Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : The Site : "Mark all posts as read" at board group level
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
Syntax
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1218
IP: Logged
icon "Mark all posts as read" at board group level (+1)  
There are some boards I don't frequent too often, or maybe I've already looked at the boards which interest me in a given section. For example, "Architecture" is one which I rarely visit. However, I find myself still visiting it just to mark all posts as read.

It would be nice to mark all boards in a given section as read (pending an "ignore board" option). That way I can skip those I'm not interested in...

I propose therefore a "Mark all posts as read" on the front page by each board group...
10-02-2007 at 12:31 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Kevin_P86
Rank Points: 535
icon Re: "Mark all posts as read" at board group level (0)  
The alternative, of course, is to selectively read the boards you are interested in, and then click the "Mark all posts as read" from the main page... I imagine that's what that link was intended for :).

10-02-2007 at 03:41 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Remlin
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 181
Or the other alternative is to, you know, just ignore the fact that there are new posts in the boards you don't care about. You seriously go into boards knowing you're not going to care what's posted, just so you can click mark all posts as read? Am I misunderstanding something here?
10-02-2007 at 07:40 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
silver
Rank Points: 915
yep. some of us are distracted by red folders.

red folders let me scan for posts, and it greatly reduces the scan time when I have to "know to ignore" some red folders or check which board the red folder is attached to. so I generally "catch up" with the "mark all as read" on subboards I don't care about first, to get them out of the way of the red folders I really want to look at.

[Last edited by silver at 10-02-2007 07:45 AM]
10-02-2007 at 07:43 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Tahnan
Rank Points: 2459
icon Re: "Mark all posts as read" at board group level (+1)  
Wouldn't it be better to be able to tag threads (or boards?) as "never appear as new"? Then you could easily ignore all the architecture posts--they'd never show up on your screen. (And I could easily mark all those games in which I have zero interest, so they'd stop making me hope someone posted a new movie screenshot.)
10-02-2007 at 08:55 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Maurog
Rank Points: 1501
That would be really awesome and there are several requests asking for this very feature already. It looks like something rather complicated to implement, but is it really? The basic implementation of 18K booleans and counting per user sure doesn't look feasible. But just an ordered vector containing the numbers of all threads I don't want to see a red folder for? Even if every time you go to a forum board it takes each red folder thread and tries to find it in that vector (binary search, O(log n)), turning it off in case of a match, the overhead should be negligible. Add to this a scheduled maintenance that goes on every user once a month and removes all numbers of threads whole last reply was a month ago or more, and we're all set.

Easy? No. Feasible? Should be, unless someone spots a horrible error in my calculations.

10-02-2007 at 11:46 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Someone Else
Rank Points: 1304
Or, failing that, maybe we could put something like "Only mark board with new posts when a new thread is made." I would probably use this.
10-02-2007 at 06:32 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Schik
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 5381
icon Re: "Mark all posts as read" at board group level (+4)  
I've got solutions for many of the ideas in this thread in the works. It is somewhat complicated, so it might take me a little bit to iron out all of the details, but the main functionality of this stuff is done (only visible to me until it's 100% ready):

- Ability to mark topics as uninteresting. They won't turn red, nor will they cause the board's folder to turn red on the main index.
- Ability to mark boards as uninteresting. They won't turn red.
- Ability to mark boards/topics as read without entering them.
- Ability to mark categories as read without entering each board in them.

My main concern with doing this was not cluttering up the interface. I've implemented it via little popups that appear when you click on the folder image. I think it works pretty well, and I'd love to use the same interface to make all kinds of nice little shortcuts to common tasks.

10-04-2007 at 10:21 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
silver
the menus aren't javascripting correctly for me (see picture, which also includes my browser and versiion stuff)

10-05-2007 at 10:16 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Schik
Force a hard refresh - the CSS changed but your browser didn't get the new file.

10-05-2007 at 10:27 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
silver
man. you'd think in light of how many times I've had to deliver that same message to my users, I'd know better. well, I'd have thought, anyway. you might know better than to have thought that I'd have known better.

[Last edited by silver at 10-05-2007 10:42 PM]
10-05-2007 at 10:38 PM
Tahnan
Rank Points: 2459
Schik wrote:
- Ability to mark topics as uninteresting. They won't turn red, nor will they cause the board's folder to turn red on the main index.
Fantastic. Loving this. One quibble: can it be possible to unmark topics that one has marked?
10-12-2007 at 08:28 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Schik
Tahnan wrote:
Schik wrote:
Fantastic. Loving this. One quibble: can it be possible to unmark topics that one has marked?
Oh man. I did that for the boards, but not the topics. My bad. It's done now. There's one known bug in unmarking them as ignored - it will always turn the topic yellow, even if there are unread posts. I'll fix that at some point.

10-12-2007 at 08:43 PM
Rabscuttle
Rank Points: 2460
Semi related request:

Unread Posts
-> provides a list just like 'Today's active posts' except it checks whether you've read it rather than the post time.

10-15-2007 at 04:30 AM
Briareos
Rank Points: 3516
Rabscuttle wrote:
Unread Posts
-> provides a list just like 'Today's active posts' except it checks whether you've read it rather than the post time.
But for all unread posts instead of just today's, right?

(I wonder if that won't incur a performance hit since it's quite a bit more sophisticated than just limiting the post's date...)

10-15-2007 at 08:30 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : The Site : "Mark all posts as read" at board group level
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com