Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : General : Can't download attachments (strange error with firefox)
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
Remlin
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 181
IP: Logged
icon Can't download attachments (0)  
This only started a few days ago after I upgraded my Firefox. When I click any attachment link on these forums, I get the following error:
XML Parsing Error: syntax error
Location: chrome://mozapps/content/downloads/unknownContentType.xul
Line Number 1, Column 1:
meLiteral, true);
^
Anybody want to take a crack at helping me fix this problem? I have no idea what to try. I'm using Firefox version 2.0.0.6 on Linux.
08-17-2007 at 12:20 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Syntax
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1218
icon Re: Can't download attachments (0)  
Syntax error huh?

Hmmm... Must have been some test code I left behind ;)
08-17-2007 at 01:00 AM
Briareos
Rank Points: 3516
icon Re: Can't download attachments (+1)  
Remlin wrote:
I have no idea what to try. I'm using Firefox version 2.0.0.6 on Linux.
The "unknownContentType.xul" file referenced in the error message is located in the toolkit.jar file that comes with Mozilla (on Windows, it's in the "chrome" subdirectory, dunno exactly where it goes on Linux) - I'd guess your's somehow got corrupted at some point.

I guess removing then reinstalling the browser (which should leave all your user data intact, since that is in your home directory) would fix that...

Are you using one of Mozilla.org's binaries, or a Firefox package supplied by your distro?

np: Gas - Track 4 (Gas)

08-17-2007 at 01:00 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
coppro
Rank Points: 1308

File: unknownContentType.xul (3.4 KB)
Downloaded 43 times.
License: Public Domain
The only copy I have is at /usr/share/firefox/chrome/toolkit/content/mozapps/downloads/unknownContentType.xul. I've attached it; see if that works for you. (if there's nothing there, try 'find /usr/share/firefox -name unknownContentType.xul')
08-17-2007 at 01:18 AM
View Profile Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Remlin
I couldn't find the unknownContentType.xul file. The 'find' command you gave turned up nothing, coppro, and I don't have that directory. (My only subdirectory under chrome is icons.)

Briareos, Firefox 1.5 came preinstalled (and downloaded attachments just fine) for me, but I recently upgraded to 2.0. I don't understand words like 'binaries' and 'distro', so I hope that answered your question.

I guess I'll just live with the problem for now. I'm too much of a Linux newbie to uninstall/reinstall, and I can still use Konquerer to get at the attachments. Thanks for trying to help guys!
08-18-2007 at 01:15 AM
coppro
Rank Points: 1308
hmm... Try broadening the find command to /usr. It is almost certain to be found somewhere in there.

EDIT: Oh, and 'binary' generally means compiled, executable code, as opposed to a script (when used as a noun), and 'distro' means distribution, like Fedora Core, or RHEL, or Ubuntu. (I do know that Ubuntu comes preinstalled with firefox, but not KDE (which contains Konqueror). Kubuntu is exactly the opposite)

[Last edited by coppro at 08-18-2007 01:19 AM]
08-18-2007 at 01:17 AM
View Profile Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Remlin
It wasn't under /usr at all. But things are working now! I found a techie friend who was able to guide me through doing a reinstall of Firefox. It wasn't as painful as I thought it would be, and Briareos was right, I've still got all my add-ons and bookmarks and things. Thanks everyone for the advice!

08-18-2007 at 03:06 AM
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : General : Can't download attachments (strange error with firefox)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com