Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : The Site : Unsure if it's the site or FireFox. (quotes.)
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
zex20913
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1723
IP: Logged
icon Unsure if it's the site or FireFox. (0)  
When viewing a thread beginning with "" marks, the FireFox tab displays "& q u o t" squished together, instead of just " " ".

I thought it deserved a mention.

[Last edited by zex20913 at 04-26-2007 12:36 PM : Didn't even notice the change, 'til mentioned later.]
04-26-2007 at 12:55 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
NiroZ
Rank Points: 1302
icon Re: Unsure if it's the site or FireFox. (0)  
Well in firefox, this thread is called "Medicore&... in the browsers title.
04-26-2007 at 04:36 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
TripleM
Rank Points: 1373
I don't think thats a site-specific bug, its more of a general internet problem.
A little googling told me:
Even when the text of a document is correctly displayed, its title, if it contains encoding-specific characters, may appear broken in the window title bar (apparently because the font used in window title bars is determined by the operating system, which may be completely unaware of the encoding of the document).

(thus it happens in IE too).

[Last edited by TripleM at 04-26-2007 04:46 AM]
04-26-2007 at 04:43 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Kevin_P86
Rank Points: 535
TripleM wrote:
I don't think thats a site-specific bug, its more of a general internet problem.
A little googling told me:
Even when the text of a document is correctly displayed, its title, if it contains encoding-specific characters, may appear broken in the window title bar (apparently because the font used in window title bars is determined by the operating system, which may be completely unaware of the encoding of the document).

(thus it happens in IE too).
Indeed - the title of that thread in IE (at least for me) is displayed with everyone's favourite """ in place of an actual quote... :)

[Last edited by Kevin_P86 at 04-26-2007 07:23 AM]
04-26-2007 at 05:30 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
TripleM
Rank Points: 1373
Oh, so now I get it. So, everybody, typing '& q u o t' into your post will actually write a quote. No wonder it took me a while to work out what Zex was talking about..
04-26-2007 at 05:41 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Kevin_P86
Rank Points: 535
TripleM wrote:
Oh, so now I get it. So, everybody, typing '& q u o t' into your post will actually write a quote. No wonder it took me a while to work out what Zex was talking about..
Haha - yes. I even typed that too, and didn't notice that it changed it for me...!

04-26-2007 at 07:23 AM
Briareos
Rank Points: 3516
Kevin_P86 wrote:
TripleM wrote:
Haha - yes. I even typed that too, and didn't notice that it changed it for me...!
You might want to write that as &amp;quot; to get it to actually show &quot;... ;)

Oh, and after previewing be sure to hit your browser's back button, as you'll get an extra level of escaping removed every time you hit preview... :D

EDIT: Also, editing is tricky... :P

[Last edited by Briareos at 04-26-2007 08:35 AM]
04-26-2007 at 08:35 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : The Site : Unsure if it's the site or FireFox. (quotes.)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com