from them (or appear to). That's just how the world works! If you're worried about it, maybe you shouldn't post your ideas here.

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Feature Requests : Demo recording in editor
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
calamarain
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 933
IP: Logged
icon Demo recording in editor (0)  
The ability to record demos when testing the hold/level/room in the editor, basically. Would come in really handy for beta testing - e.g. I have a room that's quite late on in my hold. I would like to record a demo to show my method of solving it, for the others on the beta board that have asked.

But there's no way to do this without manually playing through my hold, getting to that room (which is a lategame room) and then recording the demo. I've not been playing through the hold - I've been testing the levels one at a time, adding a room here, a room there.

So what I'd like to request is a facility for recording a demo from the editor. Have it flagged that it was recorded in the editor not the game if necessary, but it's really quite irritating not being able to demonstrate what I mean. Same idea if betas are each testing a section of the hold - if one person is betaing levels 6-7, they won't want to have to play through levels 1-5 just to be able to record a demo of a room on level 6!

10-02-2007 at 11:52 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
The spitemaster
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 354
icon Re: Demo recording in editor (0)  
I think the only problem to this is the issue of variables, calamarain. The demo is meant to show it is completable, but now with extra things that might need to be fulfilled, it might not be reasonable. I agree, however, with you, in the fact that there should be a way of recording from the editor, just that it needs to be recorded on the demo that it was done from the editor.

I wish that man would stay away
10-02-2007 at 11:58 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
calamarain
Rank Points: 933
The spitemaster wrote:
I think the only problem to this is the issue of variables, calamarain. The demo is meant to show it is completable, but now with extra things that might need to be fulfilled, it might not be reasonable. I agree, however, with you, in the fact that there should be a way of recording from the editor, just that it needs to be recorded on the demo that it was done from the editor.
Yeah. Otherwise you could have fake demos being posted :P

Glad to see you agree though, I just found this one out recently and it rather annoyed me.

10-03-2007 at 12:01 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Dragon Fogel
Rank Points: 2430
icon Re: Demo recording in editor (+1)  
I was just thinking about this subject and wondered if there was already a thread. And there was, so I'm bumping it.

There are a lot of potential uses for recording demos during editor testing, and it would be nice if there was some way to do it, even if it were fairly limited compared to regular gameplay demos.

Marking the demos as being made in the editor would make a lot of sense to me - the score verification process could be made to check that and could auto-reject editor demos.

But I don't know if there are any complicating factors on the coding side that make this especially hard to implement, though I certainly wouldn't expect it to be simple. Still, if it turns out to be not very feasible, I'd like to at least get official word on that rather than letting this thread linger in obscurity.
12-30-2020 at 09:13 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
mrimer
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 5056
Implementing this is definitely a possibility.

And I come back to you now at the turn of the tide.
01-08-2021 at 05:47 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Feature Requests : Demo recording in editor
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com