Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Other Boards : Anything : Has had it up to here
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
droddude21
Level: Goblin
Rank Points: 15
IP: Logged
icon Has had it up to here (0)  
Childkind has always had a small problem. Our kind has thought to be a bunch of "widdle sweety sweet babies.". This stereotyping makes me sick. We know darn well how to vote!
Some of us are barely polite enough to tell Aunt Nellie that we would rather go tottaly nude then wear that ugly Telletubbies shirt that barely fits you. Please, tslk with the managment at popular kid's places in your area, so we can stop this madness.
11-21-2003 at 02:49 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Mattcrampy
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2388
icon Re: Has had it up to here (0)  
Funnily enough, I've suffered under the same problem, although I did enjoy the copious amount of discounts and the like I always recieved for being young and small, and I'd hate that to stop because I enjoyed it so much.

On the other hand, there's something to be said for age. For one thing, you learn better ways of putting things, something I still need to learn.

Matt

11-22-2003 at 06:02 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
agaricus5
Rank Points: 1838
droddude21 wrote:
Childkind has always had a small problem. Our kind has thought to be a bunch of "widdle sweety sweet babies.". This stereotyping makes me sick. We know darn well how to vote!
Some of us are barely polite enough to tell Aunt Nellie that we would rather go tottaly nude then wear that ugly Telletubbies shirt that barely fits you. Please, tslk with the managment at popular kid's places in your area, so we can stop this madness.
I suppose you have a point to a point, but I don't agree all the way. I do think you need to make your point clear about what exactly you mean by being "mature enough" is (I infer from reading between the lines) if you want to argue the point. Because you mention voting, it looks like you are effectively saying you think you are as mature as an adult and should be treated so. Am I correct or assuming way too much?

11-22-2003 at 09:02 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
DiMono
Rank Points: 1181
I've long felt that using age as a determining factor for how mature or ready you are for various things was unfair. Unfortunately, people mature at differing rates. I, for example, was very mature at age 14, while there are people I know who are 26 who still have a lot of growing up to do.

Closest I can figure, the reason for using age for such things as voting rights has to do with worldly experience; you need to have spent time outside high school and outside the home. The only reasonable way to make sure people have enough worldly experience to make important decisions is to wait until an age at which they must, by definition, have been forced to live in the real world without the comforting protection of their parents hanging over their every move.

Age restrictions are being lowered in some cases, though. Right now, in Canada, statutory rape laws have been changed according to new restrictions on young people and sex: As I understand it, from ages 14-18 you're allowed to have sex with someone within 2 years of you who's also 14 or older, and if you're 18 you're also allowed sex with anyone older than you. If I'm wrong on this, someone please correct me.

This change came from the fact that people are maturing and learning about sex at a much younger age than we used to. As young people demonstrate that they are, on the whole, more mature, the laws will bend and change around that fact and slowly allow more rights to younger people.

11-22-2003 at 09:14 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
eytanz
Rank Points: 2708
I don't really have much of a stance about the general issue - but in this specific case, I don't think Droddude has been doing a very good job of convincing me he's mature enough for anything.

For one, I'd be very glad if the right to vote was denied from anyone who thinks "Some of us are barely polite enough to tell Aunt Nellie that we would rather go tottaly nude then wear that ugly Telletubbies shirt that barely fits you" is a good argument for anything, no matter what their age.

[Edited by eytanz on 11-22-2003 at 09:46 PM GMT: age =/= case]

11-22-2003 at 09:25 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
agaricus5
eytanz wrote:
I don't really have much of a stance about the general issue - but in this specific age, I don't think Droddude has been doing a very good job of convincing me he's mature enough for anything.

For one, I'd be very glad if the right to vote was denied from anyone who thinks "Some of us are barely polite enough to tell Aunt Nellie that we would rather go tottaly nude then wear that ugly Telletubbies shirt that barely fits you" is a good argument for anything, no matter what their age.

[Edited by eytanz on 11-22-2003 at 09:26 PM GMT]
Well put, although it was a little bluntly said. I wanted to say that myself, but I couldn't find a polite enough way in my opinion to do it, thus proving that I am being hypocritical myself in the space of two sentences, and that I should stop now.

:D

11-22-2003 at 09:32 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
droddude21
All right. Maybe you are right. All I ever wanted in this forum were some friends to talk about DROD with. But never mind. :~(
11-23-2003 at 02:25 AM
droddude21
By the way, agaricus5, I am an mature adult.
Maybe not here, (rubs two hands down hid body), but in here. (points to his chest).
:(
11-23-2003 at 02:28 AM
DiMono
droddude21 wrote:
By the way, agaricus5, I am an mature adult.
Maybe not here, (rubs two hands down hid body), but in here. (points to his chest).
:(
Until this post, I was giving you the benefit of the doubt, thinking you might have something reasonably intelligent to say. Getting beyond the abominable grammar and horrible spelling, nobody cares how old your heart donor was; it's all about how developed your mind and intelligence are, and so far you've done a wonderful job of demonstrating just how mentally mature you are.

Now, that was harsh, which I apologize for, but I wanted to make sure my point got across. Here are a couple simple tips to win back everyone's graces:

Before you post a message, double check your grammar, spelling and content to make sure it's going to present your point clearly and succinctly.

Reread your message and think about what you'd think if you were reading the exact same message posted by someone else.

Remember that nobody likes a whiner, so make sure your message doesn't come across that way.

And finally, I recommend that you swallow your pride and start a thread that apologizes for any offense you might have caused anyone, and explaining what your real intention was. I guarantee you'll receive much encouragement from that thread, as nobody here wants to lose any forum members.

I'm sure you'll end up being a valued forum contributor, it just takes a little effort to figure out how things work, like everything else worth doing.

[Edited by DiMono on 11-23-2003 at 04:04 AM GMT]

11-23-2003 at 04:03 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
agaricus5
droddude21 wrote:
All right. Maybe you are right. All I ever wanted in this forum were some friends to talk about DROD with. But never mind. :~(
I don't think I meant any offence and I'll admit, compared to other things that have been said before, this was rather blunt.

I apologise for the above, and for everything else that has spun off from this. Nobody really means any harm even though it seems that way.

11-23-2003 at 10:48 AM
zex20913
Rank Points: 1723
Wow...what did he do to you guys?

11-23-2003 at 09:33 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
agaricus5
zex20913 wrote:

I think we just reacted a little too over the top to someone with a markedly different personality coming on the forum. Hopefully no-one at all has taken offence (If anyone has, I'll ask Schik to remove this entire topic) and we'll all be amiable to each other once again.

:flowers

11-23-2003 at 09:55 PM
eytanz
zex20913 wrote:

He didn't do anything - but personally I see no reason to apologize - people who come in and immediately start shouting "give me attention!" (which is what every single one of his posts was saying) can't be choosey as to what kind of attention they get.

11-23-2003 at 10:00 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Oneiromancer
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2936
eytanz wrote:
He didn't do anything - but personally I see no reason to apologize - people who come in and immediately start shouting "give me attention!" (which is what every single one of his posts was saying) can't be choosey as to what kind of attention they get.

That is extremely well put. Profound, even. (And no, I'm not being sarcastic.)

Game on,

"He who is certain he knows the ending of things when he is only beginning them is either extremely wise or extremely foolish; no matter which is true, he is certainly an unhappy man, for he has put a knife in the heart of wonder." -- Tad Williams
11-23-2003 at 10:33 PM
Zmann
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 241
DiMono wrote:
nobody cares how old your heart donor was

That was pretty good. You deserve a Pepsi :pepsi. Wow, this Pepsi smiley is more useful than I originally thought. This one on the other hand, I have yet to find a use for. :snorkle

[Edited by Zmann on 11-24-2003 at 03:00 AM GMT]
11-24-2003 at 02:57 AM
eytanz
Zmann wrote:
I have yet to find a use for. :snorkle

I suggested one in this thread:
http://www.drod.net/forum/viewtopic.php?TopicID=1692&page=1

[Edited by eytanz on 11-24-2003 at 03:00 AM GMT]

11-24-2003 at 03:00 AM
DiMono
Just use that smiley when suggesting another 5 levels for Dugan's Dungeon that take place underwater

11-24-2003 at 03:28 AM
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Other Boards : Anything : Has had it up to here
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com