Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Bugs : movie not playing in windowed mode? (Mac OS X)
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
silver
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 915
IP: Logged
icon movie not playing in windowed mode? (+1)  
referring to the end of TCB when you activate the final movie:

RubellaGolda wrote:
Found it! The movie does play when I play the game in full screen mode. When in a window (the way I have always played DROD) the movie is not shown. The hold totals and credits do show in both cases.

[Last edited by mrimer at 10-16-2007 05:39 PM]
09-11-2007 at 01:42 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
aztcg7
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 104
icon Re: movie not playing in windowed mode? (0)  
This has worked for me multiple times with windowed mode under Linux and Windows.

09-11-2007 at 03:10 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Oneiromancer
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2936
Right, it's a Mac problem only apparently.

"He who is certain he knows the ending of things when he is only beginning them is either extremely wise or extremely foolish; no matter which is true, he is certainly an unhappy man, for he has put a knife in the heart of wonder." -- Tad Williams
09-11-2007 at 05:29 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
RubellaGolda
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 52
Ah, I see that Silver already filed a bug report on this.
Thanks for that.

09-12-2007 at 08:31 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
mrimer
Rank Points: 5058
Oneiromancer wrote:
Right, it's a Mac problem only apparently.
I don't think this can be completely fixed. It seems that SDL is unwilling to display an overlay (SDL_DisplayYUVOverlay) on OS X if the app is windowed and it's not drawing the overlay to (0,0) of that window. I can fix it so the video will at least show in the top-left corner of the window, but it sure looks kludgey. Better than nothing, though, I guess. I don't want to force the app into fullscreen mode when a video is shown -- I think more Mac users would complain about that than the other.

If anyone can look up a fix on the nets, then I'm sure the Mac users would most appreciate that. (I can't find anything about it with my weak searchskillz.)

And I come back to you now at the turn of the tide.

[Last edited by mrimer at 11-01-2007 06:33 PM]
11-01-2007 at 06:32 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
trick
Rank Points: 2580
mrimer wrote:
It seems that SDL is unwilling to display an overlay (SDL_DisplayYUVOverlay) on OS X if the app is windowed and it's not drawing the overlay to (0,0) of that window.
Certainly sounds like an SDL bug.. you should report it on the SDL bugzilla. (SDL site seems to be down at the moment though?)

11-01-2007 at 09:45 PM
mrimer
trick wrote:
mrimer wrote:
It seems that SDL is unwilling to display an overlay (SDL_DisplayYUVOverlay) on OS X if the app is windowed and it's not drawing the overlay to (0,0) of that window.
Certainly sounds like an SDL bug.. you should report it on the SDL bugzilla. (SDL site seems to be down at the moment though?)
Not sure: SDL gives an error message "dst must be (0,0)" when it doesn't work, so it seems like a limitation of their current implementation (in 1.2.12).

[Last edited by mrimer at 11-01-2007 09:53 PM]
11-01-2007 at 09:53 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
trick
Rank Points: 2580
mrimer wrote:
Not sure: SDL gives an error message "dst must be (0,0)" when it doesn't work, so it seems like a limitation of their current implementation (in 1.2.12).
Hm. I sent a message to the SDL mailinglist about this, so let's see what they've got to say.

11-01-2007 at 10:23 PM
Hikari
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 438
So, um, any progress on this? It's been an awfully long time...

07-29-2008 at 08:56 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
mrimer
Hikari wrote:
In-game movies will display in 3.2. Just not at the correct location on-screen. I haven't heard anything else about fixing the positioning.

07-30-2008 at 05:06 PM
Hikari
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 438
mrimer wrote:
Hikari wrote:
In-game movies will display in 3.2. Just not at the correct location on-screen. I haven't heard anything else about fixing the positioning.
Uh... Not as far as I can tell. I'm running 3.2.0.83, and when I tried to watch the end video that I'd never seen before after DDDoD came out, it didn't work at all until I put it in full-screen mode. It just kinda sat there until I pressed a button, during which I *assume* it was playing the video somewhere, just... not where I could see it at all.

[Last edited by Hikari at 07-30-2008 09:24 PM : Removed extraneous definite article.]
07-30-2008 at 09:23 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
pigletto
Level: Goblin
Rank Points: 19
icon Re: movie not playing in windowed mode? (+1)  
I also use a mac and 3.2.0.82( I thought I downloaded build 83:huh but not according to the menu) the last time I tried it did play, but in the wrong place just as mrimer said.

However, I just tried to do it again and when I restored to the room, there was another Beethro (a character, not a clone) sitting on top of the trapdoor as well as the Beethro I was controlling that was at the edge of the room, so I couldn't try it as the trapdoor was blocked. I tried stabbing this mysterious character to see if that would get him out of the way, but it caused the room to restart because Beethro had died.

Edited to add: I think this Beethro is probably left over from the previous time the movie played, no idea why he is still there though.

Another Edit: nevermind, upgrading to build 83 fixed this, and the movie is back to playing as before in windowed mode

[Last edited by pigletto at 08-01-2008 09:23 PM]
07-30-2008 at 09:57 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Bugs : movie not playing in windowed mode? (Mac OS X)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com