Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Other Boards : Anything : Useless Thread Award 2007 (Which of these threads is the most useless one?)
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Which of these threads is the most useless one?
Thread Nr.1 PollPollPoll 11 37.93%
Thread Nr.2 PollPollPoll 1 3.45%
Thread Nr.3 PollPollPoll 3 10.34%
Thread Nr.4 PollPollPoll 2 6.90%
Thread Nr.5 PollPollPoll 2 6.90%
Thread Nr.6 PollPollPoll 9 31.03%
Thread Nr.7 PollPollPoll 1 3.45%
Total Votes 56 100%
Poster Message
MeckMeck GRE
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 594
IP: Logged
icon Useless Thread Award 2007 (0)  
During the last 4 weeks a lot of funny and weird threads have popped up in our forum. Here you can vote for the most useless one.

Note: Don't be offended if your thread is (not) on the list. This award voting is just for fun. No prizes for winning!

Here are the nominated threads!

Nr.1: "The Stabbing Game"
Nr.2 : "Fight!!"
Nr.3: "Word Wars"
Nr.4: "Backwards Thread"
Nr.5: "Odd Format Thread"
Nr.6: "The Rainbow Game"
Nr.7: "The Shower Game"

Feel free to vote and discuss ;)

[Last edited by MeckMeck GRE at 09-18-2007 04:02 PM]
09-18-2007 at 04:01 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Maurog
Rank Points: 1501
icon Re: Useless Thread Award 2007 (+2)  
Ladies and gentlemen, we have a seven-way tie!

09-18-2007 at 04:03 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Stephen4Louise
Rank Points: 548
You forgot this one. :whistle

Steve.
09-18-2007 at 04:15 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Maurog

File: games.JPG (18 KB)
Downloaded 1181 times.
License: Public Domain
icon Re: Useless Thread Award 2007 (-1)  
The whole games board condition makes me sad. Overall, it looks like that:

With green representing quality, yellow representing mediocrity, and red... it makes me very sad indeed.

[Last edited by Maurog at 09-18-2007 04:50 PM]
09-18-2007 at 04:23 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Stephen4Louise
icon Re: Useless Thread Award 2007 (0)  
Shouldn't "Guess the movie or TV show" be green? Otherwise I think you're spot on.

Steve.
09-18-2007 at 04:47 PM
Jatopian
Rank Points: 1842
"The Rainbow Thread" is the dumbest of all, because it celebrates a really stupid thing noobs do and furthermore each successive post incorporates the stupidity of every previous post, making it the only thread in the forum to possess literally exponential stupidity.
"Odd Format Thread" & "Backwards Thread" tie for second.
The others have actually had mildly amusing results.

09-18-2007 at 11:23 PM
The spitemaster
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 354
I think that I'm just happy that you didn't chose more than one from the same person. That would be mean.

I wish that man would stay away
09-18-2007 at 11:36 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
zonhin
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 99
Sorry about the odd format thread. Trust me, it was satire.

Till time went and told me to say hello but wave goodbye
09-19-2007 at 01:51 AM
Jeff_Ray...
Rank Points: 962
Maurog wrote:

With green representing quality, yellow representing mediocrity, and red... it makes me very sad indeed.

...can we have a zoom in please? :/

Currently playing:
Click here to view the secret text

My Holds:
-Completed:

-Work in Progress:

09-19-2007 at 02:14 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
calamarain
Rank Points: 933
Maurog wrote:

There are some very good threads on the Forum Games board though. Avatar Wars isn't too bad, Corrupt a Wish works well, and there's several small minigames popping up all over the place.

Isn't that always the way though, on any forum? A few very good threads, a few medium ones and an awful lot of chaff?

09-19-2007 at 02:30 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Mattcrampy
Rank Points: 2388
icon Re: Useless Thread Award 2007 (+1)  
Here is the thing, though: the CaravelNet forum is primarily a forum for people who are fans of contemplative puzzle games. This sorts out a lot of the chaff almost immediately.

There's no reason, other than suddenly being invaded by 4chan or something equally unlikely, that we can't keep up a high signal to noise ratio as we grow. I get that some definitely find it frustrating that there's forumers who ply their enthusiasm into ill-conceived threads, but that's not usually an indication of malice, and it's usually not a waste of time to try and round off their corners so they play better with the rest of the forum - for example, Jeff_Ray, who's improved out of sight since he first came to the forum.

No-one's asking for people to be babysitters, but at the same time I expect a lot of people would respond well to a bit of direction.

09-19-2007 at 07:50 AM
calamarain
Mattcrampy wrote:
Here is the thing, though: the CaravelNet forum is primarily a forum for people who are fans of contemplative puzzle games. This sorts out a lot of the chaff almost immediately.

There's no reason, other than suddenly being invaded by 4chan or something equally unlikely, that we can't keep up a high signal to noise ratio as we grow. I get that some definitely find it frustrating that there's forumers who ply their enthusiasm into ill-conceived threads, but that's not usually an indication of malice, and it's usually not a waste of time to try and round off their corners so they play better with the rest of the forum - for example, Jeff_Ray, who's improved out of sight since he first came to the forum.

No-one's asking for people to be babysitters, but at the same time I expect a lot of people would respond well to a bit of direction.
Mmmm. One thing we don't want to become is an insular place - I've seen it happen to too many places - it begins with a bit of snobbery and can quite easily end with there just being a core group of people, which gradually diminishes and never expands. If someone's new and they're being slightly annoying, best to gently correct them and try to keep them interested. I suspect I myself was rather newbish when I first turned up!

09-19-2007 at 07:54 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
NiroZ
Rank Points: 1302
4 things

1. This threat has taken up more time for me reading it than scrolling through the forum games topic and hitting all read,

2. One mans trash is another mans treasure. Threads like this insult and embarrass those who posted in those threads

3. Leading by example is the best way of teaching.

4. This thread only establishes known facts, and has wasted more time for me than any of the others. Therefore I prononce this thread as the winner of the Most Useless Thread Award 2007. Well done.

[Last edited by NiroZ at 09-19-2007 08:01 AM]
09-19-2007 at 08:00 AM
calamarain
NiroZ wrote:
4. This thread only establishes known facts, and has wasted more time for me than any of the others. Therefore I prononce this thread as the winner of the Most Useless Thread Award 2007. Well done.
Oh, I don't know. I'm sure I could create a more useless thread if I put my mind to it.

Say, posting the word "Potato" fifty seven times on the General board :)

09-19-2007 at 08:03 AM
Maurog
The clicking on "mark as read" is an underestimated problem. Imagine a typical person browsing the forum. Lalala, check the Games board, nothing interesting, mark as read, let's check some other board. Coming back from that other board, he invariably discovers that the Games board is red. So he thinks "what if it's something useful, like Guess the Screenshot thread". Goes in to check, nope, useless, marks as read. Checks some other board, posts some reply. Comes back to main - Games board is red. Useful? No. Mark as read. Useful? No. Mark as read. Again. Again. Again. Nothing.

This is a bit like gambling - every time you think that maybe, maybe this time there is something good in there. In the screen I posted, the main problem is not the quantity of red vs. green (which is a problem in itself), but rather the fact that red is on top.

09-19-2007 at 11:45 AM
Stephen4Louise
Maurog wrote:
The clicking on "mark as read" is an underestimated problem. Imagine a typical person browsing the forum. Lalala, check the Games board, nothing interesting, mark as read, let's check some other board. Coming back from that other board, he invariably discovers that the Games board is red. So he thinks "what if it's something useful, like Guess the Screenshot thread". Goes in to check, nope, useless, marks as read. Checks some other board, posts some reply. Comes back to main - Games board is red. Useful? No. Mark as read. Useful? No. Mark as read. Again. Again. Again. Nothing.

This is a bit like gambling - every time you think that maybe, maybe this time there is something good in there. In the screen I posted, the main problem is not the quantity of red vs. green (which is a problem in itself), but rather the fact that red is on top.

Well, at least that is easily fixed. Lets stop worrying about the rubbish in there and keep playing the interesting games.

Speaking of which, I believe it is your move in Battle Chess Maurog.

Steve.
09-19-2007 at 11:55 AM
Dex Stewart
Rank Points: 355
Just as a tip: I always see who is online when it is red. 'Cause if Casebier's on, then there's a large chance that he posted/guessed another one :).
09-19-2007 at 11:55 AM
Insane
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 154
Huzzah! My thread is leading!
If I win, do I get a cookie?

-Insane
09-19-2007 at 03:30 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Mattcrampy
Rank Points: 2388
It just goes to show that if you have a competition for anything, no matter how bad, someone will want to win it.

09-20-2007 at 03:07 AM
calamarain
Mattcrampy wrote:
It just goes to show that if you have a competition for anything, no matter how bad, someone will want to win it.
Mmmm. There's even the old joke about "My superiority complex is better than yours."

09-20-2007 at 07:20 AM
roach strangler
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 57
Wooh... Mines going pretty good.
09-25-2007 at 11:16 PM
Snacko
Rank Points: 448
Come on Stabby!

09-26-2007 at 12:35 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
Snacko
Rank Points: 448
Thank you for this wonderfully useless award based around a wonderfully useless competition to see who could be the most wonderfully useless!

11-02-2007 at 04:16 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
Sillyman
Rank Points: 339
I officially modded Snacko up. His post was wonderfully useless about wonderful uselessness. In other news, yes we have no bananas!

11-03-2007 at 05:41 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Other Boards : Anything : Useless Thread Award 2007 (Which of these threads is the most useless one?)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com