Announcement: Remember: you are giving away your fantastic ideas for free, and somebody else might even make money from them (or appear to). That's just how the world works! If you're worried about it, maybe you shouldn't post your ideas here.

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Feature Requests : Force JtRH rules
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
Hikari
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 438
IP: Logged
icon Force JtRH rules (0)  
I noticed, in reading the new threads today in Holds, that the TCB rules apparently affect something from the 'Holds al Dente' winner. So... Here's a request that I don't think anyone's made, though I have no clue how complicated/trivial it might be to implement...

An option that can be set on a hold, to force it to use 2.0.15.1 rules rather than 3.x rules. This would assist in keeping older holds in working shape after updating to the newer rulesets.

09-13-2007 at 09:15 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
Jatopian
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1842
icon Re: Force JtRH rules (0)  
While it is a minor blow to nostalgia, I find this request silly. With backward compatibility this is merely a cosmetic issue, and one that would introduce inconsistency.

09-13-2007 at 10:53 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Kevin_P86
Rank Points: 535
Indeed. The problem doesn't affect gameplay - it is merely a cosmetic difference. Specifically, the way dropped black, green and red doors are displayed in 3.x as opposed to 2.x.

09-13-2007 at 11:12 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Hikari
Rank Points: 438
Uh...

It also un-breaks The Fool's Errand's super-secret solution? ;)

Honestly, this is less for *now* and more for those unforeseen circumstances that may arise in the future. We don't know now if something in 3.4 is going to break, say, bombs. If that happens, I for one don't want to see some of the JtRH-built holds become unplayable in TCB.

I hadn't played Holds al Dente yet, so I didn't know what the issue was, but it was the idea that something inherent to an element *other* than sister gates would someday be an issue, that prompted me to make this feature request.

[Last edited by Hikari at 09-14-2007 08:13 AM]
09-14-2007 at 08:10 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
Doom
Rank Points: 3226
You might want to take a look at this topic.

I've spent some time thinking it'd be cool if we could just forget backwards compatibility at some point and go with some major revisions (different room sizes? other huge stuff like that) along with improved existing elements that can't really be changed currently.

Better Slayer logic, fully predictable movement order system, consistent spawning on all open doors, maybe adding serpent heads as pathmap obstacles... things that would make sense but are hard to change now. And there's probably something else I'm forgetting.
09-14-2007 at 10:47 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Jatopian
Rank Points: 1842
Doom wrote:
And there's probably something else I'm forgetting.
Ability to sheathe/draw sword at will, as was considered for JtRH?

However, I would prefer to keep backward compatibility. It would upset me to think that the hold I'm working on may become unplayable with the next version because someone neglected it.
I'm tempted to do a Godwin type of thing here and compare programmers who neglect backward compatibility with Microsoft, but I'm too nice.

09-14-2007 at 10:45 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Sillyman
Rank Points: 339

File: My Point.hold (1.5 KB)
Downloaded 43 times.
License: Public Domain
You can sheathe/draw sword at will. It just gets annoying after a while. See?

09-15-2007 at 11:48 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Feature Requests : Force JtRH rules
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No