Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Other Boards : Anything : Essential Fantasy
Page 2 of 3
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
eytanz
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2708
IP: Logged
icon Re: Essential Fantasy (0)  
A question about Martin's series - is it open-ended? It's currently at four volumes and there's a fifth coming out, which puts my in a dilemma - if there's a definite end I'd rather wait for all the books to be released before I start reading it, but if it's open ended I may as well start now.

06-15-2007 at 04:14 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Blondbeard
Rank Points: 1486
If you don't mind waiting a decade that might be a good idea, eytanz. I think there's supposed to be seven books, but it will take time before they are all done.
06-15-2007 at 04:39 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
The spitemaster
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 354
Have none of you touched L. E. Mosley Jr.? Admitted all of his books eventually say the same thing, but the first two or three are impressive. (His stand alones are amazing)

Sara Douglas is not a very intriguing writer, I don't know why someone even put her on this list.

I wish that man would stay away
06-15-2007 at 07:04 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Oneiromancer
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2936
eytanz wrote:
A question about Martin's series - is it open-ended? It's currently at four volumes and there's a fifth coming out, which puts my in a dilemma - if there's a definite end I'd rather wait for all the books to be released before I start reading it, but if it's open ended I may as well start now.
It's not open-ended, and as Blondbeard said, he's not the fastest writer. Personally, I kind of like reading books as they are coming out because then I can participate in discussions about what we think things mean, and what will happen next. When the series is finished, you pretty much know everything that the author wants you to know.

Anyway, I think it's worth getting the first one (just get it from a library if you must) to see if you even like him. Obviously some people, like Cramp, don't--but all of my RL friends who like fantasy have really liked the series. One of my ex-girlfriends never reads fantasy but she read those books and really liked them. The way that Martin structures the books, you really get to know a few characters very well, so if you like those characters, you will like the book. If you don't sympathize with the characters, you probably won't like the book.

"He who is certain he knows the ending of things when he is only beginning them is either extremely wise or extremely foolish; no matter which is true, he is certainly an unhappy man, for he has put a knife in the heart of wonder." -- Tad Williams
06-15-2007 at 10:41 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Mattcrampy
Rank Points: 2388
The spitemaster wrote:

Sara Douglas is not a very intriguing writer, I don't know why someone even put her on this list.

Mostly because she was prolific and I was waiting for someone to come in and say whether or not she's any good. Thank you, masked stranger!

06-16-2007 at 11:22 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
The spitemaster
Rank Points: 354
Is there much of a difference here on what is science fiction and what is fantasy? Authors like Tad Willams write both, but where are we drawing the line? Needing to fulfill a checklist on whether it has dragons/magic/swords is not very detailed.

Maybe we should do a top ten overall fantasy writers(And then their books)?

I wish that man would stay away
06-18-2007 at 03:39 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Beef Row
Rank Points: 471
The spitemaster wrote:
Needing to fulfill a checklist on whether it has dragons/magic/swords is not very detailed.

Its not even THAT easy. For example, someone mentioned Mervyn Peake in here. Titus Groan (the first book in his Gormenghast series) is clearly fantasy. And yet, there is only one possibly supernatural element to the entire book (not sure about the rest of the series, but I don't think this especially changes). Other than dealing with the inhabitants of a castle, it lacks most of the traditional fantasy elements. It becomes fantasy simply, I suppose because its set in place that never existed. (Sure, many of the characters are quite odd, but you get that in Dickens or Twain for instance, and they don't count as fantasy, most of the time.)

06-18-2007 at 04:48 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
malkav11
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 59
Mattcrampy wrote:
The spitemaster wrote:

Mostly because she was prolific and I was waiting for someone to come in and say whether or not she's any good. Thank you, masked stranger!

The answer would be no, not very. I read the first three of her Wayfarer Redemption series and it's really pretty cliched and awkward. I sort of enjoyed it on a very basic level, but if I had a chance to go back and read something else instead I'd probably take it.

I was also annoyed to see that it suddenly sprouted an extra book after what I was quite certain was the end of a trilogy. And no, I'm not going to read that one. She's got a semi-historical fantasy series going that's got, I think, demons or something in it. And I'm sorta tempted by that, as it presses some of my buttons. But I just don't think it's going to be well enough written to be worth it.
06-23-2007 at 05:15 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
malkav11
icon Re: Essential Fantasy (+3)  
Some other things:

Donaldson....very talented writer, without question. I really didn't like the first Chronicles of Thomas Covenant. The rape, the relentlessly depressing subject matter. Thomas Covenant going through each book refusing to believe for like, 95% of the dang thing, having some big revelation, AND THEN RIGHT BACK TO UNBELIEVING IN THE NEXT BOOK...yeah, that made me want to strangle him. The Land, the other characters, those were good. But Covenant...*resists urge to murder*

The Second Chronicles were much more appealing to me, simply because he wasn't so intensely annoying. (I think the woman he had along for the ride helped. Even though he really didn't deserve her.)

I grant that Donaldson has a range of subject material, but I'm not so sure about his range of styles. I found the Gap series to be very much the same sort of extremely dark, character-punishing , enormously-depressing stuff that the Thomas Covenant books were (albeit the Second Chronicles being less so than the first), except in SF. I liked it a lot more because the characters were not Thomas Covenant.

Recommendations:
Old Stuff:
The usuals, plus I can't believe no one's mentioned Robert E. Howard's Conan stories (and to a lesser extent, his Kull and Bran Mak Morn and so on stories). Sure, they're pulpy, but Howard's original Conan is a lot more interesting and varied than the stereotype we're used to these days. He's substantially more intelligent than is usually remembered, for one thing.

New Stuff:
Epic fantasywise, Martin is of course a god among men with his plots full of treachery and politicking and his subtle, looming threats and sudden killings of the sort of characters that will survive all 34 of Jordan and Goodkind's eventual books (that's 34 each, not total). Though yeah, I expect they wouldn't be much fun if you didn't identify with the characters, but I've found Martin to have an astonishing talent for making you identify with them. Even people who were/are among the villains of the series. Although honestly....nobody's perfect in his books, and it's a lot more complicated than just good vs. evil. Another thing I like.

But I'd also like to recommend Steven Erikson, whose Malazan Book of the Fallen series is, I think, right around the same level of quality. Honestly can't decide if it's better or worse. (Definitely a cooler name, though.) Martin gets me with all the political maneuvering and internecine strife while bad things are a-rising. Erikson gets me with the sense that ancient, historical forces are at work. Gods are mucking about with things on a very personal level. Gods who used to be men, who ascended. Magic derived from warrens that are entire, ancient dimensions with their own secrets inside. Military campaigns that make history. I mean, Jordan and Goodkind play with things like prophesied heroes and such, and that's okay, but Erikson's stuff just feels inherently epic without all this gobbledygook. I don't know if I'm accurately conveying how I feel about this series. Let me try again - Erikson feels like he's recording the history of a real place (most of the time) with all sorts of things that are off-screen playing roles that are only revealed in the fullness of time. But not one of those dry-as-dust history class textbooks. If I have a complaint, it's that they tend to be fairly slow builds towards just shatteringly eventful climaxes in the last, like, fifty pages or so. It's not that there's not a bunch of stuff happening in the rest, but it's..well, background. That, and he really seems to write characters less as people than as roles. There's some characterization, but...anyway. Just try it. Gardens of the Moon's the first book.

Other fantasy:
Martha Wells - She's got a couple of other standalone books (both excellent), but her bread and butter seems to be (at this point), a series of books set in a sort of magically influenced France analogue called Ile-Rien. I was going to describe it as Victorian era, but that's not really accurate as the five books she's written in that setting occur in multiple time periods in that setting. I'm mostly thinking of my favorite, Death of the Necromancer, which involves a gentleman thief's attempts to gain vengeance on the man who had his father executed on (false) charges of necromancy. Attempts which wind up turning into a hunt for a very real necromancer who's on the way back and wreaking various kinds of havoc. There's also a rather Holmesian detective and an opium-addicted sorceror. A great deal of detail's gone into the world-building and the characters, as is typical of her work. There's also an earlier book, "The Element of Fire", which I have not read as it had been out of print for ages and I would have had to pay $40 or so for a mass market paperback. Fortunately it has recently been rereleased in a lovely trade edition. I just haven't had the chance to pick it up. And there's a trilogy involving the daughter of "Death of the Necromancer"'s protagonist, of which I read the first book back before the other two were released, and was less thrilled, although it was still comparatively excellent as fantasy goes. I have all three these days, but...so many books, so little time.

Steven Brust, mostly for his Vlad Taltos books about an engaging sorceror/witch/assassin (and a spinoff series adopting a Three Musketeers-like style discussing earlier parts of the setting's history). They're not the deepest books in the world, but they're fun and reasonably original. (Although as I understand it, the setting is from a roleplaying game Brust was in, along with one or two people I know. Hey, he used to live in Minneapolis. I wish I'd managed to meet him before he moved to Vegas.)

Joel Rosenberg (NOT Joel C. Rosenberg, who is a fundamentalist Christian nutjob who writes thrillers about the End Times and Muslim terrorists.). I'm not 100% in love with his writing style - he has a certain love of going back and for with "On the other hand" or similar phrases that's kind of irritating. But he's got a series about roleplayers put in their characters' shoes that may not be original in concept but runs with the conceit in (reasonably) logical and interesting ways. They wind up in something of an anti-slavery crusade pretty quickly, and there's nation-building and families being raised and...yeah. He's also got a newer series about knights working for a British empire in an alternate history where magic works (but the wild, strong, dangerous forms of it are being/have been systematically exterminated with only a few exceptions) and not much technology beyond gunpowder has been discovered. The empire is that of the Pendragons, naturally. Oh, and some of the knights bear what are known as live swords, which come in two varieties, both very powerful and very dangerous - the White and the Red. White live swords have the souls of saints in them, saints who voluntarily gave up their souls to the live sword creation process in order to serve the King and Christianity. Red swords are made from unwilling souls. Traditionally the blackest of criminals and traitors and other evil, damned souls. Genghis Khan, for example.

Much less cliched premise, and I'm enjoying it more...though both series are quite solid. He's also written an SF novel about mercenaries from the new Jewish homeworld, and a couple of Minneapolis-set mysteries (well, not sure how mysterious they are, but you know) about a guy named Ernest Hemingway (not that Ernest Hemingway) and his friends from his squad in Vietnam (also named identically to famous people. Assigned together because the higher-ups thought it was funny.). Him I've actually met a couple times when he brought his young daughter to the weekly gaming gathering I attend. Nice guy.

Michael A. Stackpole: Okay, so he's probably most known for his turns at Star Wars and Battletech licensed fiction, and tradition indicates that licensed fiction authors usually aren't any good, but Stackpole has a fine hand at writing military action in most any setting and has come up with a few pretty nifty settings all on his own. I'm most fond of the quartet of books that start with The Dark Glory War, in which a group of heroes sets out to defeat the growing threat posed by the evil sorceress Empress Chytrine and her armies. And get their asses kicked all over the damn place and then, spirits broken, get turned into her supernaturally enhanced evil generals. That was a nice twist. (That's just the Dark Glory War. The remaining three deal with the efforts of the next generation of heroes. But there are all sorts of implications that come with what happens in that first book.)

Matthew (Woodring) Stover - He dropped his middle name at some point. You may have encountered him as the guy that almost managed to make Star Wars Episode III's wretched storyline work as a novel. (It's not great literature or anything, but it's a whole lot better than the movie.) Well, he did what he could with that, but when he does his own thing he's great. He's written a number of other things but I particularly recommend Heroes Die and Blade of Tyshalle, about a caste-divided future Earth that's managed to open gateways to a fantasy world and sends through Actors with implanted sense-recording technology to take the role of major fantasy-type characters in those worlds. Not heroes, necessarily. Whatever makes for good viewing back home. And more specifically, about a particular Actor, who plays a world-class assassin named Caine. Who has a deep and burning rage against the class system back home. They're pretty bleak, and Caine's not exactly a nice guy, but ultimately he's fighting for the cause of justice. And maybe he'll even win. You never know.

J. Gregory Keyes/Greg Keyes - So far, three major fantasy series (and he too has written some Star Wars) - one involving a strongly Mayan-influenced setting where everything has its own god, one involving an alternate 16th setting where all those crazy inventions that people thought up when they thought things like aether were real, well, they actually work. First book? Isaac Newton slams a comet into Paris. Good times. And his most recent and quite possibly most promising (if possibly veering off into the realm of the never-ending the way Jordan and Goodkind and so many others are) involves a humanity recovering from enslavement by the evil Skasloi and warring amongst each other with treachery and dark forces arising. Laws of death broken. Briar King awoken. Familial murders. Young love. All that sort of good stuff. I don't know. I think I need to stop now even though I could be recommending a lot more. Getting hard to give proper descriptions.
06-23-2007 at 06:54 AM
eytanz
Rank Points: 2708
malkav11 wrote:

Michael A. Stackpole: Okay, so he's probably most known for his turns at Star Wars and Battletech licensed fiction, and tradition indicates that licensed fiction authors usually aren't any good, but Stackpole has a fine hand at writing military action in most any setting and has come up with a few pretty nifty settings all on his own.

I've read the first two novels of his current series - I think it will be a trilogy when it ends, but I'm not sure - they are called A Secret Atlas and Cartomancy. The story is a mess of too-many subplots, each of them complex enough for a book on its own, and of somewhat inconsistent characterization, but the world-building is really great. He has a lot of cool ideas, and makes them work together pretty well. Based on these novels, I consider Stackpole far from essential, but certainly a good read.

[Last edited by eytanz at 06-23-2007 02:31 PM]
06-23-2007 at 02:28 PM
malkav11
Yeah, I have those and haven't read them because a) it's not done yet, and b) I need to read library books before I dip into my own collection. My books don't have to go back anytime soon. ;P

And he's by no means among the greats of the field. But he's quite enjoyable and manages to make even cheesy licenses (Dark Conspiracy, anyone?) fun reads.
06-23-2007 at 10:41 PM
Oneiromancer
icon Re: Essential Fantasy (+1)  
I just finished a book that came out very recently, The Name of the Wind by Patrick Rothfuss. It was excellent and I would highly recommend it to anyone who enjoys coming-of-age fantasy. The world has a lot of potential, the main character is very likable, and the supporting cast is sufficiently interesting and fraught with future development potential. It is, to put it shortly, an amazing book for a first-time author (assuming it isn't a pseudonym).

The book is clearly the first in a trilogy (the subtitle is "The Kingkiller Chronicle, Day One" and it is made clear early on that there will be 3 days) so those that like complete series will probably give it a pass. The book is about 1/6 third person and the rest first person, as the main character dictates his life to a scribe (and he claims it will take three days to do so, as there is a lot to tell--although I suspect that the story has ample room for expansion after the story is told, but I imagine they would be two separate trilogies). I used to not like first person fiction so much, but Robin Hobb has turned me around and I was much more able to appreciate this novel.

Since it just came out it's only in hardcover, but I bought it through the Science Fiction Book Club for $13 or $14. It was a featured selection last month (not that I was required to order it--after I fulfilled my obligation I changed the contract to never send me a book that I don't order...they're nice about that the way the CD ordering services weren't) which is really amazing for a first time author, from what I understand. The Amazon reviews are pretty good too, so I once again highly recommend this book to those who are not afraid to buy in hardcover sight unseen, and then wait for a year or more for the sequel. ;)

"He who is certain he knows the ending of things when he is only beginning them is either extremely wise or extremely foolish; no matter which is true, he is certainly an unhappy man, for he has put a knife in the heart of wonder." -- Tad Williams
06-30-2007 at 06:42 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
DanielFishman
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 159
Beef Row wrote:
The spitemaster wrote:
Needing to fulfill a checklist on whether it has dragons/magic/swords is not very detailed.

Its not even THAT easy. For example, someone mentioned Mervyn Peake in here. Titus Groan (the first book in his Gormenghast series) is clearly fantasy. And yet, there is only one possibly supernatural element to the entire book (not sure about the rest of the series, but I don't think this especially changes). Other than dealing with the inhabitants of a castle, it lacks most of the traditional fantasy elements. It becomes fantasy simply, I suppose because its set in place that never existed. (Sure, many of the characters are quite odd, but you get that in Dickens or Twain for instance, and they don't count as fantasy, most of the time.)

I would have said that you are really stretching the definition of fantasy to say that Gormenghast etc are 'fantasy'. As far as I can remember (and I read them pretty recently) there was nothing in them that *couldn't* have happened on Earth, which I think pretty much excludes them from being fantasy, not the fact that it's a place & time that never existed.

In fact, Titus Alone, the third book, seemed more science fiction than anything else to me.

Not saying anything against the books, just don't feel they are fantasy.

Oh, and I notice that the only thing no-one disagrees on is Tolkein :cool
07-04-2007 at 03:02 AM
silver
Rank Points: 915
hrm. yes. we should be clear on the difference between "historical fiction" and "fantasy" even if the historical fiction is set in pre-gun earth.

07-04-2007 at 03:25 AM
jemann
Rank Points: 160
Genres do blend into each other. There's a fairly vague boundary between SF and fantasy; 'magical realism' straddles the line between fantasy and conventional fiction. Little, Big probably falls on the fantasy side (because it's got fairies in it); is Hamlet historical fiction, or fantasy (because of the ghost)?

Tolkien is indisputably fantasy because he's pretty much the defining point of fantasy. I brought up Peake because he's often mentioned in the same breath as Tolkien, but I accept it's not in the heartland of fantasy. Gormenghast is definitely not historical fiction, though - it's an alternate, insular world. It feels vaguely English, but there's no sense of any particular time or place. You might as well call Kafka historical fiction.

(It's been a while since I read Titus Alone, but I recall it feeling somewhat different - it felt to me a little like Lewis' That Hideous Strength, which is itself a pretty odd fish).

[Last edited by jemann at 07-04-2007 05:25 AM : Not that I'm labelling Kafka as fantasy...]
07-04-2007 at 05:18 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
BeefontheBone
Rank Points: 184
Oh, and I notice that the only thing no-one disagrees on is Tolkein
Probably becasue he's the archetype - personally I find LotR to be rather tedious and the characterisation pretty uninteresting. (I remember The Hobbit, on the other hand, as being wonderful - possibly due to my dad's enthusiasm for it as much as anything else). It's pretty undeniable that he qualifies as "essential" though; you can't read much of what's been recommended above without knowing where it comes from and how much it owes to Tolkien, although it might be very interesting to hear the view of some strange person who did that, coming to decent modern fantasy without Tolkien having penetrated their consciousness.

07-04-2007 at 11:17 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
silver
Rank Points: 915
BeefontheBone wrote:
I find LotR to be rather tedious and the characterisation pretty uninteresting.

there's novels "about" different kinds of things - some are about plots, some are about characters, and some are about settings. guess which LotR is? :) the characters suck because they're meant to be racial archetypes. the plot sucks because it really does have the hole in it that one of those intelligent, giant eagles could have dropped the ring into the volcano on page 2, but that's okay because the plot was just an excuse to visit the various regions of Middle Earth and read the lavish descriptions. there's a reason there was a huge appendix on history and language -- those were the central tenets of the books. "setting" novels are unusual, but they exist and this just happens to be one of 'em.

it might be very interesting to hear the view of some strange person who did that, coming to decent modern fantasy without Tolkien having penetrated their consciousness.

sounds like the plot for a fantasy story :)

07-05-2007 at 12:16 AM
BeefontheBone
True enough. I don't dislike the setting thing, but it interests me far more if it's tempered with a few characters I can get my teeth into. LeGuin's Earthsea is an amazing setting, but the characters make it more interesting for me at least. Similarly with Zelazny's Amber work. And the converse is true of the Wheel of Time - it's all character (and a lot of them) and a few interesting things about places and groups of people (the Blight, the deserty bits, etc) and an ptherwsie pretty uninteesting backdrop.

07-05-2007 at 09:14 PM
Oneiromancer
BeefontheBone wrote:
True enough. I don't dislike the setting thing, but it interests me far more if it's tempered with a few characters I can get my teeth into. LeGuin's Earthsea is an amazing setting, but the characters make it more interesting for me at least. Similarly with Zelazny's Amber work. And the converse is true of the Wheel of Time - it's all character (and a lot of them) and a few interesting things about places and groups of people (the Blight, the deserty bits, etc) and an ptherwsie pretty uninteesting backdrop.
Hmmm. My feelings about those series are contradictory at best. I was very bored with all aspects of the original Earthsea trilogy (although I liked the short novel in the Legends compilation). I enjoyed Amber, but it wasn't because of the characters (besides the mystery of Corwin's identity). And what really got me interested in the Wheel of Time series was the magic and prophecy surrounding the main characters. This isn't to say that I don't appreciate novels for good characters...I enjoy the first-person Robin Hobb books because of that, and I especially like George R. R. Martin's characters, whereas others enjoy the politics of his series more. And actually, I appreciate Stephen King much more for his characters than for his supernatural imagination.

Anyway, just wanted to point out that everyone gets something different out of what they read, and like all art, it's just a matter of opinion. :)

07-06-2007 at 12:23 AM
BeefontheBone
Not true - I get *nothing* out of Stephen King :P

07-06-2007 at 07:30 PM
Banjooie
Rank Points: 1645
The point of LotR was not the plot.

The point of LotR was not the characters.

The point was Tolkien had this big, gigantic world plot out, and the whole series is a freaking tour guide.
07-06-2007 at 08:47 PM
malkav11
Incidentally, I'm not quite sure if it's "essential" fantasy or not, but I can wholeheartedly recommend to most Sergei Lukyanenko's amazing Watch trilogy: Night Watch, Day Watch, and Twilight Watch. Each book is a collection of three chronologically arranged novellas. Each one has its own major plot arc and usually some pretty twisty plot turns and revelations, but they do feed forward into each other with the third often revealing what was going on behind the scenes in the first two and coming to some uberclimax. They're set in (or mostly in) modern-day Russia, particularly Moscow and suburbs, although because it's fantasy, it's a modern-day Russia with a relatively small number of supernatural beings lurking behind the scenes. You see, certain people are born different - with the potential to become what he calls "Others". You don't automatically switch on - you have to be found and initiated - but when you do you get a much longer life, better health, and the ability to manipulate the energy around you in various ways. Which is to say, you can do magic. Different Others have different levels of power, and most of them are low-rank individuals who simply live out average day-to-day existences, just ones that are smoother than most because they have a supernatural card up their sleeve. There are also vampires and werewolves, who are considered Others, but operate somewhat differently - they have relatively low power and a bunch of drawbacks, but they can make others of their kind instead of having to find them.

There is, of course, a big good vs evil conflict. Sort of. Others, you see, divide into Light or Dark, depending on their feelings and personality at the time of initiation. Generally it's pretty clear which a given individual will become. Vampires and werewolves are always Dark, because their needs must be taken from regular humans. And yes, long ago there were great wars between the two sides, but they eventually realized that their conflict, if kept at that level, would inevitably result in both sides being destroyed. So they made a treaty, which established rules and guidelines for the activities of both factions, and established the Watches to ensure the peace was kept. There's the Night Watch, which watches the Dark Others on behalf of the Light, and the Day Watch, which watches the Light Others on behalf of the Dark. (There's also a third faction, the Inquisition. The police who police the police, as it were.) All of the stories revolve around the plots worked to achieve subtle victories over one faction or the other. And it becomes clear that it's not *really* a good/evil dichotomy. There's a lot more shades of grey inbetween, which is where both sides tend to operate.

Anyway. It's neat stuff.
07-07-2007 at 09:37 AM
west.logan
Rank Points: 608
Old topic, could use an update?

I've been feeling on something of a fantasy gig lately and having read through the Potter books last year, decided to look further. I saw Name of the Wind recommended and have been enjoying it.

Nevertheless, I find the descriptions of the *ahem* "adult" nature of the second book to be a bit discouraging, plus not knowing when the last book will be out, if ever.

So I started scrounging around and found Robin Hobb recommended as a good author.

1. Has anyone read any of her books? Which ones would be good to start with?
2. Anyone ever read the Mistborn books?
3. Any other great fantasy series that are clean enough to share with my wife?

03-08-2013 at 04:51 PM
Red-XIII
Rank Points: 623
west.logan wrote:
3. Any other great fantasy series that are clean enough to share with my wife?

I can suggest Inheritance Cycle by Christopher Paolini: the idea is very simple but I really liked it and it's definitely clean :)

I can also say Night Watch (in Russian: Ночной дозор, Nochnoy Dozor) (copied that from Wikipedia) It's another good (russian) fantasy and though it has some horror in it can still be really worthy.

I also read that Terry Brooks has been suggested but it's not bad to suggest it again :)

03-08-2013 at 05:18 PM
west.logan
Thanks. I started the Inheritance Cycle some time before the second book came out and read them as they were released.

The first book was by far my favourite. The last one is probably next, then the third. The second was kind of weird and I didn't like it as much. But I agree, neat idea and I liked the magic system and ancient language stuff a lot.

03-08-2013 at 05:21 PM
Red-XIII
Rank Points: 623
Totally agree with you except that I liked the second book more than the third; and yes, the first is definitely the best one for me too. I also read them before the second book was released :)
The only problem was that we had to wait 3 years for every book, but it was totally worth it!

Sadly you said clean series otherwise A Song of Ice and Fire by George R. R. Martin would be perfect. It's definitely my favourite fantasy novel but it's also definitely not clean.
Even this has been suggested, it's nice to know that I'm not the only one who read mainly fantasy series :)

03-08-2013 at 05:43 PM
west.logan
I started reading Game of Thrones but ended up stopping because of that actually. Well-written and interesting but I just didn't need all the sex scenes so moved on to something else.

I may try Robin Hobb, some of her books are available at my library.

03-08-2013 at 06:10 PM
mrimer
Rank Points: 5064
I skipped out on Game of Thrones early on too.

I've read Mistborn, and I highly recommend it. Also stand-alone "Elantris". And just about anything else by Brandon Sanderson.

And I come back to you now at the turn of the tide.
03-08-2013 at 11:13 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
west.logan
Thanks! Sounds like we have similar tastes/criteria. I'll check out Sanderson.

03-11-2013 at 02:56 PM
west.logan
For anyone who is interested in kindle books, Brandon Sanderson's "The Way of Kings" is available on sale for $2.99 today. Don't know how long it will last.

03-15-2013 at 09:00 PM
Page 2 of 3
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Other Boards : Anything : Essential Fantasy
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com