Announcement: Remember: you are giving away your fantastic ideas for free, and somebody else might even make money from them (or appear to). That's just how the world works! If you're worried about it, maybe you shouldn't post your ideas here.

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Feature Requests : A different feature request
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
Curzon
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 92
IP: Logged
icon A different feature request (0)  
After reading that hilarious thread about the triple raygun (and the motorcycle), I felt like writing what I want to write since some time already.

For the next release I hope there is
NO further three letter slime variant (I believe words are exhausted as well as good variants).
NO more snake variants
NO nifty new features

Let me explain: The best feature in the original DROD was by far the goblin (apart from the general idea). Simple logic, wonderful behavior alone, perfect behavior in groups, flavorwise great, and immense puzzle potential, followed by the large monsters (tar ans serpent).
The best feature in Rooted Hold (apart from undo) was the guard because of an interesting limit that was crossed and its very natural behavior and interesting group behaviour.
The best feature in TCB are the closing doors, because they round a feature nicely up, and the arrow shifter, because they make an architectural element to a full puzzle element.

See a trend here (as far as three points can suggest a trend)? The best features complete the game without creating something really new.

That said, I think we have seen it. With the extremely powerful scripting anything is possible. To make DROD interesting in the future (apart from the great community creating ever new and tricky dungeons) it needs a revolution. Something completely different. Unfortunately I have no idea what that should be.
3d sounds always good, but it would face the curse of dimensionality. Something that breaks the rules (and not only in the means of "up to now all monsters were completely removed when they died").

PS: I love wonderquests character abilites. (if you don't know what I am talking about look here http://forum.caravelgames.com/viewboard.php?BoardID=91). It makes it feel different from DROD but still bears the same spirit. Does anyone understand what I want to express?
08-27-2007 at 09:58 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Jeff_Ray...
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 962
icon Re: A different feature request (0)  
I think the next DROD will be like Super Paper Mario: A remake of the original but with RPG elements... unless I'm wrong somewhere.

Currently playing:
Click here to view the secret text

My Holds:
-Completed:

-Work in Progress:

08-27-2007 at 11:38 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Kwakstur
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 385
icon Re: A different feature request (+1)  
Jeff_Ray... wrote:
I think the next DROD will be like Super Paper Mario: A remake of the original but with RPG elements... unless I'm wrong somewhere.
Depends on which game "the original" is. If it's Super Mario or any other Mario game with the word "Super", you're correct. If it's Paper Mario or any other Mario game with the word "Paper", you're incorrect.

"Super" means it's a platformer. It doesn't have to be 2D, but it has to be a platformer.
"Bros." seems to have no significance, as not every "Bros." game has Luigi. They are all 2D, but there are also 2D games without "Bros."
"Paper" means it has all the attributes of a Paper Mario game, including 3D and RPG elements.
"and Luigi" means it is of the Superstar Saga series, which means it's an RPG, you deal more damage than in Paper Mario, there are Mario and Luigi, and they have thier own buttons.
"Super Mario Advance" means it's a remake on the GBA. In fact, there are no GBA games with the word "super" that aren't remakes ("superstar" does not count)

That's just a few Mario prefixes and suffixes.

08-28-2007 at 12:01 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Jatopian
Rank Points: 1842
Curzon wrote:
That said, I think we have seen it. With the extremely powerful scripting anything is possible. To make DROD interesting in the future (apart from the great community creating ever new and tricky dungeons)
Whoa there. First, the scripting isn't all that flexible despite good advances; second, people said the same thing in the JtRH era and were wrong; third, no.

08-28-2007 at 01:54 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
zonhin
Rank Points: 99
icon Re: A different feature request (-6)  
Kwakstur wrote:
Jeff_Ray... wrote:
Depends on which game "the original" is. If it's Super Mario or any other Mario game with the word "Super", you're correct. If it's Paper Mario or any other Mario game with the word "Paper", you're incorrect.

"Super" means it's a platformer. It doesn't have to be 2D, but it has to be a platformer.
"Bros." seems to have no significance, as not every "Bros." game has Luigi. They are all 2D, but there are also 2D games without "Bros."
"Paper" means it has all the attributes of a Paper Mario game, including 3D and RPG elements.
"and Luigi" means it is of the Superstar Saga series, which means it's an RPG, you deal more damage than in Paper Mario, there are Mario and Luigi, and they have thier own buttons.
"Super Mario Advance" means it's a remake on the GBA. In fact, there are no GBA games with the word "super" that aren't remakes ("superstar" does not count)

That's just a few Mario prefixes and suffixes.

Woah. You do have autism don't you? I never would have noticed that. Good job.

Till time went and told me to say hello but wave goodbye

[Last edited by zonhin at 08-28-2007 02:01 AM]
08-28-2007 at 02:01 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Jason
Rank Points: 1076
Wow! 3 Banjooie avatars in a row! :crazy

08-28-2007 at 07:56 AM
Kwakstur
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 385
Jason wrote:
And the fourth (or I should say, the first) isn't even there!

Or the second.

Okay, I mean Dex and Banj himself.

[Last edited by Kwakstur at 08-28-2007 02:55 PM]
08-28-2007 at 02:54 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Someone Else
Rank Points: 1305
Jason wrote:

Stop triple posting Banjooie!!
08-28-2007 at 03:58 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
zonhin
Rank Points: 99
zonhin wrote:
Woah. You do have autism don't you? I never would have noticed that. Good job.

I'd like to apologize for this post. Don't post while tired.

Till time went and told me to say hello but wave goodbye
08-28-2007 at 04:10 PM
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Feature Requests : A different feature request
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com