Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Other Boards : Forum Games : Guess the Book (the literary version...)
Page 3 of 5
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
jbluestein
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1670
IP: Logged
icon Re: Guess the Book (0)  
Jason wrote:
Isa jokesum. Yousum don't understazum? Nevermindz.

I figured it was a joke...I just didn't follow it. Sorry.

Josh

10-04-2007 at 07:48 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Snacko
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 448
icon Re: Guess the Book (-1)  
"A teenage boy decides to tour New York rather than returning home to face his parent's anger after getting expelled from school. He comes to terms with his own immaturity and his annoyed view of the world around him".

10-04-2007 at 09:11 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
jbluestein
'And now,' said the stranger, 'farewell, goodness, humanity, gratitude...Farewell all those feelings that nourish and illuminate the heart! I have taken the place of Providence to reward the good; now let the avenging God make way for me to punish the wrongdoer!'

10-05-2007 at 12:12 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
jbluestein
Is this too obscure? I figured the quote would be sufficient, but maybe it doesn't work as well taken out of context? Problem is that I don't have the original text -- this is just a translation.

Josh

10-08-2007 at 11:33 AM
calamarain
Rank Points: 933
It's not the Bible is it? :)

10-08-2007 at 03:00 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Snacko
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 448
I believe is from The Dawn-Breakers.

10-08-2007 at 05:47 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
jbluestein
No, and no. I'll offer two more clues:

1) The original language is French.

2) A second quote:

Then, turning back to the prisoner, he said: 'Tell me briefly, what do you want?'
'I want to know what crime I have committed, I am asking for judges to be appointed to my case and for a trial to be held; finally, I am asking to be shot, if I am guilty; but equally to be set free if I am innocent.'

10-09-2007 at 03:10 PM
NiroZ
Rank Points: 1302
icon Re: Guess the Book (+3)  
That wouldn't be "The Count Of Monte Cristo" would it?
10-09-2007 at 03:50 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
jbluestein
NiroZ wrote:
That wouldn't be "The Count Of Monte Cristo" would it?

It would be. Welcome to 800!

Josh

10-09-2007 at 04:03 PM
NiroZ
icon Re: Guess the Book (+1)  
How quickly it had all been done! He felt strangely calm, and, walking over to the window, opened it, and stepped out on the balcony. The wind had blown the fog away, and the sky was like a monstrous peacock's tail, starred with myriads of golden eyes. He looked down, and saw the policemen going his rounds and flashing the long beam of his lantern on the doors of the silent houses. The crimson spot of a prowling hansom gleamed at the corner, and then vanished. A woman in a fluttering shawl was creeping slowly by the railings, staggering as she went. Now and then she stopped, and peered back. Once, she began to sign in a hoarse voice. The policeman strolled over and said something to her. She stumbled away, laughing. A bitter blast swept across the Square. The gas-lamps flickered, and became blue, and the leafless teees shook their black iron branches to and fro. He shivered, and went back, closing the window behind him.
10-09-2007 at 04:23 PM
NiroZ
Hmmm, maybe I'll pick something a little more obvious
When they entered, they found hanging upon the wall a splendid portrait of their master as they had last seen him, in all the wonder of his exquisite youth and beauty. Lying on the floor was a dead man, in evening dress, with a knife in his heart. He was withered, wrinkled, and loathsome of visage. It was not till they had examined the rings that they recognized who it was.
10-13-2007 at 04:19 AM
calamarain
icon Re: Guess the Book (+3)  
NiroZ wrote:
Hmmm, maybe I'll pick something a little more obvious
When they entered, they found hanging upon the wall a splendid portrait of their master as they had last seen him, in all the wonder of his exquisite youth and beauty. Lying on the floor was a dead man, in evening dress, with a knife in his heart. He was withered, wrinkled, and loathsome of visage. It was not till they had examined the rings that they recognized who it was.
The Picture of Dorian Gray

I love that book :)

My quote... (nice easy one)

Then take the universe and grind it down to the finest powder and sieve it through the finest sieve and then show me one atom of justice, one molecule of mercy

[Last edited by calamarain at 10-13-2007 04:36 AM]
10-13-2007 at 04:28 AM
NiroZ
I knew it was a dead giveaway. I also had a sneaking suspicion you would get it.

[Last edited by NiroZ at 10-13-2007 03:55 PM]
10-13-2007 at 05:46 AM
Alneyan
Rank Points: 622
calamarain wrote:
Then take the universe and grind it down to the finest powder and sieve it through the finest sieve and then show me one atom of justice, one molecule of mercy

I'd be willing to bet good money that it's from Discworld, but I have no idea which particular book... Reaper Man maybe?
10-13-2007 at 10:16 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
calamarain
A second one from the same book...

When you were grown up you only feared, well, logical things. Poverty. Illness. Being found out. At least you weren't mad with terror because of something under the stairs. The world wasn't full of arbitrary light and shade. The wonderful world of childhood? Well, it wasn't a cut-down version of the adult one, that was certain. It was more like the adult one written in big heavy letters. Everything was... more. More everything.

10-13-2007 at 07:22 PM
BeefontheBone
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 184
icon Re: Guess the Book (+2)  
The first quote was Death, methinks. Fairly sure that's The Hogfather - that has lots of Susan, bogeymen and childhood.

[Last edited by BeefontheBone at 10-13-2007 08:02 PM]
10-13-2007 at 08:01 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
calamarain
BeefontheBone wrote:
The first quote was Death, methinks. Fairly sure that's The Hogfather - that has lots of Susan, bogeymen and childhood.
Correct. Your turn :)

10-13-2007 at 10:29 PM
BeefontheBone
This will be really easy if you've read it, and baffling otherwise - hopefully somebody has :)

"Rita fell down the stairs at twenty-two minutes past midnight on New Year's Day.

I had hoped for a better start to my diary - perhaps a poem glorifying the act of diarying, or a quote from a famous diarist, such as Shakespeare ('Wroteth another play today...'), but writing a diary is all about recording what actually happens. And sadly at 12.22, what actually happened was Rita falling down the stairs.

Rita and her ankle have never got on. Last year we made a succession of ankle-related visits to the hospital."

[Last edited by BeefontheBone at 10-14-2007 01:00 AM]
10-14-2007 at 01:00 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
noma
Rank Points: 1594
That would be from "The Timewaster Diaries" by Robin Cooper.
10-16-2007 at 04:16 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
BeefontheBone
Yay! Not quite as genius as the letters (and Confessions of a Chatroom Freak gets old pretty quick, unfortunately) but hilarious nonetheless. Anyone who has the faintest idea who Robert Popper is should definitely check out the Timewaster Diaries.

10-16-2007 at 06:07 PM
noma
"When my tale began, it appeared that the earthling part of the clockwork of the universe was in terrible danger, since many of its parts, which is to say people, no longer fit in anywhere, and were damaging all the parts around them as well as themselves. I would have said back then that the damage was beyond repair.
Not so!
Thanks to certain modifications in the design of human beings, I see no reason why the earthing part of the clockwork can't go on ticking forever the way it is ticking now."
10-17-2007 at 04:25 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
kzc
Rank Points: 212
I haven't read it, but it sounds like this could be Mainspring.

[Last edited by kzc at 10-17-2007 07:35 PM]
10-17-2007 at 07:35 PM
noma
No, not Mainspring.

"What Mandarax didn't tell her, and what her big brain certainly wasn't going to tell her, was that, if she came up with an idea for a novel experiment which had a chance of working, her big brain would make her life a hell until she had actually performed that experiment.

That, in my opinion, was the most diabolical aspects of those old-time big brains: They would tell their owners, in effect, "Here is a crazy thing we could actually do, probably, but we would never do it, of course. It's just fun to think about."

And then, as though in trances, the people would really do it--"
10-18-2007 at 01:09 AM
noma
Hmm. A little googling would get this for you. If Erik only read this forum, I think he'd get it. One more, a little more obvious.

"There had been concern about the genes the mother, Hisako, might have passed on to her fetus, since herr own mother had been exposed to radiation when the United States of America dropped an atomic bomb on Hiroshima, Japan. So a sample of Hisako's amniotic fluid was tested back in Tokyo for clues that the child might be abnormal. ...

The tests declared the fetus normal.
They also gave away the secret of its sex. It would come into the world as a little girl, yet another female in this tale.

The tests were incapable of detecting minor defects in the fetus, such as that it might be as tone deaf as Mary Hepburn, which it wasn't -- or that it might be covered with a fine, silky pelt like a fur seal's, which would actually turn out to be the case."

10-20-2007 at 02:35 AM
Tahnan
Rank Points: 2459
I did get it from Googling, but didn't feel good about posting after that, especially since I really ought to have recognized the author from his writing style.
10-20-2007 at 06:13 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Znirk
Rank Points: 613
noma wrote:
Hmm. A little googling would get this for you. If Erik only read this forum, I think he'd get it. One more, a little more obvious.

"There had been concern about the genes the mother, Hisako, might have passed on to her fetus, since herr own mother had been exposed to radiation when the United States of America dropped an atomic bomb on Hiroshima, Japan. So a sample of Hisako's amniotic fluid was tested back in Tokyo for clues that the child might be abnormal. ...

The tests declared the fetus normal.
They also gave away the secret of its sex. It would come into the world as a little girl, yet another female in this tale.

The tests were incapable of detecting minor defects in the fetus, such as that it might be as tone deaf as Mary Hepburn, which it wasn't -- or that it might be covered with a fine, silky pelt like a fur seal's, which would actually turn out to be the case."

Ooooh. Galápagos, by Kurt Vonnegut.
10-20-2007 at 10:15 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
noma
You are correct. Love this book. Love Vonnegut.

Your turn.
10-20-2007 at 02:33 PM
Znirk
OK. Semi-randomly reaching into the English-language section of the shelf behind me ...

Heh. OK, let's try this.

28-JUL-1992 08:23 FROM: Onslow Interiors Ltd. TO: 0653 378552 P. 01 of 01

Onslow Interiors
12a Onslow Terrace - South Kensington - London SW7

URGENT FACSIMILE TRANSMISSION

To: Patricia Hardy, c/o Logan, Swafford Hall, Norfolk
My fax: 071-555 4929
Your fax: 0653-378552

For the private and personal attention of Miss Hardy

Dear Miss Hardy,

You suggest in your letter that you might consider making an approach to E.L.W. to raise the question of his recent remarks on the subject we discussed.

We would recommend with extreme force that you do not make such a move. T. is not an expert in this field and has no knowledge of the details.

I trust this warning has come in time to save you from making an unfortunate mistake.

Unable for the moment to join you or meeting as suggested.

Letter follows

Yours

J.S.

[Last edited by Znirk at 10-22-2007 10:14 PM : minor typoage corrected]
10-20-2007 at 06:58 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Znirk
Anyone? Here's the next page, which should make things a bit clearer if you know the book.

28-09-1992 09:57 LOGANGROUP plc TO: 071 555 4929 Page 001
LOGANGROUP plc

To.............................Jane Swann
Company..................Onslow Interiors
Fax No. .....................071 555 4929
From.............................Patricia
Fax No. ......................0653 378552
Page...............................1 of 1

Jane,

Bother! If your fax means what I think it means, then I've screwed up.  Gave
Ted an earful yesterday.  Called him a foul and ugly old wart-hog.  Hard to
take those kind of words back but I had a go just now in the breakfast room.

I told him that I've been behaving irrationally on account of Martin leaving
me and that I had had a go at him because I thought he had been having a go
at me.  Think he swallowed it.  He leered what he imagines is a debonair
smile and started dripping egg-yolk down his shirt, which I think is a sign
of forgiveness.

You really should have warned me though. Does he really not know what's going
on?  And why are you concerned with what he thinks or believes anyway?  He's
not here on a commission from a newspaper is he?  The mind boggles.  Come
to think of it, Michael announced last night that Ted is writing his biography.
They've been closeted together for hours and hours.  What's that all about?

Wildest apologies, do come down soonest

Pat

If you encounter any difficulties with this transmission, please call Valerie Myers on 0653 378551
10-22-2007 at 10:19 PM
calamarain
Ahah!

I know that one. Stephen Fry's "The Hippopotamus".

I'm currently at work, so I'll post a new entry to this thread when I get home and have access to my books.

[Last edited by calamarain at 10-23-2007 12:12 PM]
10-23-2007 at 12:11 PM
Page 3 of 5
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Other Boards : Forum Games : Guess the Book (the literary version...)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com