Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : Contests : Elemental Showcase (Our Contest for May)
Page 2 of 4
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
tokyokid
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 453
IP: Logged
icon Re: Elemental Showcase (0)  
Great idea, NiroZ. I think I will really enjoy making an entry for this, like Holds Al Dente.
05-05-2007 at 03:53 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Jatopian
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1842
Neather2 wrote:
understoont
Hey Neather2, I don't mean to be picky, but the correct English word is "understood". I wouldn't point it out but I've seen this particular mistranslation a few times. :yes

05-05-2007 at 04:58 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Neather2
Rank Points: 406
I Know, but i have forgotten for a time. Sorry.

Conspiracy, my new hold, has just been released.
05-06-2007 at 06:07 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
NiroZ
Rank Points: 1302
Updated the bit on number of puzzle rooms to read:
*Design a hold, which has 4 to 9 puzzle rooms. You may have infinite non-puzzle rooms and levels.
I just thought it would make things a bit clearer.
05-07-2007 at 11:39 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
NiroZ
I probably should also point out that you can say which element you chose in the hold ending in any way you wish. eg 'I had (element) for showcasing' or 'I hope you enjoyed my (element) hold'.
05-07-2007 at 01:21 PM
Doom
Rank Points: 3226
icon Re: Elemental Showcase (+1)  
I was going to enter. am still entering. My entry was is about 2/3 complete.

This morning my computer just didn't start. XP was corrupted. With no reason, error messages or crashes. Nothing. The OS was originally preinstalled and I only have a recovery disk that erases everything, and couldn't try the available fixes related to repairing from installation CD. Great.

EDIT: One corruption too many - editing this from currently CD-run Ubuntu. The best thing is, I don't need to start taking my hard disk to another computer in order to save the files I couldn't reach with the corrupted Windows.

[Last edited by Doom at 05-10-2007 07:36 PM : Linux for the win]
05-10-2007 at 06:21 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
techant
Rank Points: 854
:weep I have been there. So sorry for you. :weep

Amazing Contest Discription: The Rules for Hold Building!
Click here to view the secret text

[Last edited by techant at 10-22-2007 09:42 AM]
05-12-2007 at 03:52 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Chaco
Rank Points: 3624
Since there is /obviously obviously/ going to be a compilation for this one, I'd like to ask whether it's okay for me to submit a level of certain types of puzzles to this context, and then later use that level (plus perhaps a few other rooms) in a hold of mine.

05-13-2007 at 01:50 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
NiroZ
Go for it.
05-13-2007 at 02:31 AM
Pinnacle
Rank Points: 1129
Chaco wrote:
Since there is /obviously obviously/ going to be a compilation for this one, I'd like to ask whether it's okay for me to submit a level of certain types of puzzles to this context, and then later use that level (plus perhaps a few other rooms) in a hold of mine.

Well if there isn't a compilation, it is your fault :P

05-15-2007 at 11:42 PM
Chaco
Well, at least I can shift some of the blame to whomever actually decides to compile this.

I'm going to make a public service announcement: I will not decide to compile this on my own initiative, because I'm sure there are going to be a lot of elements, and I want to give somebody else a chance.

However, if NiroZ says I should do the compilation, for whatever fantastically well-founded reason he comes up with, then I will accept this duty and perform it with style and flair.

Also, on another note, my entry is in. I deliberately chose an element that people haven't been associating with "puzzles". And I made puzzles with them. Ahahahahaha. :crazy

05-16-2007 at 12:40 AM
Someone Else
Rank Points: 1300
icon Re: Elemental Showcase (+3)  
Chaco wrote:
I'm going to make a public service announcement: I will not decide to compile this on my own initiative, because I'm sure there are going to be a lot of elements, and I want to give someone else a chance.

No, I don't want to do it either.
05-16-2007 at 12:50 AM
Chaco
Aaaand the obligatory someone else joke.

Geez, sometimes I really wish somebody else would take this sort of thing as seriously as I do.

05-16-2007 at 02:16 AM
NiroZ
Speaking of compilations, it would be a very excellent idea to say if you want your hold in the (inevitable) compilation, saving me or whoever does it the bother of asking you later. :)
05-16-2007 at 03:07 AM
Chaco
I do not want my hold included in the compilation unless it places in the top 5. If it does, I'm pretty much obligated to let you put it in there, but otherwise I'd like to release the rooms with my currently-in-progress TCB hold.

05-16-2007 at 11:10 AM
roach strangler
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 57
How about 2 levels with 4 to 9 rooms. If not I'm almost done. :)
05-16-2007 at 03:35 PM
roach strangler
NiroZ wrote:

Aim
Prove the usefulness and puzzle potential of one element introduced in DROD: The City Beneath, with the exclusion of scripting. This does not mean that you shouldn't have scripting in your hold, but rather your element cannot be a scripting command, with the notable exception of builders.

So can the element talk though?
05-16-2007 at 05:25 PM
Jason
Rank Points: 1076
Yes. As NiroZ said in his first post, Scripting can be used, but not as an element. So, speech can be used, you just can't have speech be your element. ;)

05-16-2007 at 05:34 PM
Neathro
Rank Points: 41
3 puzzle rooms done :look :unsure :angry

05-16-2007 at 05:51 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
roach strangler
Meh! I sorta messed up... I put other elements in the hold... Should I just copy the rooms that I based one element on? I did 4 rooms on ????

[Last edited by roach strangler at 05-16-2007 06:38 PM]
05-16-2007 at 05:56 PM
Dex Stewart
Rank Points: 355
You may put other elements in your hold, as long as the main element is used and is base for the puzzle in every puzzle room. Keep in mind that this is my(unofficial) opinion, so you may want NiroZ to answer that.

BTW, you might want to take the element's name out of your post.

[Last edited by Dex Stewart at 05-16-2007 06:25 PM]
05-16-2007 at 06:23 PM
Neathro
Meh. I had to change mine from
...oh

05-16-2007 at 06:24 PM
Neathro
what do i do with it when i'm done?

EDIT:
Silly me...

[Last edited by Neathro at 05-16-2007 06:43 PM]
05-16-2007 at 06:41 PM
roach strangler
Umm this is kinda embarrassing... But how do you make an NPC hit an orb. :blush
05-16-2007 at 07:15 PM
roach strangler
Never mind I got it! :)
05-16-2007 at 07:17 PM
NiroZ
Dex Stewart wrote:
You may put other elements in your hold, as long as the main element is used and is base for the puzzle in every puzzle room.
Correct!
05-16-2007 at 11:51 PM
NoahT
Rank Points: 1133
Is it okay to use scripting in conjunction with the element we're showcasing (for instance, using a mimic NPC to trigger tokens, while it's the tokens being showcased)?

-Noah

My stuff:
Click here to view the secret text

[Last edited by NoahT at 05-18-2007 06:06 AM]
05-18-2007 at 05:48 AM
NiroZ
NoahT wrote:
Is it okay to use scripting in conjunction with the element we're showcasing (for instance, using a mimic NPC to trigger tokens, while the it's the tokens being showcased)?

-Noah
I'm afraid I'm going to have to leave that up your your digression, but as long as it's focusing on the element, you should be fine.
05-18-2007 at 05:52 AM
tokyokid
Rank Points: 453
Okay, I finally got my hold in. I am really looking forward to what other contestants have to offer in ways of new puzzles. Good luck, all! :)
05-18-2007 at 10:22 PM
roach strangler
Hey um do I just post my hold on the other topic? Because I did that.

[Last edited by roach strangler at 05-19-2007 05:59 PM]
05-19-2007 at 05:58 PM
Page 2 of 4
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : Contests : Elemental Showcase (Our Contest for May)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com