Announcement: Why not try our official idea generator for inspiration when making puzzles?

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Architecture : An Architects Audition (My first Hold)
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
Jutt
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 863
IP: Logged

File: An Architects Audition v04.hold (13 KB)
Downloaded 70 times.
License: Public Domain
icon An Architects Audition (+2)  
Hello, I'm new here and I join this forum to share my first Hold.

It's not very large, but this is the first serious Hold I've made. It's created in Architects Edition, so it's just the basic monsters and no funny tricks with scripting etc. Of course, to compensate that I tried to include all cunning tricks and puzzles I could think of…
Nah, don't know if it's actually that hard.

So, I'd like some people to test it and provide some input on the puzzles.
There are two levels with a total of 16 puzzle rooms to complete. Both levels were made such that the rooms should be solvable in any order. Also, the Hold is 'Anyone Edit' for your convenience.

Important note: I realized the Hold is only completable in Architects Edition, because at least one room uses behavior of brained monsters that changed in later versons of DROD.
Fixed!

What more is there to say?
Well, have fun!

[Last edited by Jutt at 07-12-2007 12:04 PM : version 04: fixed unintended solution]
06-29-2007 at 10:42 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Dex Stewart
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 355
icon Re: An Architects Audition (0)  
I can't play this right now, as it's past 12 o'clock here.

But at first glance, this is quite impressive! Repair that room, make sure there's no other bugs or unintended soutions and then hurry up to the holds board.
06-29-2007 at 11:11 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Pilchard VIII
Rank Points: 392
Wow, this is tricky. But also very good.

06-30-2007 at 01:50 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Jutt
Thank you both for the reply.

I attached a new version of the hold with the brained monster movement fixed in two rooms (yup, found that problem in another room).

I wasn't planning any other changes, but suggestions or bug reports are always welcome :) .

06-30-2007 at 04:43 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Dex Stewart
One question: Did you know that the demos of JtRH and TCB are free and that there are}no} restrictions at all in using them(the only restriction is that you can't get very far in the official hold). This way you|ll always be up to date on monster behaviour and such :) .
06-30-2007 at 05:07 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Jutt
Yup, I'm perfectly aware of that. Actually I've played through both demos more than once.

One reason I chose to build this Hold in AE is that I wanted this to be compatible with all versions of DROD (didn't realize stuff had changed). Actually I deliberately limited my options to get used to the monsters from AE first, before moving on to JtRH and TCB.

But do you think I'd beter create it in JtRH or TCB and – if I wish to – stick to the AE elements?

06-30-2007 at 06:17 PM
golfrman
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 165
Jutt wrote:
Yup, I'm perfectly aware of that. Actually I've played through both demos more than once.

One reason I chose to build this Hold in AE is that I wanted this to be compatible with all versions of DROD (didn't realize stuff had changed). Actually I deliberately limited my options to get used to the monsters from AE first, before moving on to JtRH and TCB.

But do you think I'd beter create it in JtRH or TCB and – if I wish to – stick to the AE elements?
but if you do that, it still won't work in AE because holds aren't backwards compatible.

06-30-2007 at 07:16 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Dex Stewart
Jutt wrote:

While that will ruin backwards compatibility, there is absolutely no reason that *anyone* who downloads this hold(and therefore knows that this site exists, and therefore knows, well... probably knows that JtRH and TCB exist) will not be able to play it.
06-30-2007 at 09:26 PM
Jutt
Since the Hold is now compatible with all versions I think I'll keep it as it is. For future holds I'll probably switch to JtRH/TCB anyway.

I'm quite confident there are no more bugs in the Hold. I'll wait till tomorrow for anyone to find out unwanted features. If there are no objections then, this Hold will move on to being promoted I guess…

…or am I trying to rush things now?

07-01-2007 at 10:38 PM
Dex Stewart
As long as you managed to solve all rooms yourself, no.
07-01-2007 at 11:05 PM
Tim
Rank Points: 1979
I think I'm only going to say that in general, the hold is quite okay (and I'm making an understatement here, it's a very good hold, well done).

A hold of this quality will take some more time to test anyway. But I think you can do that even after you submit it for promotion. Or if you are willing to want a bit longer, I might want to try a bit more (sorry, been really busy nowadays).

One thing I do want to suggest is to add some Ending Text. If you want to.

There's nothing wrong with making a hold in AE, especially when it's a good hold.

PS. Although it must be said that, nowadays, some people don't like architects hiding things under tar anymore. And no, you can't solve that problem in AE.

07-01-2007 at 11:55 PM
Doom
Rank Points: 3226
Tim wrote:
PS. Although it must be said that, nowadays, some people don't like architects hiding things under tar anymore. And no, you can't solve that problem in AE.
Actually... yes, you can.
07-02-2007 at 12:01 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Jutt
Tim wrote:
One thing I do want to suggest is to add some Ending Text. If you want to.
Good idea, I've been neglecting 'Ending' button in the editor far too long. Added an ending text and also…

Tim wrote:
The only room that really hides things is Level 2 - 1S, so I added a scroll there for the tarmaze haters with a hint.

Having done this I'll go and submit this hold.

07-02-2007 at 08:22 PM
Tim
Just a short note to say you might want to check the spelling of "Exellent" in your ending text.

Difficulty: about 8 brains.
07-02-2007 at 09:21 PM
Jutt
Heck, guess what?
When I tried to add that missing c, I couldn't because apparently I had reached the character limit :? .

*sigh*

It's fixed anyway.

07-02-2007 at 09:50 PM
Tim
I'm just playing around, but I was wondering if L2 1S1W was supposed to be solved by
Click here to view the secret text

07-10-2007 at 02:17 AM
Jutt
So, you're suggesting to:

that's somewhat easier than what I had in mind:

This can be fixed by adding an extra trapdoor on one of the arrows.
If the HA's are ok with that of course...

07-10-2007 at 10:47 AM
Tim
I've tried it again, and I think I can even:

That probably cannot be fixed by just adding an extra trapdoor on one of the arrows.
If the HA's are ok with that of course...
Just let them know in the "Admin thingy" that you want to update it.

But perhaps you want more rooms to be checked first. In that case you might want to postpone submitting the hold.

Edit: I do want to say that I'm not promising anything (in regards to testing) at the moment. And I like the hold a lot; it would be a shame if it's my fault that you're not submitting it :?

[Last edited by Tim at 07-10-2007 09:13 PM]
07-10-2007 at 09:10 PM
jbluestein
Rank Points: 1670
Tim wrote:
Edit: I do want to say that I'm not promising anything (in regards to testing) at the moment. And I like the hold a lot; it would be a shame if it's my fault that you're not submitting it :?

Actually, it's already been submitted. 'In process' at the moment.

Josh

07-10-2007 at 11:06 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Tim
jbluestein wrote:
I know that. Haven't you seen my messages on that particular board? ;)

I'm talking about a possible update here.

07-10-2007 at 11:21 PM
Jutt
Tim wrote:
I don't see any way to do that without

In my opinion this is still one of the lesser rooms, which wouldn't be such a great loss if it had an easier solution.
I'was hoping to have settled everything before next saturday when I'll leave for a two and a half week vacation. If by then the hold is still in the approval phase and someone discovers a trivial solution, it's just bad luck for me.

07-10-2007 at 11:52 PM
Tim
Jutt wrote:
I don't see any way to do that without
Don't worry, I do need the second one once to solve the room.

07-10-2007 at 11:55 PM
jbluestein
Tim wrote:
jbluestein wrote:
I know that. Haven't you seen my messages on that particular board? ;)

I'm talking about a possible update here.

Ummm...never mind. :blush

07-11-2007 at 12:14 AM
jbluestein
I can't seem to get anywhere with Level 1: 3N1E.

Specifically:

07-11-2007 at 12:12 PM
Jutt
Ah, you just stumbled upon the puzzle which I designed this room for.

07-11-2007 at 12:57 PM
jbluestein
OK, I have three rooms left to solve in this hold, and were it just me I'd keep slogging, but since I can't vote to promote the hold until I've solved them, I'm asking for hints.

The three rooms are:

Tarchitecture: 1N, 1E, 1W

Here's where I am:

1N: Nowhere. Where do I atart cutting?

1E: Fairly far -- This one's just hard to get straight because of time constraints. I think I know how to solve it, though.

1W: I suspect that I somehow need to get some tarbabies that can block the wraithwing so I can get it up to the snake, but I can't seem to make that happen. So clearly I'm missing the point of this room.

Thanks,
Josh

07-22-2007 at 12:21 PM
Rabscuttle
Rank Points: 2460
1W: big spoiler

1N: hard to give hints for. I made shapes like this

07-23-2007 at 01:31 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Jutt

File: AAA Demos.zip (6.8 KB)
Downloaded 52 times.
License: Public Domain
icon Re: An Architects Audition (+2)  
Jbluestein, here are demo's for the three rooms you requested.

08-08-2007 at 04:02 PM
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Architecture : An Architects Audition (My first Hold)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com