Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : Press Clippings : Top 100 Independent Games by Game Tunnel
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
jdyer
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 329
IP: Logged
icon Top 100 Independent Games by Game Tunnel (+1)  
http://www.gametunnel.com/articles.php?id=620

They took everything they reviewed over the last 3 years and made a list out of it.

Journey to Rooted Hold makes #22.

(They haven't reviewed The City Beneath yet.)
07-13-2007 at 06:40 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Nillo
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 548
icon Re: Top 100 Independent Games by Game Tunnel (0)  
That's pretty cool. Although I think it deserved a slightly higher score, and having read Derek Yu's opinion diminishes the enjoyment somewhat.

“Folks say that if you listen real close at the height of the full moon, when the wind is blowin' off Nantucket Sound from the nor' east and the dogs are howlin' for no earthly reason, you can hear the awful screams of the crew of the 'Ellie May,' a sturdy whaler Captained by John McTavish; for it was on just such a night when the rum was flowin' and, Davey Jones be damned, big John brought his men on deck for the first of several screaming contests.”
07-13-2007 at 08:34 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Oneiromancer
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2936
icon Re: Top 100 Independent Games by Game Tunnel (+1)  
I don't really know that these are listed in order. Clearly some are given more prominence than others, and the top 10 is probably pretty close to what they think, but...Gumboy Crazy Adventures was the 2006 Game of the Year and it's only #41 in that list. Oasis was the Game of the Year in 2005 and it's at #21 just above DROD. I think that most of the games are not in any particular order. Which probably means that DROD would be farther down the list, so I'm actually happy with where it is.

"He who is certain he knows the ending of things when he is only beginning them is either extremely wise or extremely foolish; no matter which is true, he is certainly an unhappy man, for he has put a knife in the heart of wonder." -- Tad Williams

[Last edited by Oneiromancer at 07-13-2007 10:23 PM]
07-13-2007 at 10:23 PM
UrAvgAzn
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 468
Hmm that's a cool list. I could spend some of my time trying out some of these.

Keep posting,

EDIT: Okay, so is it just me? Or does our 'Website' link lead to Virtual Villagers? Or I could've just missed 3 times.

[Last edited by UrAvgAzn at 07-14-2007 02:21 AM]
07-14-2007 at 02:15 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Krishh
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 282
The DROD links do indeed lead to virtual villagers. Someone should probably email them about that.

And I have to add that, for having the number 1 game on that list, moonpod has done something amazingly stupid. I can't access their website, since Latvians apparently speak only Russian. I get automatically redirected to the website for the russian localised version (which, as far as I can gather with my rudimentary knowledge of Russian, is not even out yet.) with no way to access moonpod.com without using a proxy. (Also, since the redirected page only has information about Mr. Robot, Latvians apparently don't deserve Starscape at all.) So the only way for me to purchase the downloadable version of Mr. Robot would be to access their website through a web proxy in another country, which is obviously a very safe way to do online credit card transanctions. (Or is it even possible? The one proxy I tried hangs up on the secure order pages.) Sorry for the rant, but this really pisses me off.
07-14-2007 at 01:24 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Maurog
Rank Points: 1501
When you try to access http://www.moonpod.com/English/purchase.php?g=3 what happens?

07-14-2007 at 10:41 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
eytanz
Rank Points: 2708
I get to an order form for Mr. Robot.

07-14-2007 at 11:01 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Krishh
I get redirected to http://www.snowball.ru/robot/?g=3, which is basically the same link I always get, except redirecting apparently keeps variables, so it adds the ?g=3. I'm not even sure I want to buy the game, I just wanted to check their website to see what it was about, only to get redirected. I then tried to reach the order page to see if I even could. Though I find their directory naming funny, since www.moonpod.com/english, which seems to be their main directory, still redirects me to that site.
07-14-2007 at 11:06 PM
BDR
Rank Points: 106
icon Re: Top 100 Independent Games by Game Tunnel (+1)  
Try http://www.moonpod.com/English/about_mr.robot.php instead for the Mr. Robot page, and http://www.moonpod.com for the main page. My guess is the page naming changed but the links on Game Tunnel did not.
07-15-2007 at 09:13 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Krishh
Both of those links still redirect me. I think I've derailed the thread enough, there are still 99 other games on that list.
07-15-2007 at 12:23 PM
mrimer
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 5056
Krishh wrote:
The DROD links do indeed lead to virtual villagers. Someone should probably email them about that.
Thanks for mentioning this, guys. I've emailed the webmaster about it.

And I come back to you now at the turn of the tide.
07-16-2007 at 09:35 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Mattcrampy
Rank Points: 2388
There's a few people upset at exactly how they arrived at this list - notice Cave Story isn't on there. There's also a couple of somewhat insipid match-3 games that seem to have been included more for kickbacks than for being quality.

07-18-2007 at 02:20 AM
Nillo
Rank Points: 548
I remember they gave Cave Story a minus for graphics and said they "couldn't make out what the main character was" or something like that. Also, the reason it isn't on this list is because they only included games that were reviewed by a panel.

“Folks say that if you listen real close at the height of the full moon, when the wind is blowin' off Nantucket Sound from the nor' east and the dogs are howlin' for no earthly reason, you can hear the awful screams of the crew of the 'Ellie May,' a sturdy whaler Captained by John McTavish; for it was on just such a night when the rum was flowin' and, Davey Jones be damned, big John brought his men on deck for the first of several screaming contests.”
07-18-2007 at 03:09 AM
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : Press Clippings : Top 100 Independent Games by Game Tunnel
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com