Announcement: Please read the Rules Topic for some general rules and etiquette before using the Hints and Solutions system.

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Hints and Solutions : Skipping rooms
Get Help for a Room Post Reply
Poster Message
NightTwister
Level: Roachling
Rank Points: 10
IP: Logged
icon Skipping rooms (0)  
Is there a was to conquer a room with a single press key on your keyboard

10-18-2003 at 10:51 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Oneiromancer
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2936
icon Re: Skipping rooms (0)  
Nope, no cheats, sorry! Just ask us about the room you're having trouble with, we'll be happy to try to help you.

Game on,

"He who is certain he knows the ending of things when he is only beginning them is either extremely wise or extremely foolish; no matter which is true, he is certainly an unhappy man, for he has put a knife in the heart of wonder." -- Tad Williams
10-18-2003 at 11:26 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
mrimer
Rank Points: 5058
Luckily, there is a way to solve a room with 327 keypresses :D (Yeah, this is kinda trollish...I know.)

And I come back to you now at the turn of the tide.
10-19-2003 at 02:51 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Mattcrampy
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2388
Don't worry, we'll let it slide.

For future reference, trolling is something like 'you're an idiot. Go back and play your Crash Bandicoot, loser' which no-one here will participate in upon threat of death. We're nice.

There were cheats in the beta versions of 1.6, but they got removed as we crept closer to release. It's a philosophical thing - what's the point of a puzzle game if you can cheat? It's not like you need physical skill.

Well, okay, you need a bit. But not much.

Matt

10-19-2003 at 10:03 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
eytanz
Rank Points: 2708
mrimer wrote:
Luckily, there is a way to solve a room with 327 keypresses :D (Yeah, this is kinda trollish...I know.)

Obligatory challenge - solve every room in Dugan's Dungeon in exactly 327 moves.

10-19-2003 at 06:02 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Mattcrampy
That's a LOT of waiting.

More interestingly, which room on average takes the MOST moves?

Matt

10-19-2003 at 06:07 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
eytanz
Rank Points: 2708
For most rooms, that would be a lot of waiting. I'm just wondering if there are any rooms where more moves are actually required.

10-19-2003 at 06:34 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
zex20913
Rank Points: 1723
I'm sure that some of the level 12 rooms take more than 327. IE, L12 1S 1E. Or 1N 1E. Mandatory more than 327 moves I believe.

10-20-2003 at 07:00 AM
mrimer
That sounds like an interesting question/challenge/puzzle:

Find the room in Dugan's Dungeon that takes the most fewest moves

i.e., find the room that, solving it in the fewest number of moves possible, still takes more moves than any other room to conquer.

10-20-2003 at 03:44 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
mrimer
zex20913 wrote:
I'm sure that some of the level 12 rooms take more than 327. i.e., L12 1S 1E. Or 1N 1E. Mandatory more than 327 moves I believe.
Yikes, I checked my imported demos from the first time I played these rooms in 1.5 and it says I took 1788 and 1211 moves (respectively) to solve these two rooms. So I'll have to believe you're right. Do we have a candidate for the longest room?

10-20-2003 at 03:49 PM
StuartK
Rank Points: 564
mrimer wrote:
zex20913 wrote:
I'm sure that some of the level 12 rooms take more than 327. i.e., L12 1S 1E. Or 1N 1E. Mandatory more than 327 moves I believe.
Yikes, I checked my imported demos from the first time I played these rooms in 1.5 and it says I took 1788 and 1211 moves (respectively) to solve these two rooms. So I'll have to believe you're right. Do we have a candidate for the longest room?

1401 for 1S1E & 1229 for 1N1E.

Click here to view the secret text

I've found a bunch of other rooms over the 300-odd (first is on the first level) One of my longest demos is for L21, 1W (1483) but I've not played that recently.

It'd be cool if someone with lots of spare time maintained a page with best times for each room. I got alot of kicks finding the very fastest solution for L14,1N1E, and then damn me I deleted the dats without exporting the player :~) Best with the current build so far is 226 - the best I achieved, as I remember, was 223.

There are lots of similar challenges on the tar levels, and certain of the roach queen levels (try to kill a roach every turn, advancing as quickly as possible) and a sprinkling elsewhere. Getting the best time for L22 1W is a huge challenge, and there are a bunch of L21 rooms which are tough to complete efficiently.
10-20-2003 at 06:41 PM
Mattcrampy
Why don't we just keep demos of the best times and moves for each room (past level 1) on DROD.net? We've got space up the wazoo, according to Erik, we've got Webfoot demos but no Caravel ones and we can have a world highscore table. All plusses.

Matt

10-21-2003 at 08:17 AM
Oneiromancer
Man, that will suck, being in charge of updating the demos...every time someone beats the time by one measly move you're going to have to load up the demo, check it out, then update the website...how annoying! Perhaps it could be automated to actually read the demo as it is submitted? But that would probably take more work than it is worth.

Game on,

"He who is certain he knows the ending of things when he is only beginning them is either extremely wise or extremely foolish; no matter which is true, he is certainly an unhappy man, for he has put a knife in the heart of wonder." -- Tad Williams
10-21-2003 at 08:30 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Schik
Rank Points: 5383
Oneiromancer wrote:
Man, that will suck, being in charge of updating the demos...every time someone beats the time by one measly move you're going to have to load up the demo, check it out, then update the website...how annoying! Perhaps it could be automated to actually read the demo as it is submitted? But that would probably take more work than it is worth.
It wouldn't actually be that hard. I've thought a lot about this in the past, and have written some PHP to take an uploaded hold/demo/player/whatever, decode it, and get some statistics on it. Counting moves and keeping them in a database wouldn't be that hard. What would be hard (but man, I'd love to do it) is to have the demos actually replay over the web. :)

10-21-2003 at 05:35 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
zex20913
Why not go for it? It sounds like an interesting thing to keep us tided over until 1.7 starts going full blast.

10-21-2003 at 07:07 PM
Oneiromancer
What, you mean besides all the user-made holds? Well, hopefully there will be many more, but...

Game on,

10-21-2003 at 07:14 PM
Schik
zex20913 wrote:
Why not go for it? It sounds like an interesting thing to keep us tided over until 1.7 starts going full blast.
1.7 IS going full blast. Okay, at least 70% blast.

I will do a "best times" type of database - that sounds really fun - but I'm going to pass on the online replay of demos for now. Only user commands are recorded, so that would require recreating all monster logic in PHP.

10-21-2003 at 08:07 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
zex20913
Wow. You guys don't quit, do you?

10-21-2003 at 11:56 PM
Mattcrampy
I can't see it as being too much of a problem, loading up DROD, checking out a demo, then if it's good updating the website. Okay, there's a lot of rooms, but it honestly doesn't sound too bad from here once it's set up. Before then, of course, it'd be a nightmare, an utter goddamn nightmare, but after that it wouldn't be so bad.

Matt

10-22-2003 at 04:04 AM
Schik
Hmmm... I guess I wasn't clear. The idea will be that the user uploads their demo file (or their player file), and some code I write will parse the demos, find out which rooms they're for, count # of moves, and update the database if any of the demos are faster than what's already recorded. All while you're taking a nap.

10-22-2003 at 04:12 AM
Mattcrampy
Hurrah!

But I don't mind doing it by hand. You've got enough on your plate whereas I have relatively little, but maybe that's just from my point of view.

Matt

10-22-2003 at 04:42 AM
Schik
But then I'd be passing up a great chance to put this new server and it's up-to-date software to use! I'd hate to pass it up after all this trouble to get the new server working.

And it's a fun challenge for me... I wouldn't be doing it otherwise. And hey... I was productive on drod 1.7 today, finishing up my new monster (still needs more testing and perhaps tweaking), so it's the forum/site's turn for some biggish new feature, and this is it.

10-22-2003 at 04:48 AM
DiMono
Rank Points: 1181
If I had money, I'd be all over buying 1.7 when it's released to stores. As it is, I just get to look forward to screenshots posted in the forums. Ah well, guess I'd better hope my column gets me work somewhere :D

10-26-2003 at 07:20 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Get Help for a Room Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Hints and Solutions : Skipping rooms
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com