Announcement: Please read the Rules Topic for some general rules and etiquette before using the Hints and Solutions system.

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Hints and Solutions : how does restore work?
Get Help for a Room Post Reply
Poster Message
cattivik
Level: Goblin
Rank Points: 15
IP: Logged
icon how does restore work? (0)  
Hello all,
I have made it to level 8 (cleared 5 rooms already) and now that I'm starting to get the feel of it i'd like to experiment a little with saving and restoring, but I have a doubt: let's say that I cleared rooms A, B, C, in this order, saving each one of them by stepping on the checkpoint (I don't know if there's any other way to save). Let's say then that I restore room A: does this mean that rooms B and C will have to be re-conquered? In other word does restore only restore that particular room or does it restore the game at large?
thanks for your help

11-22-2003 at 04:52 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
zex20913
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1723
icon Re: how does restore work? (0)  
Hmm....I think the way it works is that you can replay any room that you would like to. If you do go back to A, and then beat it, you can go back to the restore screen and click on C to get there. If you need to beat A, but you've already done B and C, you shouldn't restore to it.

Hope that helps.

11-22-2003 at 05:08 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
eytanz
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2708
It's a lot more complicated than that. There are three ways to save the game state -

A - Stepping on a checkpoint
B - Conquering the room, and leaving it
C - Leaving a room that's not conquered.

There are a lot of combinations as to what exactly may happen when you restore to a room, based on the order you did things; it can also be that different checkpoints in the same room will lead to different other rooms being unconquered.

Basically, it's far easier to play around with it and get the feel for it, than to try to explain it on the forum; the game warns you about restoring saves that will revert to an earlier gamestate.

11-22-2003 at 06:18 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Oneiromancer
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2936
The overall game state is always saved. If you get to room C, you can restore back to a previous room or even a previous level and you can always come back to room C. However, what you cannot do is restore to room A, go and beat room Z, and then restore to room C and have room Z count as beaten. This is what the warning message is trying to tell you, I believe. So if there is a level where it is possible to skip a room and not be able to come back to it (which is true for level 8, if you don't read the scrolls carefully) you would have to restore to a previous point where you can access the room and then play the other rooms over again.

In practice, the most common reason to restore for me is when I am in a room with multiple checkpoints, and I want to restore to a specific one. Or, of course, if I am replaying a room to give hints to somebody or just for my own amusement.

If you start playing holds that other people have made, if you play a few levels and then they release a new version of the hold, the only things that are saved are the entrance rooms of each level you reached, I think. It is possible that if no changes were made to a level at all, that you won't lose your progress, but I don't remember for sure. Just something to keep in mind, both for the playtester and for the author who wants people to playtest their hold.

Game on,

"He who is certain he knows the ending of things when he is only beginning them is either extremely wise or extremely foolish; no matter which is true, he is certainly an unhappy man, for he has put a knife in the heart of wonder." -- Tad Williams
11-22-2003 at 06:27 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Get Help for a Room Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Hints and Solutions : how does restore work?
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com