Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : General : Quick DROD Teaser
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
agaricus5
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1838
IP: Logged
icon Quick DROD Teaser (0)  
Oh, well, my last attempt at this failed, but I promise that I have a proper puzzle in the making which I will have finished soon. However, in the meantime, just to get your thinking gears in motion and to provide an introduction to the storyline behind the main puzzle, here is a small riddle for you to solve:

\"The Study Of The Dungeon (Part 1)\"

Having decided that he needed a break from doing his junk tidying in his house and that he should get some fresh air, Beethro decided to go for a walk. It was a warm, sunny day and so he decided to go to the old field not far from his house to find out what the commotion that appeared to be taking place on it was.
On his way to the field, one of his younger nephews came running up to him.
\"Uncle Beethro, Uncle Beethro!\" he cried, \"I need your help!\"
\"What do you want now?\" asked Beethro.
\"I need some help with homework. It\'s this new subject that everybody\'s being taught at school - \'The Study of the Dungeon and Its Inhabitants\', or something like that, and it\'s really hard.\"
Beethro, when he had heard this, stopped for a moment and wondered how on earth King Dugan had managed to change the school curriculum so profoundly without any opposition. \"He probably is trying to get more people into the dungeon extermination trade just so that he can scare them and the general public into approving and doing the free extermination and renovation tasks he simply can\'t afford himself,\" he thought to himself.
\"Anyway,\" continued his nephew, \"I really need some help now because I have a big project to recearch tonight, \'How Dungeons Get Populated So Quickly\' and I might not have enough time to do it if you don\'t help me.\"
\"Ok, ok,\" said Beethro. \"What is the problem?\"
\"The problem is - \'Supposing that you have a stationary and frozen roach, and you can place yourself in any of the squares around it with your sword pointing in any direction, as long as you don\'t kill it instantly, in how many different ways can you kill the roach if you can only make one move after placing yourself on the floor?\" said his nephew. \"Since you are a dungeon exterminator, you should know the answer. Please, please help me.\"
Moved by the look of worry on his nephew\'s face, he had not the heart to tell him that he didn\'t know the answer at that moment, and had not a clue as to what to do about it without upsetting him.

Can you help Beethro and his nephew by solving the problem for them?

If it is hard to understand, tell me and I\'ll re-phrase it in the best way I can.

Good Luck!

Wesley Chua

Edited because I made a mistake.

[Edited by agaricus5 on 03-25-2003 at 08:23 PM GMT]

03-25-2003 at 08:14 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Ferday
Level: Roachling
Rank Points: 10
icon Re: Quick DROD Teaser (0)  
Beethro can kill the roach by ending his move adjacent to the roach with his sword directly on the roach. There are eight different such positions.

In each case, Beethro could have ended up there after swinging his sword in either direction, or by walking from one of the seven adjacent non-roach cells. Therefore, there are nine preceding moves for each of the eight finishing positions.

That makes 72 different killing moves.

(I assume that by \"you can place yourself in any of the squares around it\" you meant any cell nearby, not just those directly adjacent)
03-25-2003 at 09:24 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
agaricus5
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1838
icon Re: Quick DROD Teaser (0)  
Absolutly correct!

But...This is a purposefully easy question for the reason that it is only intended to set the scene for the next puzzle, which I assure you will be very hard indeed, so keep your minds working...

Wesley Chua

03-25-2003 at 09:48 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : General : Quick DROD Teaser
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com