Announcement: Remember: you are giving away your fantastic ideas for free, and somebody else might even make money from them (or appear to). That's just how the world works! If you're worried about it, maybe you shouldn't post your ideas here.

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Feature Requests : Imperative: Animate In Real Time
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
Someone Else
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1300
IP: Logged
icon Imperative: Animate In Real Time (+1)  
This is what would happen: You could put in as many pictures as you want, set the change time, and then it will rotate through the pictures. Of course, all of the pictures would have to be in one file, and all would have to be 22x22. It could make for interesting backgrounds, especially if combined with the feature request for NPCs you can walk on.
09-28-2007 at 02:52 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Sillyman
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 339
icon Re: Imperative: Animate In Real Time (0)  
Hmm... Perhaps. So basically, it's as realtime as speech with voiceover, or "Display Video"

[Last edited by Sillyman at 09-29-2007 06:12 AM]
09-29-2007 at 06:11 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Kwakstur
Rank Points: 385
This will help make it that much more obvious why that spike trap under your feet is killing you. And it can make authentic laser, volcanic, frozen, and/or radioactive custom walls.

I give this a Kirby holding a large flag saying
               <__________>
                ||
                ||
                ||
                ||
           <(o.o^)

EDIT: Kirby no like colliding.
Double EDIT: I just accidentally downmodded sillyman and had to mod him back up. I hate this mouse.
Triple EDIT: Wait a second, Display Video sounds familiar... like an existing script command...

Kirby changed his mind about the original request.
               <__________>
                ||
                ||
                ||
                ||
           <(t.t^)

[Last edited by Kwakstur at 09-29-2007 06:17 AM]
09-29-2007 at 06:11 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Kwakstur
Rank Points: 385
Us colliding on a post 2 days old is almost as incredible as us colliding when necroing a topic on at least the fifth page.

Hey, I got a job for you: diligently watch this topic as it falls. Or another topic, so they don't suspect conspiracy.

[Last edited by Kwakstur at 09-29-2007 06:22 AM]
09-29-2007 at 06:21 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Sillyman
Display Video is different than this. It works like... Actually, I haven't tried it yet. But it isn't like this. For one thing, this doesn't require coordinates, it just makes the character itself animate. And it uses Ogg video files, not sprite sheets.

09-29-2007 at 06:22 AM
schep
Rank Points: 865
Sillyman wrote:
Display Video ... just makes the character itself animate. And it uses Ogg video files, not sprite sheets.
Actually, I believe it makes the entire screen "animate", cutting away from the game for the duration of your full-screen Ogg Theora movie.

[Last edited by schep at 09-29-2007 06:35 AM]
09-29-2007 at 06:35 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
mrimer
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 5056
schep wrote:
Sillyman wrote:
Display Video ... just makes the character itself animate. And it uses Ogg video files, not sprite sheets.
Actually, I believe it makes the entire screen "animate", cutting away from the game for the duration of your full-screen Ogg Theora movie.
You can make a movie that displays at any location and with most any dimension onscreen. You could display a small clip over a 22x22 area of the room...I think...I've never tried that myself. (Actually, the internal format of Ogg Theora is stretched to a w+h that is a multiple of 8, iirc, though it can be displayed to an arbitrary dimension. If anyone has troubles with getting some movie size to work right, I can give instructions for how to kludge it.)

The game pauses while the movie plays, but the sound keeps going. You can't have sound in the movie file (well, if you do, it won't play. I don't know if it would work anyway, since FMOD is controlling the sound channels already), but you can play an "ambient sound" effect that is practically synched to the video playback.

And I come back to you now at the turn of the tide.

[Last edited by mrimer at 09-29-2007 04:07 PM]
09-29-2007 at 07:14 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
eb0ny
Rank Points: 484
Using ogg video files to animate scripted wisps is least to say impractical.

09-29-2007 at 02:23 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
coppro
Rank Points: 1308
icon Re: Imperative: Animate In Real Time (+1)  
mrimer wrote: (Actually, the internal format of Ogg Vorbis Theora is stretched to a w+h that is a multiple of 8, iirc, though it can be displayed to an arbitrary dimension.
FixedNitpicked. [Thanks, fixed -- mrimer]

[Last edited by mrimer at 09-29-2007 04:07 PM]
09-29-2007 at 03:19 PM
View Profile Show all user's posts Quote Reply
mrimer
Someone Else wrote:
This is what would happen: You could put in as many pictures as you want, set the change time, and then it will rotate through the pictures. Of course, all of the pictures would have to be in one file, and all would have to be 22x22. It could make for interesting backgrounds, especially if combined with the feature request for NPCs you can walk on.
I'm thinking about adding this, and the mechanism I'm thinking of is to include a "animation speed (ms)" field to the Custom Character dialog. If a custom character has a non-zero value set in this field, any sequence of 22x22 custom tiles attached will be advanced through at that speed. This would override the normal eight-orientation display, but I'd guess that would be the point of using one of these characters anyway, so that seems fine.

01-31-2008 at 08:58 PM
Jutt
Rank Points: 863
mrimer wrote:
This would override the normal eight-orientation display, but I'd guess that would be the point of using one of these characters anyway, so that seems fine.
Why would it have to override the character orientation? Wouldn't it be more logical to have it override the two frame random animation that is already supported? If you simply put more than two rows of tiles into one image, you can have both eight directions and animation. You could even support the current random animation with a 'random' checkbox.

01-31-2008 at 09:35 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Sillyman
That sounds excellent. What I recommend is to have each row be a frame of animation, and have NPCs in holds being upgraded to a version with this feature automatically set to 0, which means "random", instead of a checkbox.

[Last edited by Sillyman at 01-31-2008 11:37 PM]
01-31-2008 at 11:37 PM
mrimer
Jutt wrote:
mrimer wrote:
This would override the normal eight-orientation display, but I'd guess that would be the point of using one of these characters anyway, so that seems fine.
Why would it have to override the character orientation? Wouldn't it be more logical to have it override the two frame random animation that is already supported? If you simply put more than two rows of tiles into one image, you can have both eight directions and animation.
This sounds useful...except that the custom sword row and swordless posture is lost...but I guess that happens anyway with my proposal, so why not.
You could even support the current random animation with a 'random' checkbox.
I'm not exactly sure what you mean by this...random time till advancing to the next animation frame, or switch to a random frame each advancement, or both? Either of these features don't seem entirely useful to me, especially since we already have that as the default behavior, so what does it give us new?

[Last edited by mrimer at 02-01-2008 12:19 AM]
02-01-2008 at 12:18 AM
Sillyman
You don't gain anything additonal by putting in the "random" checkbox or having 0 time=random, you maintain the current functionality for backwards compatibility. And it might be possible to keep the custom sword and swordless posture rows. Require them to be present in characters with more than one frame of animation, or have an option.

[Last edited by Sillyman at 02-01-2008 02:11 AM]
02-01-2008 at 02:07 AM
The Architest
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 254
I love thi idea!

are you adding this to TCB and others?

Animated backgrounds!

if this idea is in Project,can we have whew Backgrounds at game?
asking Caravelgames team.
05-30-2008 at 01:25 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
mrimer
I'm not sure what you're asking me, actually.

But I can say this is not in TCB, but is slated to be added to a major patch or new game iteration in the future.

05-30-2008 at 01:57 PM
The Architest
What Honour!

Admin/Moderator answers to my reply.

and its okay,that it will not be in TCB.

cannot wait Next DROD game. :)
05-30-2008 at 07:06 PM
vittro
Rank Points: 479
The Architest wrote:
What Honour!

Admin/Moderator answers to my reply.

and its okay,that it will not be in TCB.

cannot wait Next DROD game. :)

Don't worry! Admins and developers are very, very friendly. They will answer to any of your questions!

06-01-2008 at 11:52 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
The Architest
Yes,they are very friendly group.

They know all!

:D
06-02-2008 at 11:04 AM
The Architest
Oh my "Roach"!!!

i getted Fixed,Yahoo! :lol

06-02-2008 at 06:04 PM
Jatopian
Rank Points: 1842
mxvladi wrote:
Fixed. ;)
Technically, there was nothing wrong with that sentence.

06-03-2008 at 12:31 AM
Monkey
Rank Points: 190
mxvladi wrote:
The Architest wrote:
Yes,they are very friendly group.

They know everything!

:D
Fixed. ;)
It still means the same thing, so what was the point of that?

06-03-2008 at 12:47 AM
mrimer
There's an important grammatical distinction between the two in Russian.

[Last edited by mrimer at 06-03-2008 05:32 PM]
06-03-2008 at 05:31 PM
Banjooie
Rank Points: 1645
Russian reversal

Russian reversal or "In Soviet Russia" is a type of joke originated by Arte Johnson on Rowan & Martin's Laugh-In, and popularized by Smirnoff, and is an example of antimetabole. The general form of the "In Soviet Russia" joke is that the subject and objects of a statement are reversed, and “In Soviet Russia”, or something equivalent, is added. For example:

You're all welcome.

06-04-2008 at 02:50 AM
Tahnan
Rank Points: 2459
icon Re: Imperative: Animate In Real Time (+2)  
Banjooie wrote:
You're everything welcome.
Fixed. ;)
06-04-2008 at 04:46 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
The spitemaster
Rank Points: 354
I know that this is a terribly long necro but the sword is still there and it is stickied. So I was hoping it was still being worked on. I think it should be created like this:

Imperitive sprite
It would have the aspects of ghost display and unsworded. When you select the command it would do this:
Imperitive Sprite - Custom character - Animation Speed
Afterwards the scripting could continue. This way it allows for characters that can be sprited and move at the same time. I'm thinking of something like Boo from Mario or a laser bolt, both of these need to be solid and deadly at some point of time and move.

I wish that man would stay away
09-08-2009 at 05:14 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
mrimer
The spitemaster wrote:
I know that this is a terribly long necro but the sword is still there and it is stickied. So I was hoping it was still being worked on. I think it should be created like this:

Imperitive sprite
It would have the aspects of ghost display and unsworded. When you select the command it would do this:
Imperitive Sprite - Custom character - Animation Speed
Afterwards the scripting could continue. This way it allows for characters that can be sprited and move at the same time. I'm thinking of something like Boo from Mario or a laser bolt, both of these need to be solid and deadly at some point of time and move.
As most know, this feature is in DROD RPG. Looping animations will also be supported in 5.0.

07-10-2012 at 06:43 AM
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Feature Requests : Imperative: Animate In Real Time
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com