Announcement: Why not try our official idea generator for inspiration when making puzzles?

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Architecture : Which holds are finished?
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
jdyer
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 329
IP: Logged
icon Which holds are finished? (0)  
So, new DROD is done. Woot! I hop over to here to see what sort of levels to download, and it looks like many are 'works in progress' and I am having difficulty working out what to download and what to leave alone at the moment. Any suggestions?

(And a bit on the web page with a list of finished holds one can download directly is nice. I am guessing it is already in the works so I shall grumble no more.)
10-31-2003 at 07:04 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Oneiromancer
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2936
icon Re: Which holds are finished? (0)  
"The Tomb of Nomb Special DVD Edition" by eytanz is pretty much done. And I think Happy House is a one level standalone, as well as some others that you can find...like Moria, which is fun but short, and Impossible Cubes, which is good...and several more. If it has multiple levels it is more likely to be a work in progress. ClaytonW's hold, agaricus5's hold, and The_Red_Hawk's hold are all difficult and multi-level and still will have more levels coming. NoahT's hold is multi-level and will have more, but it meant for new players and is very easy.

From your post it seems like you may have read my Treasure Hunt topic...that one is near complete, and has several rooms from my previous The Dreaming holds, so you don't really need to download those ones. In fact, I will probably go update those posts right after this.

Don't forget that the official release has only been out for a week or so. Some people were rightly concerned about making holds during beta, when it was possible for data to get lost (and it did, sometimes). This didn't stop many of us, but it may have stopped some people, or at least slowed them down. In a few weeks there should be plenty of holds to download.

Game on,

[Edited by Oneiromancer on 10-31-2003 at 07:31 AM GMT]

"He who is certain he knows the ending of things when he is only beginning them is either extremely wise or extremely foolish; no matter which is true, he is certainly an unhappy man, for he has put a knife in the heart of wonder." -- Tad Williams
10-31-2003 at 07:30 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Mattcrampy
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2388
Smallsome Swicks is also done.

We're (well, when Schik would like a break from adding new monsters) adding a feature to DROD.net so you can download the holds from the site. We'll have rankings and everything, it'll be cool.

Matt

10-31-2003 at 09:56 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Schik
Rank Points: 5381
I have taken said break and am currently about 90% done on the uploading part. Then I just need to write the code for you to present the holds on the main site, and we'll be set.

10-31-2003 at 12:49 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
Oneiromancer
Rank Points: 2936
I think this might have been brought up by someone else before, but it might be a good idea to have two Architecture-type forums: one for works in progress and another to discuss completed holds hosted on the main page. The one for hosted holds can be linked to via a comments page, just like for the current News forum. Of course only a webmaster or legendary smitemaster can start a new topic, like the News is now.

On the other hand, once people have discussed a work in progress for so long in that forum, they probably won't want to discuss it much more in the completed holds forum. I guess it would be left for new players and those who didn't want to play the hold during the testing process to add their comments then. Of course everyone that played it should vote on it, especially if they played during the final phase of testing.

Game on,

"He who is certain he knows the ending of things when he is only beginning them is either extremely wise or extremely foolish; no matter which is true, he is certainly an unhappy man, for he has put a knife in the heart of wonder." -- Tad Williams
10-31-2003 at 04:36 PM
Schik
Oneiromancer wrote:
I think this might have been brought up by someone else before, but it might be a good idea to have two Architecture-type forums: one for works in progress and another to discuss completed holds hosted on the main page. The one for hosted holds can be linked to via a comments page, just like for the current News forum. Of course only a webmaster or legendary smitemaster can start a new topic, like the News is now.
We're way ahead of ya. :) With my current code, when a new hold is uploaded it automatically creates a new thread in the "Holds" forum, with the hold as an attachment. Of course, it's all on my test db so you can't see any of it yet. Hopefully we can have something up in the next week or two.

10-31-2003 at 05:05 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
jdyer
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 329
I snagged Moria, Tomb of Nomb DVD edition, Smallsome Swicks, Impossible Cubes, and Happy House. Thanks for the replies. I'm going to use these to help evangalize once the Master Builder says it's a go, so if you want to join the bandwagon feel free to say so.

The levels I've tried so far have been excellent. Cookies for everyone!

Also, the finished hold forum does sound like an excellent idea.

[Edited by jdyer on 10-31-2003 at 07:39 PM GMT]
10-31-2003 at 07:37 PM
Mattcrampy
Most likely the 'Hold' forum would be for reviews of the final hold, objections to rankings, etc. The Architect's forum would stay pretty much as it is, as a beta hold area.

It occurs to me that I'd better ask Schik what exactly he'll need from me so we can link it all up nicely. Should have done that to start off with.

Matt

11-01-2003 at 12:47 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Schik
As soon as I have a little time to work on it, I'll write some code to query for all the holds & their information and write an HTML template that you can change as you please to present the information. You won't have to see a lick of PHP code, as I'm planning it. I should have something for you by early next week - I don't think I'll have time over the weekend.

11-01-2003 at 02:05 PM
Mattcrampy
That will be absoluely lovely. Thanks, Matt.

Other Matt

11-01-2003 at 09:49 PM
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Architecture : Which holds are finished?
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com