Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Other Boards : Anything : Mushrooms, was Re: DROD in your language
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
leroy00
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 155
IP: Logged
icon Mushrooms, was Re: DROD in your language (0)  
relocating the thread, since it may soon get out of hand:

agaricus5 wrote:
We saw a great deal of fly agaric (despite their bad reputation great to look at)...
Did you visit a Birch/Spruce forest then? - most Fly Agarics tend to form mycorrhizal relationships with Spruce or Birch trees and from what you said, it appears you did.

Yeah, it was pretty much pure spruce. We only look in spruce or birch forests here, sometimes in a heath kind of environment with few trees and mostly heather. We found only one (but large and really nice) boletus edulis, which is pretty much the prize catch of mushroom gatherers in these parts. (This was in one more birchy patch.) (Since I don't know all the english names I will stick to the latin ones, but don't think I am an expert; I only go hunting with a mushroom guide in hand, which also includes the latin names.)

...and the "pearl mushroom" Amanita rubescens of the same family.
That's interesting. I know the mushroom as "The Blusher". What is it called in German?

In German it is called "Perlpilz", hence my incorrect translation.

Pretty tasty and up to 18 cm tall! (The pearl mushrooms, not the fly agarics.) Unfortunately the season was short because it quickly got too cold this year.
Cool!

However, (It's probably too late to tell you anyway, but...) do be careful not to confuse it with a similar fungus called "The Panther" or Amanita pantherina, which is very poisonous.

There were some "Pantherpilze" (for once the translation is simple), but they are pretty easy to keep apart if you have a guide. There were also some armillaria mellea, but mostly we only found xerocomus subtomentosus and suillus luteus, which are fine but no big catch. In Germany the (somewhat erroneous but generally accepted) rule is, you can eat anything with tubes (not sure that's the right term) but beware of everything with gills (ditto).

This year for some reason there were a bunch of agaricus campestris behind my parents'-in-law (parents-in-law's:huh) house, which is really unusual. Another of our favourites is leccinum scabrum, but you can't find those very often.

I read an article recently about several deaths as a result of kidney damage in France after having eaten mushrooms previously considered harmless (tricholoma equestre) due to a sensitisation to an antigen in the mushroom.

That is somewhat disturbing, considering it has apparently been being eaten for years, though I wouldn't recognise it. I'd be glad to take you mushroom hunting; I'm sure you could teach me a few things. ;)

leroy

Edit: Maybe someone could tell me how to disguise the link behind some other name. It makes me look cool and it also saves space. I didn't find it in the forum FAQ. reEdit: Thanks eytanz

Another thing: you can't have two forum windows open at once (for example to look in the FAQ how to do something), and clicking on the forum button again on the DROD main page kills any post being written. I'm sure there's a good reason for that, but it caused me to have to retype a couple of posts. Oh well.

[Edited by leroy00 on 10-30-2003 at 01:30 PM GMT]

[Edited by leroy00 on 10-30-2003 at 03:01 PM GMT]

[Edited by leroy00 on 10-30-2003 at 03:02 PM GMT]

10-30-2003 at 01:25 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
eytanz
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2708
icon Re: Mushrooms, was Re: DROD in your language (0)  
Edit: Maybe someone could tell me how to disguise the link behind some other name. It makes me look cool and it also saves space. I didn't find it in the forum FAQ.

First reply to this thread - and already it's off the main topic. Anyway, the easiest way to disguise a link is to press the link button (the fourth button from the left in the row above the text), which gives you prompts and does the hard work for you. You can see how it's done and then do it yourself, but I never bothered learning the conventions of URLs in UBB so I can't tell you.

Another thing: you can't have two forum windows open at once (for example to look in the FAQ how to do something), and clicking on the forum button again on the DROD main page kills any post being written. I'm sure there's a good reason for that, but it caused me to have to retype a couple of posts. Oh well.

I never have trouble having as many forum windows as I want - I've even replied to more than one post at once. What OS/browser are you using?

10-30-2003 at 01:59 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
leroy00
eytanz wrote:

I never have trouble having as many forum windows as I want - I've even replied to more than one post at once. What OS/browser are you using?

Win2K mit IE6. If I click on 'forum' from the main page, it spawns a window with the forum. If I click on it again, the spawned window is updated, i. e. it goes to the forum start page and whatever was in the window gets trashed.

leroy

10-30-2003 at 03:06 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
agaricus5
Rank Points: 1838
leroy00 wrote:
relocating the thread, since it may soon get out of hand:
Good idea ;)

Yeah, it was pretty much pure spruce. We only look in spruce or birch forests here, sometimes in a heath kind of environment with few trees and mostly heather. We found only one (but large and really nice) boletus edulis, which is pretty much the prize catch of mushroom gatherers in these parts. (This was in one more birchy patch.) (Since I don't know all the english names I will stick to the latin ones, but don't think I am an expert; I only go hunting with a mushroom guide in hand, which also includes the latin names.)
Boletus edulis has several names in English. The name I'm familiar with is called "Penny Bun", although I think it is also known as "Cep". What do you know it as in German (I'm interested in foreign names for the same mushrooms)?

That's interesting. I know the mushroom as "The Blusher". What is it called in German?

In German it is called "Perlpilz", hence my incorrect translation.
Thanks for that.

There were some "Pantherpilze" (for once the translation is simple), but they are pretty easy to keep apart if you have a guide. There were also some armillaria mellea, but mostly we only found xerocomus subtomentosus and suillus luteus, which are fine but no big catch. In Germany the (somewhat erroneous but generally accepted) rule is, you can eat anything with tubes (not sure that's the right term) but beware of everything with gills (ditto).
I suppose it's probably because there are more mushrooms identified with gills than with pores, and so ones with gills are "more likely" to be poisonous or inedible, but certainly, many of the Boletes are edible.

This year for some reason there were a bunch of agaricus campestris behind my parents'-in-law (parents-in-law's:huh) house, which is really unusual.
That is very lucky. Agaricus campestris, or the Field Mushroom, usually can only grow on fields and pastures that have not been sprayed with chemicals, so are becoming increasingly rarer to find, at least for people who live in densly farmed/urban areas.

Another of our favourites is leccinum scabrum, but you can't find those very often.

I'm not very acquainted with this one. Could you tell me more about it?

I read an article recently about several deaths as a result of kidney damage in France after having eaten mushrooms previously considered harmless (tricholoma equestre) due to a sensitisation to an antigen in the mushroom.
I can't read it at the moment - I need to subscribe or make an account with them. I'll look into it later.

I'd be glad to take you mushroom hunting; I'm sure you could teach me a few things. ;)
Really, you'd be the one who would teach me more about identifying them in the wild and knowing where to look because I haven't really been able to go out looking for mushrooms much in the past - I have learnt more about them reading about them and looking at photographs than actually through finding them - many of the species that you've mentioned I know about, but have never actually seen in real life. You see, I live in suburban London, far from unspoilt or unpolluted forest/grassland habitats where many of these grow, and because of the lack of mushrooms in the area, I really can't find anybody that organises such forays into the little forest that there is in the area of London I live in. Most of the mushrooms I do find are usually the really small brown ones that can't be identified without a magnifying lens, or really small and nasty-looking bracket fungi on trees, although I have found many good-size clumps of Common Ink Caps Coprinus atramentarius and Shaggy Ink Caps (Lawyer's Wigs) Coprinus comatus and large balls of Daldinia concentrica around my school. Once, just once, I found a rather large Field Mushroom Agaricus campestris on our field, but it, unfortunately, just appeared one year, but never returned afterwards.

[Edited by agaricus5 on 10-30-2003 at 04:14 PM GMT]

[Edited by agaricus5 on 10-30-2003 at 04:15 PM GMT]

10-30-2003 at 04:14 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
leroy00
agaricus5 wrote:
Boletus edulis has several names in English. The name I'm familiar with is called "Penny Bun", although I think it is also known as "Cep". What do you know it as in German (I'm interested in foreign names for the same mushrooms)?

In German it's called "Steinpilz", literally stone mushroom, maybe because of the colour of the cap resembling a smoothed river stone. I don't think it could come from the hardness. They don't rank very high on the Mohs scale. ;)

I suppose it's probably because there are more mushrooms identified with gills than with pores, and so ones with gills are "more likely" to be poisonous or inedible, but certainly, many of the Boletes are edible.
I've read of some mushrooms with pores (have to remember that word) that aren't edible, but apparently they aren't very common. Like I said, we eat all of the ones we find, and I haven't died of it yet.
This year for some reason there were a bunch of agaricus campestris behind my parents'-in-law (parents-in-law's:huh) house, which is really unusual.
That is very lucky. Agaricus campestris, or the Field Mushroom, usually can only grow on fields and pastures that have not been sprayed with chemicals, so are becoming increasingly rarer to find, at least for people who live in densly farmed/urban areas.
Agaricus campestris = "Feldchampignon" in German. They just sprung up everywhere. The field is well fertilised in an organic manner, so you have to watch where you step. I think the reason was a couple of warm, wet cycles seperated by a couple of days of dry weather that let the rhyzomes (I guess that's the right word) develop well.
Another of our favourites is leccinum scabrum, but you can't find those very often.
Check the link below. It's called "Ziegenlippe" in German (goat's lip), and it's a not-very-ostentatious pore mushroom. It is easily recognised by the yellow flesh of the cap.
I can't read it at the moment - I need to subscribe or make an account with them. I'll look into it later.
Try this for a fairly complete list of Latin and corresponding German names of common european wild mushrooms. Eh, the lists don't really correspond, since they are both alphabetical, but click on the Latin name and you get the mushroom page. The pages contain some really nice photographs. And if you look here, you will find a link to the article. Look at the last link embedded in the text called "englischen Originalartikel". I'm not quite sure about the copyright issue there since the article doesn't seem to be free, but there's the link anyway.

I'd be glad to take you mushroom hunting; I'm sure you could teach me a few things. ;)
Really, you'd be the one who would teach me more about identifying them in the wild and knowing where to look because I haven't really been able to go out looking for mushrooms much in the past - I have learnt more about them reading about them and looking at photographs than actually through finding them - many of the species that you've mentioned I know about, but have never actually seen in real life. You see, I live in suburban London, far from unspoilt or unpolluted forest/grassland habitats where many of these grow, and because of the lack of mushrooms in the area, I really can't find anybody that organises such forays into the little forest that there is in the area of London I live in. Most of the mushrooms I do find are usually the really small brown ones that can't be identified without a magnifying lens, or really small and nasty-looking bracket fungi on trees, although I have found many good-size clumps of Common Ink Caps Coprinus atramentarius and Shaggy Ink Caps (Lawyer's Wigs) Coprinus comatus and large balls of Daldinia concentrica around my school. Once, just once, I found a rather large Field Mushroom Agaricus campestris on our field, but it, unfortunately, just appeared one year, but never returned afterwards.
A couple of the coprinus family are edible as far as I know, though I have never collected them. An interesting fact is that coprinus atramentarius is edible, but if you drink alcohol shortly before or up to several hours after eating the mushroom, it can cause a severe reaction.

In Germany, collecting mushrooms is a fairly common thing. Although a few things are eaten in this country that rank as garbage elsewhere. I guess there are good historical grounds for that. In Germany there is a law requiring forests, even private ones, to be open for public use in most cases. I don't suppose British lords and bishops can still hang farmers that poach on their land, but the general impression I have is that private land is a lot more private in Great Britain. That would make a big difference. Anyway, I am not enough of an expert that I seperate each mushroom sort and cook it alone in a special way, we just throw everything together and cook them. We have a few bags in the freezer right now just waiting to be warmed up. That's one of the nicer sides of an otherwise dark, damp German autumn.

leroy

10-30-2003 at 05:24 PM
agaricus5
Rank Points: 1838
leroy00 wrote:
I've read of some mushrooms with pores (have to remember that word) that aren't edible, but apparently they aren't very common. Like I said, we eat all of the ones we find, and I haven't died of it yet.
:)

Check the link below. It's called "Ziegenlippe" in German (goat's lip), and it's a not-very-ostentatious pore mushroom. It is easily recognised by the yellow flesh of the cap. Thanks.

Try this for a fairly complete list of Latin and corresponding German names of common european wild mushrooms. Eh, the lists don't really correspond, since they are both alphabetical, but click on the Latin name and you get the mushroom page. The pages contain some really nice photographs. And if you look here, you will find a link to the article. Look at the last link embedded in the text called "englischen Originalartikel". I'm not quite sure about the copyright issue there since the article doesn't seem to be free, but there's the link anyway.
That is really cool! Thanks for telling me about it and all the other German names for some of the mushrooms.

A couple of the coprinus family are edible as far as I know, though I have never collected them. An interesting fact is that coprinus atramentarius is edible, but if you drink alcohol shortly before or up to several hours after eating the mushroom, it can cause a severe reaction.
Yes. Coprinus atramentarius apparently contain an unusual amino acid called coprine that stops the action of the alcohol destroying enzymes in your liver. Because you cannot then metabolize it after eating the mushroom, it builds up in your body if you drink it and remains in your body for a long while after. It also apparently does the same thing as the drug "Disulfram", or "Antabuse" as it is more commonly known.

In Germany, collecting mushrooms is a fairly common thing. Although a few things are eaten in this country that rank as garbage elsewhere. I guess there are good historical grounds for that. In Germany there is a law requiring forests, even private ones, to be open for public use in most cases. I don't suppose British lords and bishops can still hang farmers that poach on their land, but the general impression I have is that private land is a lot more private in Great Britain. That would make a big difference. Anyway, I am not enough of an expert that I seperate each mushroom sort and cook it alone in a special way, we just throw everything together and cook them. We have a few bags in the freezer right now just waiting to be warmed up. That's one of the nicer sides of an otherwise dark, damp German autumn.
It sounds delicious!

10-31-2003 at 12:32 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Other Boards : Anything : Mushrooms, was Re: DROD in your language
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com