Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Other Boards : Anything : Essential Fantasy
Page 3 of 3
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
malkav11
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 59
IP: Logged
icon Re: Essential Fantasy (+1)  
Interesting to be reminded of where I was at, reading-wise, back in '07. I still stand by most of that.

Robin Hobb is amazing, if a mite depressing.

The Malazan Book of the Fallen is now finished and even more amazing collectively than I had thought back then. I wound up spending like four or five solid months reading all ten books in sequence and...man, that was an intense experience. The level of planning that went into that thing is incredible. He very clearly knew exactly where he was going from the very beginning and things tie into one another in an immensely intricate web, all there from the start. There's been a couple of followup books in the same world, addressing some side questions that don't directly relate to the main narrative of the series, but at this point I don't think I could go back to that well. It's incredible, but it's draining.

Joe Abercrombie's emerged as a major talent in gritty fantasy, with a fantastic trilogy (The First Law) and then three subsequent standalone works in the same setting and sharing certain characters, but evoking other sorts of story. I think probably the highlights are The Heroes - an exhaustive and uncompromising tale of a bloody three day battle as well as a phenomenal meditation on heroism - and Red Country - a sort of classic western with imperfect characters and outright villains trying their luck outside the furthest reaches of the law and nobody much getting what they deserve.

Daniel Abraham's also one to watch. His Long Price quartet is meticulously crafted, exquisitely written, and conceptually innovative. Each book is its own sort of story with its own emphases and purpose, but collectively they form a sort of biography of the key moments in the life of one exceptional man and his country. And then he's got one of the best urban fantasy series I've read under the pseudonym MLN Hanover, and is one half of the team working on the excellent moderately hard-SF Expanse trilogy (under the pseudonym James S.A. Corey).

And one more to round out the lot:
Check out K.J. Parker. Many of the books Parker's written are light on any purely fantastical elements, focusing more on the actual mechanics and rhythms of medieval/renaissance era living in fictional realms, but a couple of the trilogies have elements of more traditional fantasy. All of them contain certain core stylistic elements - a deep understanding and emphasis on how, e.g., smithing or fencing or engineering or whatever actually work, a fascination with human nature and peccadilloes, dry, black humor, and a very keen, almost dissective understanding of the characters, coupled with a certain distance from them whether they behave in heroic ways or perform unconscionable acts. And, oh yeah, the sense that the author has never heard of this "happy ending" nonsense and wouldn't particularly hold with it if they had. (Not much is known about K.J. Parker. Not even gender.)

Make no mistake - they're bleak books. But they're also extremely well written and often surprisingly funny in an occasionally morbid way.
04-27-2013 at 07:30 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
west.logan
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 608
icon Re: Essential Fantasy (0)  
It appears I have a lot of reading to do :)

I wanted to put in a plug for Brandon Sanderson's Mistborn while I'm here. It's not the most intricate or amazing piece of literature but I found it very engaging---probably one of the most enjoyable reads I've had in a while. It has great characters, decent plot, really fun magic system, and cool fight scenes.

I also recently read Rothfuss' Name of the Wind and Wise Man's Fear and enjoyed both of those. I felt like I was savouring each paragraph. The language and the story is beautiful and well-told. I know a lot of people didn't like the second book because it didn't move the story forward as much, but I enjoyed it perhaps more than the first because I felt like I was just listening to a well-told story. I almost don't care if it ends or has a point or an ultimate victory, I just enjoy reading about the Many Adventures of Kvothe. I agree with many reviewers that the sudden change in Kvothe's sexual life to be a bit annoying, but it wasn't incongruous and Felurian is a very believable character. I was reading quite a bit before I realized the dialogue between Felurian and Kvothe was often in meter, if not outright rhymes but it was so well done I scarcely noticed. It was beautiful.

I really enjoyed Kvothe's time at court, with all the court politics, all in all, just a very enjoyable story, not on epic proportions yet by any means but something nice to curl up to and relish.

04-29-2013 at 02:15 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Pearls
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 767
icon Re: Essential Fantasy (0)  
west.logan wrote:
I really enjoyed Kvothe's time at court

I agree wholeheartedly.

Click here to view the secret text

05-06-2013 at 03:56 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Page 3 of 3
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Other Boards : Anything : Essential Fantasy
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com