Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Other Boards : Anything : California Fires
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
Oneiromancer
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2936
IP: Logged
icon California Fires (0)  
Probably a lot of you have heard about the fires in Los Angeles, but something that hasn't been too well publicized is the fire that's starting to spread through San Diego. In fact, one front of the fire is about 10 miles from where I live, and we're watching the news with trepidation. It actually jumped interstate 15 and got even closer, but that part appeared to die off and now it is threatening another area. But we're packing up stuff in case we need to evacuate. Scary!

Anyway, just thought I'd let y'all know.

Flame on,

"He who is certain he knows the ending of things when he is only beginning them is either extremely wise or extremely foolish; no matter which is true, he is certainly an unhappy man, for he has put a knife in the heart of wonder." -- Tad Williams
10-26-2003 at 08:47 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
agaricus5
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1838
icon Re: California Fires (0)  
Really?

Well, I wish you and all the people in the region in which you live good luck in being able to evade the flames or even escape them altogether.

10-26-2003 at 08:52 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
zex20913
Rank Points: 1723
Flame on. HAHA! I'm sorry if that sounds insensitive from me, but you wrote it. It's good to keep a smirk on in times of peril.

10-27-2003 at 03:37 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Mattcrampy
Rank Points: 2388
Fires. We get fires every few years - Canberra got toasted just last year, and it's only because I was down the coast that I wasn't cowering under the bed.

Matt

10-27-2003 at 03:57 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Oneiromancer
zex20913 wrote:
Flame on. HAHA! I'm sorry if that sounds insensitive from me, but you wrote it. It's good to keep a smirk on in times of peril.

:D

Yes, I was wondering if someone would catch that. After all, I only alter my tagline if it's entirely appropriate. And yes, I have been the calmest of all my housemates. In fact I played a good 3 hours of Everquest while everyone else was sitting in front of the TV. I had the radio on, so I was keeping up on things. One of the fronts is still about 5 miles from where I live, but it is the most stable front (at least at this time). I think we can go to bed without too much worry, but tomorrow the winds will probably pick up again, so then we need to be careful again. I'll probably go into work, but only because it's right up the street. The mayor basically told the entire city to stay home tomorrow to keep the roads clear. You see, the problem is, there's only one freeway now that people can get in or out of the city on, unless they go into Mexico. Several million people evacuating on one 4 lane highway is not a good thing.

Game on,

"He who is certain he knows the ending of things when he is only beginning them is either extremely wise or extremely foolish; no matter which is true, he is certainly an unhappy man, for he has put a knife in the heart of wonder." -- Tad Williams
10-27-2003 at 05:21 AM
Scott
Rank Points: 578
Hey what server do you play on? I am on Bristlebane.
10-27-2003 at 06:23 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Oneiromancer
I am on Povar. I got EQ Gold as a gift for Xmas last year, played for a bit, was vaguely interested but didn't want to put the time in, so I stopped before my month was up. But recently circumstances changed and I felt I had more free time at night, so I started playing again on Thursday. And I'm having a lot more fun this time around. Could have something to do with the simplifications, like the Find tool, the Cartography, and the journal option. My only real character is a 14 Ranger. Yeah, I know they suck, but I went with what I wanted to play at first.

Anyway, I was going to hop over to the European server...Kane Bayle...because I have a friend who plays on that one (he is American, just likes playing there because it is never crowded). I'm waiting for the next patch before I start new characters there though...hoping that they really will give all new characters 200 in Sense Heading, because I find having to build that skill up annoying. If I decide to try a third server I could look you up, I guess, but it seems like people don't play on too many servers, I could be wrong.

Game on,

10-27-2003 at 08:24 AM
Scott
Rank Points: 578
People pretty much play only 1 server in general. I have been playing on Bristlebane, its one of the original servers, since around July 1999. I have played several classes but currently playing a rogue and a wizard.

Rangers don't suck regardless of what people may tell you. Back 2 years ago they did but now they are great especially with endless quiver and archery mastery 3 although you are a fair way from that.

Your time zone and mine don't match so unless you play some wierd times we wouldn't be online at the same time.
10-28-2003 at 02:11 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
leroy00
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 155
Oneiromancer wrote:
Probably a lot of you have heard about the fires in Los Angeles, but something that hasn't been too well publicized is the fire that's starting to spread through San Diego. In fact, one front of the fire is about 10 miles from where I live, and we're watching the news with trepidation. It actually jumped interstate 15 and got even closer, but that part appeared to die off and now it is threatening another area. But we're packing up stuff in case we need to evacuate. Scary!

Anyway, just thought I'd let y'all know.

Flame on,

Heya Onei-

Just wanted to ask if you guys are still alive and surfing. The radio reports here (in Germany) make things sound pretty extreme. It seems one of the biggest problems is that there are a lot of dead, dried out trees that have been killed by some kind of bug (of the living, breathing sort, not the DROD sort). Maybe California should spend more money on forestry and less on fire-fighting? It could also save some lives, I suppose. This morning it was said that 20 people have died already. :( Hope everything is okay where you are.

leroy

10-30-2003 at 09:28 AM
Oneiromancer
Thanks for asking, leroy...while I and my family are fine of course the thousands of other people who lost their homes (or the 20 that lost their lives) are not. I have had to work at home for the last three days because the smoke has been so bad at work...the building we are in apparently has no filters on their air conditioning so it smells worse inside than outside! And it in fact smells bad enough to give me headaches, so I have to go home to work. But I'm not complaining!

There are certainly more things that could have been done to help prevent the fires, but there are many things that are done. Controlled burns and other fire prevention methods like that. But we've just been in a drought for the past three years, and although it rained pretty heavily this Spring it just made it worse for fires because of all the new growth among the old dead and dry stuff. And yeah, that bug thing makes the trees very dry and brittle and even more likely to burn.

Well, hopefully the fires will be contained and then put out soon. I know there are several small towns to the East of San Diego that have basically been wiped off the map. 90-100% destruction. We actually are pretty lucky in the city proper that it didn't spread any farther in.

Game on,

10-30-2003 at 04:16 PM
Oneiromancer
Here is a crazy picture of a freeway sign. This was not near me, but it was near my father, and I have seen this sign hundreds of times while driving in that area. Wild!

Game on,

10-31-2003 at 08:28 PM
Mattcrampy
Rank Points: 2388
From one extreme to the other...

Welcome to Australia, people.

Matt

11-02-2003 at 05:30 PM
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Other Boards : Anything : California Fires
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com