Announcement: Remember: you are giving away your fantastic ideas for free, and somebody else might even make money from them (or appear to). That's just how the world works! If you're worried about it, maybe you shouldn't post your ideas here.

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Feature Requests : Scripting: Simulate Monster Movement (This would be so useful)
Page 1 of 2
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
hartleyhair
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 307
IP: Logged
icon Scripting: Simulate Monster Movement (0)  
Ok, how about a script command 'Simulate Monster Movement', with a list of monsters (brained or unbrained) to choose from? That, coupled with Imperative Deadly, would allow us to create custom monsters! How cool would that be?

For example, we could create a 'Brainy Rock Golem', that moves like a Goblin, or maybe invent new monsters - maybe a Pterodactyl with custom tiles, which moves like a brained Wraithwing...?

The possibilities are endless!

08-30-2007 at 09:37 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Dex Stewart
Rank Points: 355
icon Re: Scripting: Simulate Monster Movement (0)  
And I would absolutely love to have Stalwarts that move like Guards, and Guards that move like Stalwarts. Or both Stalwarts and Guards that moved like Slayers. It would finally be possible for them to have a fair battle.
08-30-2007 at 11:16 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
hartleyhair
Exactly!

08-30-2007 at 12:57 PM
Kwakstur
Rank Points: 385
I must say, this is one of the most recurring requests. I've seen "turn back into NPC," I've seen "Act like monster," I've seen "Act like AI," I've seen it all. This one is most similar to "act like AI."

Not to say it isn't a good idea. I mean, if everyone (including me) requested it at some point, it must be something everybody wants. It's just that it's not the newest idea.

08-30-2007 at 05:54 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
hartleyhair
Well, if everybody want it, hopefully it'll be implemented :|

08-30-2007 at 06:28 PM
Kevin_P86
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 535
The biggest problem with this idea is this: Why would you want a rock golem that moves like a goblin, when you can just use a goblin? It's INCREDIBLY confusing to the player, and really doesn't add anything.

08-30-2007 at 08:00 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Kwakstur
Kevin_P86 wrote:
The biggest problem with this idea is this: Why would you want a rock golem that moves like a goblin, when you can just use a goblin? It's INCREDIBLY confusing to the player, and really doesn't add anything.
Actually, I think this would be best used with Custom NPCs.
Besides, with Custom NPCs, you can make Goblin Golems (GGs) look distinguishable from Rock Golems.

08-30-2007 at 08:11 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
hartleyhair
Even if you couldn't get custom tiles, in the event of an emergency you could just do a scroll about it...

08-30-2007 at 08:20 PM
Chaco
Rank Points: 3624
Or, potentially, golems that act like goblins except they can move into pits or water and die that way (thus retaining the "stupid golem" factor) :)

08-30-2007 at 09:41 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
calamarain
Rank Points: 933
Kwakstur wrote:
Kevin_P86 wrote:
Actually, I think this would be best used with Custom NPCs.
Besides, with Custom NPCs, you can make Goblin Golems (GGs) look distinguishable from Rock Golems.
Yeah, because if they were the same, it would really annoy the player, especially if there were two types. e.g. you have real golems and "goblin golems" in the same room. Looking identical. That defeats the DROD spirit of being able to tell what is happening at a look.

08-30-2007 at 10:08 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Jatopian
Rank Points: 1842
As one of those who has requested this before, I heartily endorse this idea.

08-30-2007 at 11:16 PM
Mattcrampy
Rank Points: 2388
I worry that this is going to turn out like pushable blocks, but anyways: can people give me some sort of puzzle potential for making a character act like a monster temporarily that doesn't involve being cheap?

08-31-2007 at 04:54 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
hartleyhair
It would simplify scripting to create a custom monster, which isn't actually possible currently. I suppose it wouldn't be utterly necessary if you put it that way, but it would greatly help stories along...

08-31-2007 at 07:20 AM
mrimer
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 5056
hartleyhair wrote:
It would simplify scripting to create a custom monster, which isn't actually possible currently. I suppose it wouldn't be utterly necessary if you put it that way, but it would greatly help stories along...
So...hmm...am I correct in understanding that you're claiming that making an NPC able to walk toward the player *exactly* like a roach would help story better than the current "Move to player" ability an NPC has now? Or enabling an NPC avoiding the player's sword like a goblin? Just want to make sure we're on the same page.

And I come back to you now at the turn of the tide.

[Last edited by mrimer at 08-31-2007 05:21 PM]
08-31-2007 at 05:16 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Monkey
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 190
You could make it so that a roach all of a sudden wants to kill you, and 5 turns later, he stops.

08-31-2007 at 05:24 PM
Chaco
Rank Points: 3624
Basically, we want to be able to build monsters with roach-like behavior, except with horizontal movement preference, or the ability to move backwards if blocked in the directions prefered, or something. Hopefully such "enhanced" behavior will be explained clearly by architects, and not used in cheap manners such as Monkey described.

At least, this is what I think is being requested here. Correct me if I'm wrong.

08-31-2007 at 05:28 PM
coppro
Rank Points: 1308
Unless I'm mistaken, why not just add an imperative for roach-like movement? Then all you need is to use Imperative Beelining and then Move to Player, and any illusion problems are solved.
08-31-2007 at 07:19 PM
View Profile Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Tim
Rank Points: 1979
Monkey wrote:
You could make it so that a roach all of a sudden wants to kill you, and 5 turns later, he stops.
You are right. This is the only use I can think of.

Which makes it not-worth-the-effort, since these 5 steps can be scripted using existing commands.

08-31-2007 at 07:40 PM
hartleyhair
mrimer wrote:
hartleyhair wrote:
So...hmm...am I correct in understanding that you're claiming that making an NPC able to walk toward the player *exactly* like a roach would help story better than the current "Move to player" ability an NPC has now? Or enabling an NPC avoiding the player's sword like a goblin? Just want to make sure we're on the same page.

Yes.

08-31-2007 at 08:29 PM
TFMurphy
Rank Points: 3118
icon Re: Scripting: Simulate Monster Movement (+2)  
eytanz once had something to say about "attacks by failure of imagination". Which is probably something to keep in mind: just because you haven't thought up a good use for something yet doesn't mean that none exist.

Anyways, please keep in mind the various different movement possibilities. I'll list them, in fact:

Beeline: Roaches, Spiders, Tar/Mud Babies, Seep(*)
Direct: Gel Babies, Rock Golems
Flexible Beeline: Guards, Rock Giants(*), Aumtlich(*)
Misc: Wraithwing, Goblin, Roach Queen, Slayers, Serpents, Brained Monsters

The ones I've listed with (*) have additional factors that seperate them from normal movement. For instance, Seeps don't *quite* follow basic Beelining movement: instead of a vertical movement preference, they choose the orthogonal direction that their target is more in the direction of. In other words, if their target is more South than East, then they'll prefer South if SE is blocked. Only if both distances are equal will they express their vertical preference.

Now, true, some of the above movements can already be scripted. Others... can't. And they're the more interesting ones. NPCs which can follow the orders of brains can be very useful, especially when creating new monsters. Even more interesting are NPCs with the *property* of brains (they give out orders until they disappear or are killed).

But let's go for something simple. An NPC with the movement preference of a Roach Queen. Is this currently scriptable? There isn't a Move Away From Player command. And you won't be simulating a brained Roach Queen anytime soon.

Are these useful? Is it possible to think of non-cheap puzzles using them? Well, I don't know: what would you say about an NPC that gave brain functionality but moved as a brained Roach Queen? Don't automatically say "that's cheap": things are only as cheap as they're used. We've shown quite well that you don't need scripting to be 'cheap', and equally well that scripting used well doesn't have to be cheap either.

The key thing here is power and choice in the hands of the architect. If an architect uses it well, it would certainly be a very powerful tool. If used badly... well, it's no different from a hold getting a bad score because some other feature was used badly.

Anyways, I'd say the most important movement tendencies to simulate would be: Beeline, Direct, Flexible and Retreat, the ability to use Brained movement inherently (like Guards), the ability to follow Brains if they exist, and the ability to give Brain-commands to other monsters/NPCs. Whether Goblins, Slayers and Wraithwings should be added to the mix can be debated: some of these are likely going to be easier to work with in the future iteration Mike has chatted about with Player and Monster position and orientation being variable controlled and collected.

But all that is on top of the basics, and it really does seem strange that there's no way to directly simulate roach movement right now.

[Last edited by TFMurphy at 08-31-2007 09:15 PM]
08-31-2007 at 09:08 PM
Kwakstur
Yeah. As I've said before elsewhere, the problem with Move to entity Beethro is that neither Direct-Only nor Flexible Beelining perfectly simulate a roach. There are some differences that I forget, but many have to do with the sword position.

EDIT: Collision. I was agreeing with hartleyhair. Although, actually, my post still makes sense after TFMurphy's; I guess it also looks like I'm agreeing with him.

[Last edited by Kwakstur at 08-31-2007 09:13 PM]
08-31-2007 at 09:10 PM
coppro
Rank Points: 1308
Rock Giants wouldn't be simulatable (?) even if this request were implemented[/nitpick]
08-31-2007 at 09:28 PM
View Profile Show all user's posts Quote Reply
TFMurphy
coppro wrote:
Rock Giants wouldn't be simulatable (?) even if this request were implemented[/nitpick]

-_- ... They were an *example* of the movement type known as Flexible Beelining - their quirk (which they share with Aumtlich) is that they can Flank as well when in close-quarters, and can thus get past things like targets standing on Force Arrows. (Guards, instead, just use their stabbing AI when then they're that close)

No one here suggested that Rock Giants be fully simulated, so there was no nit to pick.
08-31-2007 at 09:54 PM
Tim
TFMurphy wrote:
eytanz once had something to say about "attacks by failure of imagination". Which is probably something to keep in mind: just because you haven't thought up a good use for something yet doesn't mean that none exist.
On the other hand, if there were really lots of good uses to this, it had probably already been built in. At this moment I can think of at least 10 other ideas that would have more interesting uses than this one, and are easier to create.

Now, true, some of the above movements can already be scripted. Others... can't. And they're the more interesting ones. NPCs which can follow the orders of brains can be very useful, especially when creating new monsters.
Now this is a prime example of "attacks by failure of imagination". Especially because I think I can. It might not look exactly what you want, but sure it is possible. For example, it might not stop at 5 steps but will move like a queen for the rest of the room if you use the turn into monster command.

Are these useful? Is it possible to think of non-cheap puzzles using them? Well, I don't know: what would you say about an NPC that gave brain functionality but moved as a brained Roach Queen? Don't automatically say "that's cheap": things are only as cheap as they're used. We've shown quite well that you don't need scripting to be 'cheap', and equally well that scripting used well doesn't have to be cheap either.
I don't need to say it's cheap. Because what it's being asked is something like 'turn into monster for x turns'. And if it's only for a few turns, it's scriptable, even if you have to cheat. The usefulness of this is not even a question here.

The key thing here is power and choice in the hands of the architect. If an architect uses it well, it would certainly be a very powerful tool. If used badly... well, it's no different from a hold getting a bad score because some other feature was used badly.
Absolutely. I can probably prove that everything on this Board is a tool. I doubt, however, about the fact that this one is "powerful". This feature is already being requested for at least four times, and each time it was a long thread, and if it had any real, good, puzzle-related use I'm sure some architect would have said it by now, don't you think?

08-31-2007 at 10:31 PM
TFMurphy
Tim wrote:
On the other hand, if there were really lots of good uses to this, it had probably already been built in. At this moment I can think of at least 10 other ideas that would have more interesting uses than this one, and are easier to create.

I think you overestimate the difficulty of this request. Getting the extra movement behaviours in wouldn't actually take all that much work: no extra graphic resources needed, most of the logic is already coded, it all just needs to be tied into Characters as well.

Tim wrote:
Now this is a prime example of "attacks by failure of imagination". Especially because I think I can. It might not look exactly what you want, but sure it is possible. For example, it might not stop at 5 steps but will move like a queen for the rest of the room if you use the turn into monster command.

No. That's *be* a monster for 5 steps (and then continue for the rest of the room). Not *move* like a monster for 5 steps. There's more to monsters than their movement preferences. What makes a Wubba different from a Golem? Inherent abilities are also an extra facet in this. Becoming a monster means that you take on all the abilities of the monster, not just their movement preferences. And who says you want to run away from the player just to lay roach eggs?

Tim wrote:
Absolutely. I can probably prove that everything on this Board is a tool. I doubt, however, about the fact that this one is "powerful". This feature is already being requested for at least four times, and each time it was a long thread, and if it had any real, good, puzzle-related use I'm sure some architect would have said it by now, don't you think?

<shrug> I gave an example of a monster-type that could have uses. It's also come up many times that "you can't have roach-type movement with Custom NPCs currently". So no Custom Tiles with roach-like behaviour. And definitely no following brain orders. Where's the cheapness in that?

And consider exactly how Wraithwings were coded. They use one movement tendency up to a particular distance from the player, and then a different movement tendency when closer. Did this have no good puzzle-related use? We all had to learn about Wraithwings when we first started playing DROD. And architects had to learn how to use them well too.

New monsters created by architects are exactly like that. Properly introduced, there is most certainly puzzle potential. Of course, some things are more restricted right now due to the lack of relational tools (not knowing distance from the player, finding it tricky to decide what tiles are nearby and the like), but those are different feature requests themselves.

Even if nothing else (and I'm quite sure that you could definitely come up with clever and non-cheap puzzles revolving around it anyways), it provides more consistency on various story avenues that architects may wish to explore, and it's still not really that difficult a feature to add. Hell, I may even give it a go myself once 3.1's final.
08-31-2007 at 11:00 PM
Kwakstur
coppro wrote:
Well, since there is no "Wait for sword on me" command, we can try something interesting:
How about an enemy that becomes an obstacle when nudged (like a very unstable robot, for example). We can still make it die in response to the player:
Imperative Invulnerable
Wait for player to touch me
Imperative Die Special
But, yes, point taken: We cannot script an actual Rock Golem with the current list of commands.

If you'll excuse me, I think I'm gonna go request something . . .

09-01-2007 at 12:11 AM
Tim
TFMurphy wrote:
No. That's *be* a monster for 5 steps (and then continue for the rest of the room). Not *move* like a monster for 5 steps. There's more to monsters than their movement preferences.
I was saying that as an example, because that is easier to explain. The harder way is to *simulate* them. Simulating a character movement for x turns is not difficult, I've already done that in my JtRH hold. And I didn't needed a special command back then.

What makes a Wubba different from a Golem? Inherent abilities are also an extra facet in this. Becoming a monster means that you take on all the abilities of the monster, not just their movement preferences. And who says you want to run away from the player just to lay roach eggs?
You've said that already. Within the hands of a good architect, you can avoid this problem easily. But again, you need a good architect in the first place.
<shrug> I gave an example of a monster-type that could have uses. It's also come up many times that "you can't have roach-type movement with Custom NPCs currently". So no Custom Tiles with roach-like behaviour. And definitely no following brain orders. Where's the cheapness in that?
The cheapness is the fact that you are not asking for a NPC with roach-type movement, but you are asking for a monster with roach-type movement. We've got it already. It's called a roach.

New monsters created by architects are exactly like that. Properly introduced, there is most certainly puzzle potential.
I disagree with that. Even when not properly introduced, everything has puzzle potential. Rayguns have puzzle potential. Pushable boxes have puzzle potential. Hell, even empty rooms have puzzle potential!

Even if nothing else (and I'm quite sure that you could definitely come up with clever and non-cheap puzzles revolving around it anyways), it provides more consistency on various story avenues that architects may wish to explore, and it's still not really that difficult a feature to add. Hell, I may even give it a go myself once 3.1's final.
I don't think clevernes and non-cheapness is the problem here. I've actually already experimented with this kind of new movement before. Moving an NPC for only a few turns turned out to be very confusing, even if the movement I used was totally predictable to the player.

If you really have any interesting monster in mind, why don't you just make a feature request for those instead? From my experience, most of those monster requests were simply not interesting enough to justify the inclusion. And if this request can only make those kind of monsters, then they are probably not interesting.

09-01-2007 at 12:15 AM
Kwakstur
icon Re: Scripting: Simulate Monster Movement (+1)  
Tim wrote:
If you really have any interesting monster in mind, why don't you just make a feature request for those instead? From my experience, most of those monster requests were simply not interesting enough to justify the inclusion. And if this request can only make those kind of monsters, then they are probably not interesting.
There is a big difference between "interesting enough to standardize as an element" and "interesting enough to script in a hold."

09-01-2007 at 12:23 AM
Tim
Kwakstur wrote:
There is a big difference between "interesting enough to standardize as an element" and "interesting enough to script in a hold."
Exactly. The difference is, that we will be stuck with the "less interesting monsters", rather than the really cool ones.

09-01-2007 at 12:32 AM
TFMurphy
icon Re: Scripting: Simulate Monster Movement (+2)  
Tim wrote:
The cheapness is the fact that you are not asking for a NPC with roach-type movement, but you are asking for a monster with roach-type movement. We've got it already. It's called a roach.

Wrong, that *isn't* solely what's being asked for. The movement alone does not define the monster... or the NPC. What if you don't want it Deadly? Or want it to ignore brains? Or want it to fly over pits? Again, we bring up the fact that Flexible Beelining is *not* Roach movement: it's unbrained Guard movement.

Tim wrote:
I don't think clevernes and non-cheapness is the problem here. I've actually already experimented with this kind of new movement before. Moving an NPC for only a few turns turned out to be very confusing, even if the movement I used was totally predictable to the player.

Again, it depends on what you want to do with it. Who says it needs to be a few turns? Who says it can't be all the time?

"But then why not just turn it into the monster in the first place?" Because the exact mechanics of the monster may not even exist. There's already several properties a character can have that monsters might not have in certain combinations. There's also the fact that this ends up being a monster directly under scripting control, which means more can be done with it. As a move involved example, how about a room containing a single brain and a bunch of NPCs (Guards or Citizens or whatever). We'd say the story for the room is that the brain has control of the Guards and is turning them against you. If you kill the brain, the NPCs regain their senses and stop attacking. The puzzle of the room would be to get to the brain and kill it without killing or being killed by the NPCs.

But you're now constrained to only two different types of movement: Flexible Beelining (can sidestep obstacles) and Direct (stupid-like golems). Neither can take advantage of a brain pathmap on top of that.

That's just one example off the top of my head, given fifteen minutes. Not all that involved an example, but it's certainly a possibility.

Tim wrote:

Interesting enough is always balanced against difficulty of inclusion. A whole new monster eventually ends up needing several things for DROD: consistency and linkage into the Eighth, graphics and possibly sound work, new constants and IDs scattered around the code, and so forth.

The difficulty between adding things to Character scripting versus adding an entirely new monster to the editor is an entirely different level of integration. Which is why new monsters are that much more difficult to request than script.

And regarding how they're "probably not interesting": simple changes can be *very* interesting. Many holds have things based around *tiny* changes to a room that makes things ever so different. Some of the best ideas in DROD are also just simple changes to existing formulas: Orthosquares and Direct Movement made us think more about restrictions and how to work around them. We've even had several varieties of mosnters added that are basically just variants on a theme.

And even "less interesting monsters" can be interesting enough for a hold. It's not like we don't have holds based around that sort of thing either, and some are quite well received.

So really, I don't see what the problem is against what would be a reasonably easy set of additions to make for use by all architects in whatever imaginative way they can come up with, especially when compared to the work required for an entirely new monster. And we eventually come back to the fact that even if we ignore *everything* else: the absolute most basic movement-type - Roach Movement - is not possible for characters, while the other two are.
09-01-2007 at 02:55 AM
Page 1 of 2
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Feature Requests : Scripting: Simulate Monster Movement (This would be so useful)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com