Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : Contests : Architecture Competition
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
The_Red_Hawk
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 783
IP: Logged
icon Architecture Competition (0)  
- Based on a suggestion by Eytanz: "Longest Room Contest"

Eytanz said he decided to hold a small DROD editor contest. Well, I thought that it's a pretty good idea, and I decided to make one too, but this one will be large ;)

By the way, please don't post about all the negative things about this either. ( ;) again)

Entries should be posted here sometime before the deadline, which will be about 1 month from now ( I will tell you with plenty of time to spare), at which point everyone will vote on the winner for each category, and I will probably give 2 weeks for that.

The categories are listed below:

1. Most Ingenious Room (this covers a lot of ground, so.....)
2. Room Using the Least Spaces (this counts everything that's not walls or pits) - but please, make it a good puzzle - I'll disqualify them if they're for example, one roach and an exit (3 squares)
3. The Hardest Room
4. The Room with the Best Aesthetical Design (but it has to have a puzzle too)
5. The Most Enjoyable Room
6. The Room that is the Best Puzzle Using [monster]. This means there will be several subcategories under this heading - Roaches/Queens, Evil Eyes, Wraithwings, Spiders, Tar, Serpents, and Game Elements (trapdoors, etc.). If necessary, I will add Brains.
7. The Grand Prize (Best Room Overall)

The rules are as follows:

1. IMPORTANT: Every room must be playtested. If necessary, the author must submit a demo.

2. Each submission should be a one-room hold (or several unconnected rooms in the same hold), each with an exit and a green door if wanted.

3. No rooms that are based on someone else's ideas.

4. Unlike what seems to be the case in the "Longest Room Contest," yellow doors (and other doors) are allowed. <<Why not?>>

5. Make sure the holds are set to "Editable to Anyone."

6. Don't make rooms that are very tiring and/or repetitive on purpose.

7. Please do not give a certain category for your entry, and though you can aim for one in particular, I will decide which categories the submission can go in when I create the polls. Each entry can, of course, go into multiple categories. You can submit as many entries as you like, but please don't overdo it.

I might think of some others later, but for now, that's it. And if I made a mistake somewhere, or you think something should be changed, just post here. I don't have much time right now, so forgive me...I guess I've gone on long enough.....

I'll probably make some entries myself, but I need some approval from the forum first. I hope everyone can find a little time to create at least one entry (even if the said people don't like the idea of this competition).

Anyways, who'll do this?

[Edited by The_Red_Hawk on 11-16-2003 at 01:54 PM GMT]

[Edited by The_Red_Hawk on 11-25-2003 at 05:18 PM GMT]

The red hawk's dance of death.

.....the king of the skies.....
11-16-2003 at 03:12 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Mattcrampy
Rank Points: 2388
icon Re: Architecture Competition (0)  
I have some rooms in mind, actually, that I've been trying to fill out with a decent level to go with them. I built a tortured mess of a level then worked the puzzles in, but I'm no good at it.

I could probably make a clever room using about 12 spaces, methinks. Can someone else do better?

I've also got a couple of snake rooms I'm very proud of, and one nice one using force arrows that I guarantee no-one else has tried.

Matt

11-16-2003 at 08:05 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
The_Red_Hawk
So come on, post them here. ;)

Anyways,

HA! Ten squares!

I'm building a hold with rooms that are separated from one another and I'll put that in the contest. I've only completed that room so far, though.....

11-17-2003 at 12:08 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
RoboBob3000
Rank Points: 1978

File: Mimic Crowding.hold (1 KB)
Downloaded 96 times.
License: Other
Here's a tiny room that I whipped up while doodling in math class. I filled every space so that the only place where mimics can be deployed are in the starting square, and Beethro has to deploy and destroy three mimics to exit the room. It wound up not being very difficult, but I think it's an interesting idea that would be fun to fool around with in small rooms. It might be even more effective if the mimic potions were placed on trap doors of force arrows (not sure if that's possible, but I'll give it a go soon).

Anyhow, enjoy!

[Edited by RoboBob3000 on 11-18-2003 at 12:43 AM GMT]

11-18-2003 at 12:37 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Aris Katsaris
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 32
Hardly a too easy room - it ended up giving me enough trouble to make it quite, quite enjoyable.

Kudos, Robobob!
11-18-2003 at 02:12 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
bibelot
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 322
RoboBob3000 wrote:
Beethro has to deploy and destroy three mimics to exit the room.

You can actually do it deploying only two mimics. I guess that lets you add another wall...

[Edited by bibelot on 11-18-2003 at 04:56 AM GMT]
11-18-2003 at 04:54 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
RoboBob3000
Just two, eh? I've gotta try that out now.

11-18-2003 at 05:23 AM
RoboBob3000

File: Mimic Crowdingv2.hold (1.2 KB)
Downloaded 82 times.
Okay, instead of replacing a mimic with a wall, I added another orb to enforce the intended solution. I don't think it's possible anymore to do it with two mimics.

11-18-2003 at 05:33 AM
bibelot
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 322
RoboBob3000 wrote:
I don't think it's possible anymore to do it with two mimics.

You still can.
11-18-2003 at 05:51 AM
RoboBob3000

File: Mimic Crowding v3.hold (1.2 KB)
Downloaded 84 times.
Crap. One more orb, one last try. I swear.

11-18-2003 at 06:17 AM
The_Red_Hawk

File: Competition Entries.hold (10.8 KB)
Downloaded 91 times.
Here's a collection of 9 rooms. 8 are from Deep Hold and the other I made for the occasion. Since Beethro can only start in one room, you place him on the checkpoint (or anywhere along that particular edge).

11-24-2003 at 11:14 PM
agaricus5
Rank Points: 1838
This is what you said as part of the rules:

The_Red_Hawk wrote:
2. Each submission should be a one-room hold, with an exit and a green door if wanted.

6. Don't make rooms that are very tiring and/or repetitive on purpose.

I've had a look at the hold and it's a collection of rooms in a one-level hold. This is inconsistent with rule two in the quote above. May we then make several entries and put them into one hold or do we have to post separate holds for each? (Which is unlikely, and potentially rather silly, but it's just for clarification)

In addition, I think 1N breaks rule 6, also above. Searching for doors under tar with the correct combination to open all of them, especially as you've covered the doors and stated you need to hit 25 orbs is going a little too far with the tiring/repetitive/guesswork thing.

11-24-2003 at 11:35 PM
The_Red_Hawk
Yes, we can put them together, so long as each has an exit and is not connected.

And, in case you didn't notice, 1N is a logic puzzle...it's supposed to be difficult, but not repetitive.

11-25-2003 at 02:10 AM
The_Red_Hawk

Yes, we can put them together, so long as each has an exit and is not connected. Sorry, I'll specify that in the rules.

And, in case you didn't notice, 1N is a logic puzzle...it's supposed to be difficult, but not repetitive.

[Edited by The_Red_Hawk on 11-25-2003 at 05:17 PM GMT]

11-25-2003 at 05:17 PM
agaricus5
The_Red_Hawk wrote:

[Edited by The_Red_Hawk on 11-25-2003 at 05:17 PM GMT]
I did.

What I meant was that figuring out from where to start requires quite a bit of repetition. At least telling us which orb is first and which scroll is first will stop me having to guess. At the moment (I haven't had too much time to play with the room yet) the only way I can see if I'm going through the orbs in the right order is by looking at the effects under the tar in the editor. It's an interesting room, but not one I'd like to guess at without looking at the doors under the tar.

11-26-2003 at 06:03 PM
The_Red_Hawk
You don't need to figure out from where to start. Each correct opens one door, as you will see if you look in the editor. Therefore, the order doesn't matter at all.

11-26-2003 at 06:50 PM
agaricus5
The_Red_Hawk wrote:
You don't need to figure out from where to start. Each correct opens one door, as you will see if you look in the editor. Therefore, the order doesn't matter at all.
I don't mean that.

For example....

One scroll says:

"Four-three from the end,
two nine from its left."

When you say "the end", I assume you mean the last orb, and if so, which is "the last orb", and in which direction do you count? Along the entire rows or columns of rows?

11-26-2003 at 06:57 PM
The_Red_Hawk
That's part of the puzzle...

You've got to figure it out yourself!

11-26-2003 at 07:06 PM
agaricus5
The_Red_Hawk wrote:
That's part of the puzzle...

You've got to figure it out yourself!
Exactly.

I cannot figure out which goes first without a lot of trial and error unless I look in the editor, which rather defeats the object of the competition because if the room was one in a real hold, with editing priviledges not set to the player, it would be too tedious to work out whether or not the player is counting the orbs in the correct order. I know that the incorrect orbs all...
Click here to view the secret text
which does make it easy to work out which to hit, but the player does not know whether or not the door is initially up or down. In addition, if you wanted to really enforce the logic puzzle, by making incorrect orbs close other doors and therefore making thm indistinguishable from other ones, then the player will have to work out by trial and error in which order to count orbs.

Sorry for being pedantic, but I think that this time, the room needs to be made less unpredictable, otherwise the logic of the scrolls, which is interesting, fails.

11-26-2003 at 07:22 PM
eytanz
Rank Points: 2708
I agree with Wesley. The hidden part of the puzzle is at tension with the logic part of the puzzle - whether that's good or bad in general is a matter of taste, but it definitely against the guidelines you yourself posted here.

True logic puzzles give the player all the information he needs, and then leave it up to him or her how to use it.

11-26-2003 at 07:50 PM
Scott
Rank Points: 578
That room is actually part of one of his levels in the deep and for reasons posted above I haven't completed it.
11-26-2003 at 11:19 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
eytanz
Rank Points: 2708
I know; but while I don't always like his decisions for the deep hold, I think they're valid decisions. Here, I think he's going against a guideline he himself published.

11-26-2003 at 11:29 PM
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : Contests : Architecture Competition
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com