Announcement: Remember: you are giving away your fantastic ideas for free, and somebody else might even make money from them (or appear to). That's just how the world works! If you're worried about it, maybe you shouldn't post your ideas here.

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Feature Requests : Hold Doors (Look at this)
Page 1 of 2
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
Samuel
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 69
IP: Logged
icon Hold Doors (0)  
How about a grey coloured door that only opens when all the levels in the hold are complete.

How about that?

even if it's in your mind. Who's to
say that dreams and nightmares
aren't as real as the here and now?
John Lennon
08-23-2007 at 11:19 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Jatopian
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1842
icon Re: Hold Doors (0)  
Master wall.
Yes, it isn't exactly what you're asking for, but you can easily make it so with a secret room behind every blue door.

08-23-2007 at 11:21 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
vittro
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 479
Variables and NPCs...

08-24-2007 at 12:42 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Kwakstur
Rank Points: 385
vittro wrote:
Variables and NPCs...
What, so nothing that can be scripted is a reasonable request?

This discussion has been made before. You shouldn't just dismiss something because it's scriptable. Because, if you think about it, it's almost possible to script anything (aside from some certain stuff, like that which uses another key or the mouse pointer).

08-24-2007 at 02:21 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Mattcrampy
Rank Points: 2388
Something that is common enough for several people to write a script for is probably worth incorporating as an element. Just so this is clear.

08-24-2007 at 10:51 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
mrimer
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 5064
Sure. Maybe vittro was just pointing out there's a current workaround possible, and not just dismissing the request.

Which reminds me...The Fool's Errand could be upgraded to work properly again in 3.0 by having custom NPCs use variables to act like
Click here to view the secret text

And I come back to you now at the turn of the tide.
08-24-2007 at 04:57 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
vittro
Yeah, I'm not saying it's a bad idea, also, it could be useful... I'm just saying it's already possible using scripting :)

08-24-2007 at 05:22 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Kevin_P86
Rank Points: 535
vittro wrote:
Yeah, I'm not saying it's a bad idea, also, it could be useful... I'm just saying it's already possible using scripting :)
At this point I'm pretty sure DROD scripting is Turing Complete, which means ANYTHING a computer can do is possible with DROD scripting.

08-24-2007 at 07:30 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
RoboBob3000
Rank Points: 1978
mrimer wrote:
Which reminds me...The Fool's Errand could be upgraded to work properly again in 3.0 by having custom NPCs use variables to act like

08-24-2007 at 07:39 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
mrimer
Kevin_P86 wrote:
vittro wrote:
At this point I'm pretty sure DROD scripting is Turing Complete, which means ANYTHING a computer can do is possible with DROD scripting.
Hmm...I've been wondering whether 3.0 scripting can do general purpose subroutines. I guess you could rig subroutines by setting a variable (heh, return address) before going to a label and then querying that var to decide where to jump back to in your script to return to the call point.

What else may be an issue...ah, yes -- the infinite or content-addressable memory. We don't allow that...yet?

[Last edited by mrimer at 08-26-2007 06:56 PM]
08-24-2007 at 07:40 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
vittro
Thinking again it can be done also without scripting, but uses lots of stairs and rooms...

08-24-2007 at 09:34 PM
Kevin_P86
Rank Points: 535
vittro wrote:
Thinking again it can be done also without scripting, but uses lots of stairs and rooms...
Are you perhaps referring to having an extra level which has one room corresponding to each other level (which is only accessible after dropping the blue door in its respective level), and using a blue door in this level to act as this "hold door"?

08-25-2007 at 12:10 AM
Samuel
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 69
I think we should just have the doors vitro cause sometimes scripting well lets just say i don't sorta know how tio work much of it out yet

even if it's in your mind. Who's to
say that dreams and nightmares
aren't as real as the here and now?
John Lennon
08-25-2007 at 02:25 AM
Remlin
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 181
icon Re: Hold Doors (+1)  
While "it's scriptable" may not be a good reason in general to deny a feature request, in this particular case I think scripting is a better solution than a new element.

If your hold was linear, there wouldn't be any need for this gate at all. So we're dealing with a non-linear dungeon, which means there's some story reason for why you can't go somewhere yet. You haven't collected enough treasure; you didn't drink the five Elixirs of Frightful Vermicide; you haven't rescued all the hostages yet. Whatever it is, a script would be the more appealing way to move the story along than just another gate type.
08-25-2007 at 02:45 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
trick
Rank Points: 2580
mrimer wrote:
Hmm...I've been wondering whether 3.0 scripting can do general purpose subroutines. I guess you could rig subroutines by setting a variable (heh, return address) before going to a label and then querying that var to decide where to jump back to in your script to return to the call point.
I've used this technique in a wip hold of mine. It's very useful, a script which would otherwise be thousands of lines fits neatly in a couple hundred lines in stead (it also uses plenty of loops, so that helps too), and of course it's easier to change stuff. It does have the disadvantage of having to define all return points in the subroutine though, since you can't jump to a variable label. (As a side note, such compact scripts might easily extend the limit of instructions per turn if it only does turn-less commands, so you'll have to insert waits to prevent the infinite loop detector from getting panicy..)

Another way to implement "subroutines" is to simulate system calls with a control variable. Set the control variable to a certain value to schedule a call, and then wait for the variable to signal the call is done. Another script in the room contains the subroutines. It's got a loop that catches the change in the control variable and executes the subroutines. Arguments and results are passed in variables. Avoids the issue of having to define return points since there isn't any (essentially we're doing an interrupt in stead), and with some extra protection you can even share the subroutines between several scripts this way (exceptionally bottle-necked, but hey). It's heavy-weight though, switching between scripts this way takes a turn, but for some situations that doesn't matter too much (in fact, it might even be required to avoid those false infinite loops I mentioned above).

08-27-2007 at 11:03 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
mrimer
trick wrote:
As a side note, such compact scripts might easily extend the limit of instructions per turn if it only does turn-less commands, so you'll have to insert waits to prevent the infinite loop detector from getting panicy..
In 3.0, checks for infinite loops are relaxed past N, the number of instructions in the script per turn, as long as a variable is changed every N turns. Additionally, it will think the script is in an infinite loop if over 1000 variable changes occur within a single turn.
Another way to implement "subroutines" is to simulate system calls with a control variable. Set the control variable to a certain value to schedule a call, and then wait for the variable to signal the call is done. Another script in the room contains the subroutines. It's got a loop that catches the change in the control variable and executes the subroutines. Arguments and results are passed in variables. Avoids the issue of having to define return points since there isn't any (essentially we're doing an interrupt in stead), and with some extra protection you can even share the subroutines between several scripts this way (exceptionally bottle-necked, but hey). It's heavy-weight though, switching between scripts this way takes a turn, but for some situations that doesn't matter too much (in fact, it might even be required to avoid those false infinite loops I mentioned above).
Hey, that's pretty slick! It's programming in the '50s and '60s all over again!

08-28-2007 at 04:55 AM
Briareos
Rank Points: 3516
mrimer wrote:
Yay for retroprogramming! :)

Then again, writing code in assembler still is far from obsolete... :D

08-28-2007 at 08:07 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
mrimer
Briareos wrote:
mrimer wrote:

We could change the drod commands so you can input them in hex.

08-28-2007 at 06:10 PM
Someone Else
Rank Points: 1306
mrimer wrote:
Briareos wrote:
mrimer wrote:

Can you make us able to input in binary too?
08-28-2007 at 06:57 PM
mrimer
Someone Else wrote:
mrimer wrote:
Briareos wrote:
mrimer wrote:

I'll provide an extension so you can speak zeros and ones to the application.

08-28-2007 at 06:58 PM
Kwakstur
icon Re: Hold Doors (+1)  
mrimer wrote:
Someone Else wrote:
mrimer wrote:
Briareos wrote:
mrimer wrote:

But in soviet Russia, the application speaks zeroes and ones to you.

And in America, we just have a post containing 5 quotes.

[Last edited by Kwakstur at 08-28-2007 07:35 PM]
08-28-2007 at 07:34 PM
golfrman
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 165
Kwakstur wrote:
mrimer wrote:
Someone Else wrote:
mrimer wrote:
Briareos wrote:
mrimer wrote:

pfft 5 quotes is for wussies.

08-29-2007 at 12:04 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Jatopian
Rank Points: 1842
Kwakstur wrote:
Because in the 50s, the Internet was only in America. In some guy's mind.

08-29-2007 at 12:24 AM
Kwakstur
Jatopian wrote:
Kwakstur wrote:
Because in the 50s, the Internet was only in America. In some guy's mind.
No, the computer was in that guy's mind. Actually, not even, since he was too young to think of that either in the 50's.

I have a good guess of what started people thinking he invented the internet. And if I'm right, it would've helped out if Timmy wished the producers of that show were smarter when that guy made an appearance.

Hey, and while everything else (except Timmy) is lying in anonametity anunamitity anonymitity(?), I must say, the poster is keeping everything anonamous anunamous anonymous(?).

Of course, the poster is always wrong. He gets A+s in school by always choosing answers he thinks are wrong. Or does he?

08-29-2007 at 12:51 AM
Tim
Rank Points: 1979
Kwakstur wrote:
Hey, and while everything else (except Timmy) is lying in anonametity anunamitity anonymitity(?), I must say, the poster is keeping everything anonamous anunamous anonymous(?).

Of course, the poster is always wrong. He gets A+s in school by always choosing answers he thinks are wrong. Or does he?
The US school systems tends to reward people a higher grades than they deserve, simply to prevent parents complaining.

I was surprised that criterias for A+ in US was about the same as a B- in Europe.

By the way, I am lying in my bed.

-- Timmy

08-29-2007 at 01:11 AM
silver
Rank Points: 915
Kwakstur wrote:
No, the computer was in that guy's mind. Actually, not even, since he was too young to think of that either in the 50's.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_computers

brief overview:
http://inventors.about.com/library/blcoindex.htm

08-29-2007 at 06:12 AM
Ed Crash
Level: Goblin
Rank Points: 20
golfrman wrote:
Kwakstur wrote:
mrimer wrote:
Someone Else wrote:
mrimer wrote:
Briareos wrote:
mrimer wrote:

Wussies? :huh

[Last edited by Ed Crash at 08-29-2007 05:55 PM]
08-29-2007 at 05:52 PM
Kwakstur
Ed Crash wrote:
golfrman wrote:
Kwakstur wrote:
mrimer wrote:
Someone Else wrote:
mrimer wrote:
Briareos wrote:
mrimer wrote:

Wow, mrimer's post (first one) is really skinny there.

To bad it's skinnier in mine.

[Last edited by Kwakstur at 08-29-2007 06:20 PM]
08-29-2007 at 06:20 PM
mrimer
Kwakstur wrote:
Ed Crash wrote:
golfrman wrote:
Kwakstur wrote:
mrimer wrote:
Someone Else wrote:
mrimer wrote:
Briareos wrote:
mrimer wrote:

Wow, mrimer's post (first one) is really skinny there.

To bad it's skinnier in mine.
qft :D O:-

08-29-2007 at 06:23 PM
Kwakstur
Congrats.

That post can no longer be quoted without adding a horizontal scrollbar.

08-29-2007 at 06:30 PM
Page 1 of 2
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Feature Requests : Hold Doors (Look at this)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com