Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : Development : Art
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
Schik
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 5383
IP: Logged
icon Art (0)  
Who did/does the DROD art? Is there interest in having an/another artist?

I gave DROD to an artist co-worker of mine, and he says he\'d certainly be interested in contributing if it\'s wanted.

Perhaps related, is there interest in making DROD variable-resolution, or at least higher resolution?

03-26-2003 at 01:27 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
ErikH2000
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2794
IP: Logged
icon Re: Art (0)  
Schik wrote:
Who did/does the DROD art?
That\'s me.
Is there interest in having an/another artist?
There definitely is, but it is tough to see where to fit someone in right now. To be honest, I haven\'t planned how media distributed with DROD will be licensed. What I know for certain is that all artwork released with Caravel DROD so far is public domain. However, it is quite possible that in the future, new artwork will have rights reserved to protect against our work being redistributed as-is by a competing publisher. This is something that must be thought through.

So with that uncertainty it is difficult to explain to your artist friend what he would be getting into. Are we going to do all our artwork \"in-house\"? Maybe there is a royalty opportunity for him. Maybe we will have a mixture of protected and free-for-all-uses artwork. Maybe all the artwork will stay public domain.

Also, art is often less flexible than code. When somebody contributes code, and it doesn\'t work how you like it to, it can be changed without scrapping the original work or making the contributor redo it. With art, you have to be pretty sure the artist is working in the right style and level of quality you want at the outset. Or it makes for uncomfortable, we-can\'t-use-your-work situations later. Even if the fellow were an altruistic volunteer, I\'d need to take a critical look at his work before starting. So even without money being involved, we need to look the gift horse in the mouth.

But these things are probably not great obstacles. If there is an artist out there that likes the game and wants to work on it, I would love to see his work and maybe talk a bit after the media strategy is worked out.

-Erik

03-31-2003 at 12:09 AM
View Profile Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : Development : Art
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com