Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : The Illumination : Bulk-Mailing is Good. (Our News for June.)
Page 2 of 2
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
NiroZ
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1302
IP: Logged
icon Re: Bulk-Mailing is Good. (0)  
I only received one measly email in my gmail account. It's a pity, I wanted to be part of this grand irony.
07-01-2007 at 12:51 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Monkey
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 190
I got 1 in my Gmail account, and 2 in my Thunderbird inbox. Altogether, that makes 3. How did that happen??

[Last edited by Monkey at 07-01-2007 03:39 PM]
07-01-2007 at 03:39 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
gamer_extreme_101
Rank Points: 1939
I'm apparently not special enough, as I am lacking the Light in my Gmail inbox.

07-01-2007 at 05:20 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Elfstone
Rank Points: 1285
I came into the site tonight to make a gently enquiry as to why I had been sent 5 versions of the Illumination, but I see that I'm not alone. If it is of any interest/relevant the times on them are as follows:

the first two both have 00.20.22
the third is 00.20 23
the fourth is 00.20.27
the fifth is 00.20.34

I have no idea how to find out all the other bits of information that others here have given.

07-01-2007 at 08:25 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
BDR
Rank Points: 106
Received 10 total emails here. Didn't bother to keep track of any identifying info, though. :/
07-01-2007 at 09:58 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Unity
Level: Roachling
Rank Points: 14
icon Re: Bulk-Mailing is Good. (+2)  
I got 6. I thought it was on purpose because of the title, and I chuckled appreciatively. Now I see it was an accident, and I'm upset and annoyed.
07-01-2007 at 11:12 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
ErikH2000
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2794
Unity wrote:
I got 6. I thought it was on purpose because of the title, and I chuckled appreciatively. Now I see it was an accident, and I'm upset and annoyed.
Funny, I would have guessed it would be the other way around.

I'm wondering if anyone is getting extra messages from the other kinds of e-mail, like PM and forum post notifications.

-Erik

07-01-2007 at 11:55 PM
View Profile Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
NekoIncardine
Rank Points: 127
ErikH2000 wrote:
Unity wrote:
Funny, I would have guessed it would be the other way around.

I'm wondering if anyone is getting extra messages from the other kinds of e-mail, like PM and forum post notifications.

-Erik

Depending on how the bulkmail system is set up, not too likely - I'm guessing it'd depend on how many times the person's address was added to the list, and that the system didn't take the time to check that an address isn't already there. Depending on how the list is generated, simple enough to fix really, but that would have required realizing it would happen in advance :)

The other e-mails though, are specifically sent once I'm guessing - getting them multiple times would involve requesting them multiple times most likely.

07-02-2007 at 10:31 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
jamie
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 365
I got 4 :(

I'll check the logs now, but I'm sure we'll find that everything is flawlessly consistent.

07-03-2007 at 12:07 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
jamie
For those concerned that they didn't get any copy, there are a number of recipients whos copy is 'stuck in the mail' - this was due to a temporary dns problem which is now fixed, but the timeout on the dns cached entry means these messages may be delayed for up to a further 14 hours.

So, if you normally get it, and you didn't, you should within 14 hours.

07-03-2007 at 05:25 PM
ErikH2000
Jamie and I are working on fixing the redundant delivery problem. Getting the information about how many e-mails people received helped me see the pattern for who was receiving 1 e-mail and who was receiving eleventy e-mails. Basically, if your CaravelNet account uses one of the super-popular hosts like yahoo, gmail, or hotmail--you probably got just one message. Otherwise, you got way more than needed. Delivery to the super-popular hosts ends up differing from the other hosts.

So we are on the trail.

-Erik

07-03-2007 at 07:50 PM
View Profile Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Sergenth
Rank Points: 296
I have recieved 1 email to my earthlink account and 1 email to my gmail account.
07-03-2007 at 09:31 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
ErikH2000
Alright, I would appreciate very much a number of volunteers to participate in one or more bulk-mailing tests. In fact, I need a whole bunch of people--maybe 30 or so. We need to try our bulk-mailing system out again and it is far too risky to run against the entire Illumination list again. I'm sure we caused a bunch of unsubscribes already.

So if you don't mind the possibility of getting tens of redundant messages delivered to your inbox over the next few weeks, please send an e-mail to erikh@caravelgames.com and put "I love bulk e-mail" in the subject line. That's all you have to do. I'm not even going to ask you later what mail you received (we can see who is receiving too many messages on our end). You'll just be put on a temporary testing list that we'll use in July. All of the messages will have subjects prefixed with "BULK E-MAIL TEST", so you can even add a filter to delete them automatically if you want.

So send erikh@caravelgames.com an e-mail with "I love bulk e-mail" in the subject line.

-Erik

07-04-2007 at 01:24 AM
eytanz
Rank Points: 2708
How do people get illuminations to more than one account? I thought it goes to the email used by the forum.

07-04-2007 at 01:49 AM
coppro
Rank Points: 1308
icon Re: Bulk-Mailing is Good. (+1)  
The link on the [url www.caravelgames.com]home page?
07-04-2007 at 02:48 AM
View Profile Show all user's posts Quote Reply
ErikH2000
eytanz wrote:
How do people get illuminations to more than one account? I thought it goes to the email used by the forum.
Coppro's answer is correct. In addition to your CaravelNet (forum) account, you can also be signed up from the front page.

-Erik

07-04-2007 at 06:57 AM
Krissan
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 89
I just realized that the whole "I got 10 copies of the Illumination" kind of overshadowed the more important news - the new game. When can you tell us more? When do we get pictures? Is it DROD related? Genre? Release date? And most importantly - where is the bar?

07-04-2007 at 11:02 AM
Mattcrampy
Rank Points: 2388
Krissan wrote:
When can you tell us more?

I expect when the financiers give Caravel the green light.

I would also expect the genre is a contemplative puzzle game. (This is Caravel's specialty.)

07-04-2007 at 12:08 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
jamie
An update: Those messages that were stuck have now been delivered.

Unfortunately, a number of mailing systems rejected the message straight out, due to the DNS problem, and so these people won't get the message.

However, don't worry - the DNS problem has been fixed, and so you should get further mails with no problems.

If anyone is really concerned, I do have logs of the failed addresses, so mail me jamiej@caravelgames.com and I'll search the logs for your email address, and reply with details.

Cheers,
Jamie

and if this post doesn't get me rank points, I don't know what will :lol joke! :P

07-04-2007 at 03:37 PM
jamie
I'll stop spamming this thread with email problems, so we can focus on the newsletter itself here!

Posts related to the mail problems will now go here! http://forum.caravelgames.com/viewtopic.php?TopicID=16616

cheers,
J.

07-04-2007 at 03:59 PM
roach strangler
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 57
Wow 200 boxes already!? :w00t
I will buy it no doubt!

[Last edited by roach strangler at 07-19-2007 11:30 PM]
07-13-2007 at 05:02 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Page 2 of 2
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : The Illumination : Bulk-Mailing is Good. (Our News for June.)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com