Announcement: Why not try our official idea generator for inspiration when making puzzles?

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Architecture : Newlines in Text Variables
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
TFMurphy
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 3118
IP: Logged
icon Newlines in Text Variables (0)  
I'm attempting to have different level entrances attached to particular stairs, which change depending on how much progression has been done. In order to do this, I've figured that the only logical way is to use text variables, and change those variables as necessary.

The obstacle to this is that I haven't been able to find a way to add newlines to a text variable. This means I can't seperate out paragraphs unless I insert the newlines into the level entrance itself... which would restrict me to a specific number of paragraphs (otherwise I get empty space before the closing horizontal line, and that looks untidy).

In case it just doesn't seem to be documented but can still be done, I'm asking here instead of going straight to a Feature Request. The usual escape codes I associate with newlines haven't worked, so that's tired out my experimentation on that subject.

===

As an aside, if anyone knows how many characters a text variable can hold, I'd be interested to hear. I know Level Entrances are supposed to handle 1300. But with Assign Text (100 charcater limit) followed by many Add Texts, I seem to have been able to easily break that.

[Last edited by TFMurphy at 07-06-2007 05:03 PM]
07-06-2007 at 05:02 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Architecture : Newlines in Text Variables
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com