Announcement: Remember: you are giving away your fantastic ideas for free, and somebody else might even make money from them (or appear to). That's just how the world works! If you're worried about it, maybe you shouldn't post your ideas here.

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Feature Requests : Undo hitting r
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
Syntax
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1218
IP: Logged
icon Undo hitting r (+3)  
This is kind of a followup on the ability to cycle through the savepoints I posted elsewhere. This request would be the ability to undo the an 'r'. So many times have I hit 'r' too many times and then have to go via the restore screen which isn't the fastest process.

At worse times, I *think* I hit that X back there, and hit 'r'. In this case I lose all my progress and have to try and recreate it. I'm sure lots of potential #1s have been lost in this way for many players. I've started using F4 when I'm not certain I hit an X, but undoing a 'r' move would be a good alternative.
08-22-2007 at 07:59 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
goldenferret
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 57
icon Re: Undo hitting r (0)  
Best idea I've seen on this board since... well, since I asked for weather to be applied to all rooms on the level. :P

08-23-2007 at 01:47 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Someone Else
Rank Points: 1300
Maybe it just counts as a move until you make another one, so it can be undone by hitting backspace.
08-23-2007 at 04:05 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Kevin_P86
Rank Points: 535
Someone Else wrote:
Maybe it just counts as a move until you make another one, so it can be undone by hitting backspace.
That is indeed not the case. In fact, this not being the case was what (presumably) motivated Syntax to request just that. ;)

08-23-2007 at 09:09 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Briareos
Rank Points: 3516
Kevin_P86 wrote:
Someone Else wrote:
That is indeed not the case. In fact, this not being the case was what (presumably) motivated Syntax to request just that. ;)
I think that was what he meant, just weirded a bit strangeific. Read "Maybe it just counts" as "Maybe it *could* just count" and it should work... :)

[Last edited by Briareos at 08-23-2007 11:12 AM]
08-23-2007 at 11:11 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Kwakstur
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 385
I would hope that Mike (Rimer, not me) sees this request.

I think Briareos is right. A mixed up sentence structure is not too uncommon. I mean, just look at Final Fantasy VII! Of course, the problem there is bad translation from Japanese to English, but this is still translating; it's from brain language to English.

And I can only hope that Syntax is kidding about making and watching demos just to make sure he hit a checkpoint. There is a certain smiley that is a suitable response, but nobody ever escapes the mod-down, so I'm just going to use neather2's favorite one, instead: :w00t
That smiley just doesn't give the same message. Probably because it smiles. Or lives.

And I'm also going to mention my post, because I already gave my thoughts on all the other posts here. Maybe I should just pick one thought and say it. But then I would be conforming.

08-24-2007 at 02:51 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Someone Else
Briareos wrote:
Kevin_P86 wrote:
Someone Else wrote:
I think that was what he meant, just weirded a bit strangeific. Read "Maybe it just counts" as "Maybe it *could* just count" and it should work... :)

Precisely.
08-24-2007 at 03:50 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Briareos
Rank Points: 3516
Kwakstur wrote:
And I can only hope that Syntax is kidding about making and watching demos just to make sure he hit a checkpoint.
Ummm... it actually makes a lot of sense to record a demo before hitting R in case you aren't sure it'll take you where you want - if you happen to nuke yourself back to the room entrance at least you can consult the demo if need be when you're working your way back to where you were.

08-24-2007 at 08:21 AM
Dolan42
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 195
Perhaps a new option in setup: "Record demo when you restore" would be helpful. I know I would use it.

08-24-2007 at 03:39 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
mrimer
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 5056
Kwakstur wrote:
I would hope that Mike (Rimer, not me) sees this request.
Yes, I read all the posts on DROD-related boards. This is a nice idea, and sounds worth implementing. We're going to finish taking care of the outstanding bugs to get 3.1 released as fast as possible first though.

And I come back to you now at the turn of the tide.
08-24-2007 at 04:54 PM
silver
Rank Points: 915
icon Re: Undo hitting r (+2)  
my suggested implementation:

r to "walk backwards" through room restores back to the beginning of the room (current behavior).

shift-r to "walk forwards" through room restores back to the point at which 'r' was hit (whether it's on a save point or not. no, this doesn't make an unlimited undo).

08-24-2007 at 09:32 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Syntax
Rank Points: 1218
silver wrote:
my suggested implementation:

r to "walk backwards" through room restores back to the beginning of the room (current behavior).

shift-r to "walk forwards" through room restores back to the point at which 'r' was hit (whether it's on a save point or not. no, this doesn't make an unlimited undo).

See this link - my original request :)
08-25-2007 at 12:06 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Insoluble
Rank Points: 1638
Sorry to necro a thread that's almost 10 years old, but this came up again today because the game Stephen's Sausage Roll has precisely this functionality. It would be super swell if we could "undo" hitting the R button to restore for numerous reasons. Hitting R by accident, or hitting it without realizing that you never did touch that checkpoint are two big ones. I know this may not be super easy to implement, but wanted to keep it on the radar.

04-20-2016 at 07:04 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Someone Else
Yeah, or if you hit it because it's too close to W. :P
04-21-2016 at 02:08 PM
disoriented
Rank Points: 2384
Someone Else wrote:
Yeah, or if you hit it because it's too close to W. :P

I remapped the key in the preferences from R to PageUp.

Best to PM me, since I might miss your message on CaravelNet chat.
04-21-2016 at 05:36 PM
Someone Else

File: Page Up is no Good Either.JPG (163.7 KB)
Downloaded 126 times.
License: Public Domain
icon Re: Undo hitting r (+1)  

[Last edited by Someone Else at 04-22-2016 04:44 AM]
04-22-2016 at 04:41 AM
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Feature Requests : Undo hitting r
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com