Announcement: To see an overview of all the holds in this forum, see this page. You cannot directly add your hold by attaching it here - you must get your hold approved by Hold Administrators. Check this thread for details.

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Holds : School of the Slayerly (Themed Puzzles)
Page 1 of 2
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Your Rating
Average User Rating
Difficulty:
Overall:

6.3/10 (29 votes)
σ 1.90
Author Name:Hartleyhair
Submitted By:hartleyhair
Hold Name:School of the Slayerly
Theme:Themed Puzzles
Author's Difficulty:
Number of Levels:20
Number of Rooms:82
Number of Monsters:825
Version:DROD: The City Beneath (3.0)
High Scores:View High Scores
Hold Karma:1 (+1 / -0)
Poster Message
admin
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 8
IP: Logged

File: School of the Slayerly.hold (61.5 KB)
Downloaded 1357 times.
License: Other
icon School of the Slayerly  
You play as Jonathan Blackberry, who was sacked from the
Stalwarts for being overqualified. Your mission (whether you
choose to accept it or not): to graduate the School of the Slayerly.

Oh, by the way... the death toll's 99.4%.
10-01-2007 at 07:22 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
hartleyhair
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 307
icon Re: School of the Slayerly (0)  
Hoorah! It's online! Well guys, please enjoy it! It's fairly easy, there's some Slayer killing, and 54 rooms of themed puzzling for you to work through. There's also a preview into the sequel, if you MAster the Hold.

Enjoy! :D

10-01-2007 at 07:27 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
jbluestein
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1670
icon Re: School of the Slayerly (+1)  
This was a decent hold. Not difficult, and several room that were probably easier than they should have been due to missing power tokens and other unintended solutions. But it played reasonably well, was beatable and masterable, with a net result that I spent a pleasant enough hour with it.

I give it three brains about a six for fun.

10-01-2007 at 04:38 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Tahnan
Rank Points: 2459
There's some very nice stuff in here. I'm going to nitpick a little:

1. Some of the rooms had (what seemed to be) unintended solutions. e.g. Lesson 12: 2E and Lesson 5: 2E, where I can't imagine that my solutions were what was intended.

2. Along those lines: most of the "kill the slayer" rooms, as they had no monsters other than the slayer, are unhighscoreable--that is, you can walk in and walk back out, giving them one-move solutions. Conquer tokens past the purple doors would have solved this.

But all in all, a solid hold (and a nice break from staring at the Edge of the World going, "Wha?").
10-01-2007 at 04:43 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
hartleyhair
Tahnan wrote:
There's some very nice stuff in here. I'm going to nitpick a little:

1. Some of the rooms had (what seemed to be) unintended solutions. e.g. Lesson 12: 2E and Lesson 5: 2E, where I can't imagine that my solutions were what was intended.

2. Along those lines: most of the "kill the slayer" rooms, as they had no monsters other than the slayer, are unhighscoreable--that is, you can walk in and walk back out, giving them one-move solutions. Conquer tokens past the purple doors would have solved this.

But all in all, a solid hold (and a nice break from staring at the Edge of the World going, "Wha?").

Well, I think I know what you mean in L15 - if you were
Click here to view the secret text
, that was the intended solution.

10-01-2007 at 07:07 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Jason
Rank Points: 1076
Nice hold so far! The Tar/Mud/Gel is a bit repetitive, though. So far it is a 6 with 2.5 brains. Most of the fun has come from optimising!

10-01-2007 at 07:17 PM
Danteslives
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 48
Nice hold. It was fun while it lasted and I am one of those who likes a story to go with my puzzles and this was certainly interesting. I liked the slayer killing levels and some of the other levels had some interesting ideas. That was one well spent hour and a half for me. Now, about something else,

Anyways! Thank you very much for a solid hold.

EDIT: I forgot to mention I gave it four brains and 7 fun.

[Last edited by Danteslives at 10-01-2007 07:50 PM]
10-01-2007 at 07:48 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
Danteslives
Oh yeah, that wasnt very cool at all. Thanks VIP, I would have never guessed that.
10-01-2007 at 07:57 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
hartleyhair
VIPCOOL wrote:
Danteslives wrote:

Cheap? Oi! :lol

EDIT: You can see where I've used darkness because you won't be able to see the Pit image.

[Last edited by hartleyhair at 10-01-2007 08:01 PM]
10-01-2007 at 07:57 PM
Tim
Rank Points: 1979
4 Brains and a 7.

Difficulty is Not-Too-Hard, although it can still be a challenge if you've never killed a slayer before.

Storywise it's definitely better than most of the non-story holds. And a bit fun too.

A bit more testing (to get rid of some unintentional solutions) would give an even higher score.

[Last edited by Tim at 10-01-2007 08:05 PM]
10-01-2007 at 08:03 PM
Syntax
Rank Points: 1218
That was fun :)

I liked the story, layout and the feeling of having to pass various trials. Nothing too difficult but excellent selection.

Looking forward to the sequel :)
10-01-2007 at 11:17 PM
Jatopian
Rank Points: 1842
Tahnan wrote:
(and a nice break from staring at the Edge of the World going, "Wha?").
I do hope no one rates hold based on what holds came out in the same time period. god help the person who puts out one right after Magic Show 3.

10-02-2007 at 12:13 AM
Tahnan
Well, if anything, I'll have slightly underrated the difficulty on this. ("Each room took me ten minutes to solve? Two brains! Now I'll go spend another hour per room on Edge of the World.") But hey, I haven't even made it through the first room of Calamarain's "palate cleanser".
10-02-2007 at 02:11 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
calamarain
Rank Points: 933
Tahnan wrote:
Well, if anything, I'll have slightly underrated the difficulty on this. ("Each room took me ten minutes to solve? Two brains! Now I'll go spend another hour per room on Edge of the World.") But hey, I haven't even made it through the first room of Calamarain's "palate cleanser".
:P A little evil goes a long way.

10-02-2007 at 12:31 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Tahnan
VIPCOOL wrote:
Hartleyhair wrote: Cheap? Oi! :lol

I didn't mean to be rude, I just thought that was one of the things that stopped this hold from getting a high rating.
For the record: I'd call it "cheap" too, by which I mean something negative but not intended to be insulting. "Hiding things in darkness" feels to me a lot like "hiding walls under tar", i.e., you can do it, but why?
10-02-2007 at 05:34 PM
jbluestein
Tahnan wrote:
VIPCOOL wrote:
Hartleyhair wrote: Cheap? Oi! :lol

I didn't mean to be rude, I just thought that was one of the things that stopped this hold from getting a high rating.
For the record: I'd call it "cheap" too, by which I mean something negative but not intended to be insulting. "Hiding things in darkness" feels to me a lot like "hiding walls under tar", i.e., you can do it, but why?

I didn't think much of it. But given that, once you complete the hold, you know there are places where you're missing secret rooms...it didn't take me long to find all the ones I was missing.

Josh

10-02-2007 at 05:50 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
hartleyhair
Did you like tthe room behind the Master Wall?

10-02-2007 at 05:56 PM
jbluestein
hartleyhair wrote:
Did you like tthe room behind the Master Wall?

Yeah, it was cute. I do like the writing and I look forward to seeing more. I wouldn't mind seeing the puzzles made a little tougher, but that's just my personal preference.

Josh

10-02-2007 at 06:03 PM
Danteslives
I liked the room behind the master wall, and I thought it peeked my interest about your future holds. I am certainly looking forward to more holds from you.
10-02-2007 at 10:20 PM
Briareos
Rank Points: 3516
Danteslives wrote:
I liked the room behind the master wall, and I thought it peeked my interest about your future holds.
Ummm... I hope you don't mind me correcting you, but that room most probably piqued your interest rather than peeking it... :)

np: Burnt Friedman - Chaos Breeds 2 (ft. Dodd-Ellis, Panther, Altenberg) (First Night Forever)

10-02-2007 at 11:17 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
bomber50
Rank Points: 872
The rooms were good. But darkness secrets like that are stupid.

Really stupid.
10-03-2007 at 12:14 AM
Danteslives
Briareos wrote:
Danteslives wrote:
I liked the room behind the master wall, and I thought it peeked my interest about your future holds.
Ummm... I hope you don't mind me correcting you, but that room most probably piqued your interest rather than peeking it... :)

np: Burnt Friedman - Chaos Breeds 2 (ft. Dodd-Ellis, Panther, Altenberg) (First Night Forever)

Yes, you are correct, it piqued it alright. Haha there goes the college money!
10-03-2007 at 12:19 AM
hartleyhair

File: I Slayer First Level.hold (3.1 KB)
Downloaded 86 times.
License: Public Domain
icon Re: School of the Slayerly (+2)  
All right. I have started work on the sequel, I, Slayer, and I have attempted some lynchpins. Here I've attached the first playable level, the Rooftop.

Please feed back about the four puzzles included. I hope to be able to create some more difficult puzzles, so any help is more than welcome.

Thanks to Vittro for 52nd Slayer image!

10-04-2007 at 07:32 AM
Jason
Rank Points: 1076
hartleyhair wrote:
All right. I have started work on the sequel, I, Slayer, and I have attempted some lynchpins. Here I've attached the first playable level, the Rooftop.

Please feed back about the four puzzles included. I hope to be able to create some more difficult puzzles, so any help is more than welcome.

Thanks to Vittro for 52nd Slayer image!

Puzzles are quite nice! You should make an architecture thread though, instead of hiijacking your own thread.

10-04-2007 at 10:01 AM
Dex Stewart
Rank Points: 355
Maybe not. This way it's almost guaranteed that only fans of the first hold will get to see this preview of the new one :) .

[Last edited by Dex Stewart at 10-04-2007 08:43 PM : darn z's and y's on a German keyboard...]
10-04-2007 at 11:48 AM
Gili707
Level: Roachling
Rank Points: 11
Does anyone else have the problem of the slayer at the top not letting you into the level after Goblins and Clones? :? :?

10-04-2007 at 08:38 PM
Syntax
Rank Points: 1218
Welcome to the forums :)

Which room are you referring to? Maybe have a look at the Hints & Solutions board. You can post questions there, or read what was already asked about specific rooms.

Look for the "Get help for a room" button in the top right.
10-04-2007 at 09:13 PM
hartleyhair
I think what he means is, that he can't get to Lesson 6 from Lesson 5. No idea why that's happened, but it may be some sort of bizarre bug...

10-04-2007 at 09:14 PM
hartleyhair
But anyway - any specific comments on the I, Slayer puzzles?

10-05-2007 at 06:15 PM
hartleyhair
I didn't really think I should start a board/topic with only one and a bit levels...

10-05-2007 at 07:09 PM
Page 1 of 2
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Holds : School of the Slayerly (Themed Puzzles)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com