Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Bugs : 3.1 TCB Patch Candidate (Linux) (3.1.0.52.1 (setup) / 3.1.0.54 (patch))
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
trick
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2580
IP: Logged
icon 3.1 TCB Patch Candidate (Linux) (+4)  
[Edit: Full setups available right now for full and maybe demo version (see below)! Please test!]
[setups still at 3.1.0.52.1 for now]

People seemed to generally miss the last build, so I'm making a thread for it this time. It's the Linux patch! Build 3.1.0.52 3.1.0.52.1 3.1.0.54! (Also see the Windows thread.)

Well, kind of. No fancy patcher yet. That will come later, but for now we're in uncharted waters, where men are men, women are women, and game patches are gzipped executables you must manually extract and put in their place, not sure if they will actually work or not. Exciting, isn't it? Of course it is.

So! Attached you'll find a gzipped build of the latest TCB executable for Linux. To use, gunzip and download it (not necessarily in that order), make a backup of your DROD data (~/.caravel/drod-3_0 in particular) and the old drod-tcb.bin or drod-tcb-demo.bin executable, and put the newly gunzipped executable in its place. Works for both full and demo versions.

If you're not sure how to do this, what to do, or why you should be doing it anyway, perhaps you should wait for the stable release. This is a beta. As mentioned though, testing it brings more excitement to your life, and it'd be appreciated too :)

Experiences welcome. Also, rogue walrus catchers.

[Last edited by trick at 10-17-2007 04:50 PM]
09-24-2007 at 10:10 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
aztcg7
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 104
icon Re: 3.1 TCB Patch Candidate (Linux) (0)  
Score! Gerry, you're my favorite.

09-24-2007 at 11:11 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
jbluestein
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1670
trick wrote:
Experiences welcome. Also, rogue walrus catchers.

Is that catchers of rogue walruses, or walrus catchers who just happen to be lovable rogues, operating outside of the law?

Josh

09-25-2007 at 03:00 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
calamarain
Rank Points: 933
icon Re: 3.1 TCB Patch Candidate (Linux) (+1)  
jbluestein wrote:
Is that catchers of rogue walruses, or walrus catchers who just happen to be lovable rogues, operating outside of the law?

Josh
Click here to view the secret text

[Last edited by calamarain at 09-25-2007 03:05 PM]
09-25-2007 at 03:03 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
trick
jbluestein wrote:
Is that catchers of rogue walruses,
Yes.
or walrus catchers who just happen to be lovable rogues, operating outside of the law?
You can't prove anything.
calamarain wrote:
Do these walruses have... buckets?
That information is not to be disclosed at this time.

09-25-2007 at 04:09 PM
trick
I've just uploaded a full installer for version 3.1.0.52.1 (= almost 3.1.0.53 perhaps, not sure) to the forum download page! Available to people who own the game. This is not the final 3.1.0 version, but I'd really appreciate some testing of this anyway.

Oh, and I've decided to abandon Loki Setup, leaving it out in the cold on this dark and windy autumn evening. In stead, the installer now uses MojoSetup: smaller, faster, more flexible, and generally better in every possible way (this is not an overstatement), except that it's still in heavy development and so a little rough around the edges (specially the GUI, which is just ncurses for now). It needs testing, people! Please test! It's exciting, remember! Thanks :)

The demo installer will be available from the main caravelgames.com site some time later when Mike uploads it. (Could you post here when you've done so, Mike?)

Running off now. Good luck, people!

09-28-2007 at 05:23 PM
aztcg7
On the new mojo setup, you don't create a symlink into /usr/local/bin, which breaks typing drod-tcb into a terminal to open. It still works if I type the full path, but /usr/local/bin/drod-tcb existed in 3.0

Otherwise, it looks very sexy. Thank you Gerry.

09-28-2007 at 06:49 PM
aztcg7
Hmm, I shouldn't have more than one tcb installed at any one time. The new mojo installer also doesn't put in any menu entries in the gnome application menu, even when the desktop-menu install is checked. I didn't notice because I had the beta installed in my home directory, and it kept the desktop menu items there.

09-29-2007 at 12:02 AM
trick
Thank you, aztcg7! I'm looking into those issues you brought up.
The new mojo installer also doesn't put in any menu entries in the gnome application menu, even when the desktop-menu install is checked. I didn't notice because I had the beta installed in my home directory, and it kept the desktop menu items there.
Hm, are you sure? The xdg utils doesn't do reference counting, so if something uninstalls an icon (like the beta uninstaller would do), it'd be gone afterwards until something installed it again. Also, if you manually delete an icon in gnome's menu editor, it's not actually deleted, but marked as invisible, and if something attempts to reinstall the icon it's not marked as visible again -_-. So, if you could check some things for me, that'd be great:

First, see if you've actually got some .desktop files installed:
$ find ~ -name '*caravel-*'

Second, it'd be super great if you could uninstall the game and then do a reinstall with full logging enabled:
$ ./DRODTCBSetup-3.1.0.52.1.mojo.run -loglevel everything -log logfile
..and then either attach the log here or email it to me (gerryj at caravelgames dot com).

Oh yeah, and .54 coming soon.
10-09-2007 at 11:45 AM
aztcg7

File: logfile (13.9 KB)
Downloaded 42 times.
License: Public Domain
I did not actually find any .desktop files in my ~ directory, but I have 2 in the install directory.

The uninstall went fine, and I got the new one up and running. Unfortunately, I still don't have any menu icons. It's possible that Gnome isn't listening to xdg, and that's why I don't have them.

Attached is the log file for the install.

I'm installing to /usr/local/games/drod-tcb/, if that affects anything.

10-10-2007 at 08:18 AM
trick
Great, thank you :)

According to that log though, everything seems to work the way it's supposed to; xdg-desktop-menu was invoked at the end of the install to put the icon in your menu. xdg-utils do work with Gnome, so there's something fishy going on there. So, couple questions then:

* You installed as root, so any installed desktop files would end up under /usr/share somewhere in stead of your home directory. So, if you run the find command I wrote before with /usr/share in stead of ~, do you still not find any .desktop files? And there's still no .desktops in in ~? (Do you get any permission errors during the ~ search btw?)

* Are the files in /usr/local/games/drod-tcb/Xdg marked executable (xdg-desktop-menu in particular, but everything should be)? And /usr/local/games/drod-tcb/caravel-drod-tcb.desktop exists and is readable?

* What does 'which xdg-desktop-menu' say?

* Do you get any errors if you run this command (as root), or does it make the menu entry appear?
$ env "PATH=$PATH:/usr/local/games/drod-tcb/Xdg" xdg-desktop-menu install /usr/local/games/drod-tcb/caravel-drod-tcb.desktop
(this is essentially what the installer does at the end of the install)

10-10-2007 at 02:41 PM
aztcg7
In /usr/share I find a couple of files:
/usr/share/icons/hicolor/128x128/apps/caravel-games.png
/usr/share/gnome/apps/caravel-drod-tcb.desktop
/usr/share/applnk/caravel-drod-tcb.desktop

And now, something new, I found some files in my ~ directory (these had not shown up until I logged out then logged back in):
/home/corey/.local/share/applications/caravel-drod-tcb.desktop
/home/corey/.kde/share/applnk/caravel-drod-tcb.desktop
/home/corey/.gnome/apps/caravel-drod-tcb.desktop

The which command gives me /usr/bin/xdg-desktop-menu, and the install command doesn't give me any errors, but still nothing in my menu.

Also, all the files in the Xdg folder are marked executable, and the .desktop file exists and is readable.

There's supposed to be a Caravel Games menu like in 3.0.0, right?

[Last edited by aztcg7 at 10-10-2007 05:41 PM]
10-10-2007 at 05:39 PM
trick
aztcg7 wrote:
There's supposed to be a Caravel Games menu like in 3.0.0, right?
Well, er, no. I guess that's the problem, then :). Erm, perhaps I should've mentioned that somewhere. Sorry :blush. Anyway, I'd like to bring that back some day, but enabling it made a mess of things in KDE, and also the xdg-utils can be a bit unstable when installing/uninstalling whole menu hierarchies for some reason, so I disabled that bit for now.

You should still have an icon under the Games submenu though (or whatever it's called in your language).

10-11-2007 at 04:32 PM
aztcg7
I still don't have it under my games menu. I've been checking there as well after each suggestion. For the sake of argument, let's say I might have accidentally told gnome to ignore the DROD .desktop icon (never on purpose, of course). How would I go about getting it back? I'm trying to see if it's a problem on my end, which it certainly could be.

10-11-2007 at 05:39 PM
trick
I still don't have it under my games menu. I've been checking there as well after each suggestion.
It's not under a submenu of the games menu either? (Sorry if I keep telling you to do or check obvious things, or spell out how to do things you already know. I'm not trying to insult you; just want to make sure, you know :))
For the sake of argument, let's say I might have accidentally told gnome to ignore the DROD .desktop icon (never on purpose, of course). How would I go about getting it back? I'm trying to see if it's a problem on my end, which it certainly could be.
Well, the easiest way would probably be to use your menu editor (if any) to check if there's any disabled entries there you can enable. Otherwise, menu entries (and exclusions) would usually show up in ~/.config/menus/applications.menu, I think. The exact location can vary, but this should probably find the file:
$ find ~ -name '*.menu' -exec grep caravel '{}' +
If not, thy these:
$ grep -r caravel ~/.config ~/.gnome* ~/.local
$ grep -r caravel ~
Global ones would probably be under /etc/xdg/menus. You can try a global search too, of course:
$ find / -name '*.menu' -exec grep caravel '{}' +
Anyway, if you find a menu file, look for the <Exclude> tag around <Filename> tags mentioning caravel-* desktop files. You can undo the exclusion by removing just the <Exclude> and </Exclude> tags while leaving the Filename tags in place.

What distro (+ version, etc) are you using, by the way? (I probably should have asked this first .. :blush)

10-12-2007 at 08:10 AM
aztcg7

File: caravel-games-caravel-drod-tcb.menu (800 bytes)
Downloaded 44 times.
License: Public Domain
To begin, it's not under any submenu in my games folder, and I'm running Debian Sid.

I don't have a ~/.config/menus/applications.menu, but I do have the /etc/xdg/menus/applications-merged/caravel-games-caravel-drod-tcb.menu file. I've attached it, because there are no <Exclude> tags around any of it at all.

10-16-2007 at 07:15 AM
trick
So.. er, this is embarrasing, but it turns out that the .desktop file had a syntax error that prevented it from showing up in some desktop environments. The file is generated by a lua script on install, and there was a missing newline between two lines. This file when installed as a menu icon showed up for me when I tested it on my desktop here, but actually it shouldn't have since the icon wouldn't work when clicked :nugget. So, fixed that, and verified that it works in a virtual machine running Debian just to be sure :)

Thank you very much for your help, aztcg7! I hope you can forgive me leading you on that wild goose chase there. Gah, I need to stop doing that :blush

Btw, you can delete your /etc/xdg/menus/applications-merged/caravel-games-caravel-drod-tcb.menu if you want, that's just a remnant from the old menu entries (the 'Caravel Games' hierarchy) that didn't get uninstalled for some reason.

10-16-2007 at 03:17 PM
coppro
Rank Points: 1308
I've been waiting on a final version w/ CNet. Can we get it now?
10-17-2007 at 03:26 PM
View Profile Show all user's posts Quote Reply
trick
coppro wrote:
I've been waiting on a final version w/ CNet. Can we get it now?
Well okay then, since you ask so nicely :). Updated the gzipped executable in the first post. Setups later (with .55 probably).

10-17-2007 at 04:52 PM
coppro
There's a .55?

Anyway, sound is phail. I get errors like "SDL_Mixer Error: Failed loading libvorbisfile.so.3: /usr/lib/libvorbisfile.so.3: undefined symbol: vorbis_synthesis_idheader
Assertion error in line 413 of /src/caravel/trunk/FrontEndLib/Sound.cpp: "!"CSoundEffect::LoadSample(): Failed to load sample.""
Sound file "buttonClick.ogg" failed to load. Check whether the filenames are correct."
10-26-2007 at 04:25 AM
trick
icon Re: 3.1 TCB Patch Candidate (Linux) (+2)  
coppro wrote:
There's a .55?
Not yet, but soon apparently.
Anyway, sound is phail. I get errors like "SDL_Mixer Error: Failed loading libvorbisfile.so.3: /usr/lib/libvorbisfile.so.3: undefined symbol: vorbis_synthesis_idheader
Assertion error in line 413 of /src/caravel/trunk/FrontEndLib/Sound.cpp: "!"CSoundEffect::LoadSample(): Failed to load sample.""
Sound file "buttonClick.ogg" failed to load. Check whether the filenames are correct."
Sounds like a distro bug. System-installed libraries shouldn't be unable to define their symbols.

Anyways, I'm guessing you never installed any of the 3.1 setups but just replaced the executable, right? Problem with that method is that you don't get all the snazzy non-exe fixes, like how the setups include the libvorbisfile.so.3 file now and avoid that problem, for example. You can download it though: libvorbisfile.so.3. Put it in the Libs dir where you installed DROD. :)

[Last edited by trick at 10-26-2007 04:59 PM]
10-26-2007 at 04:57 PM
coppro
I downloaded a recent setup (.4x), but I'll try your library...

Yay! No phail!
10-26-2007 at 09:40 PM
trick
Unstickying this since 3.2.0.83 is out. Please test that in stead :)
05-27-2008 at 06:42 PM
Mr. Slice
Level: Disabled
Rank Points: 140
trick wrote:
Unstickying this since 3.2.0.83 is out. Please test that in stead :)
It is? Where?

05-27-2008 at 08:00 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
trick
Mr. Slice wrote:
It is? Where?
The usual place.. Demo version is here, full version here (under CaravelNet downloads)

05-27-2008 at 08:15 PM
Mr. Slice
Level: Disabled
Rank Points: 140
Oh. Okay. *downloads*

05-27-2008 at 08:20 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Bugs : 3.1 TCB Patch Candidate (Linux) (3.1.0.52.1 (setup) / 3.1.0.54 (patch))
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com