Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : Development : Other clients for the TCB chat
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
Alneyan
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 622
IP: Logged
icon Other clients for the TCB chat (0)  
Some people have wondered about the possibility of having a standalone chat client, in addition to the current one embedded in TCB. I know I might give it a stab, so I'd like to know Caravel's stance on the matter.

1) Would Caravel look favourably to a standalone client wholly separate from TCB? I think the link between chat and CaravelNet (especially authentification) could be a problem here.

2) Are there plans to develop a basic 'in-browser" interface to the chat? (Where 'basic' is defined as 'handles the HTTP requests and does some Spartan display')

[Last edited by Alneyan at 04-19-2007 04:28 PM]
04-19-2007 at 04:28 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Briareos
Rank Points: 3516
icon Re: Other clients for the TCB chat (0)  
Alneyan wrote:
2) Are there plans to develop a basic 'in-browser" interface to the chat? (Where 'basic' is defined as 'handles the HTTP requests and does some Spartan display')
Well, that one is basically already there for us HA's to chat with hold authors that submitted their hold and vice versa...

np: Radiohead - My Iron Lung (Live at Bayside Embarcadero, San Diego CA (27.06.2006))

04-19-2007 at 05:57 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
starwed
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 49
Does the chat use a standard protocol like Jabber? If so, even if it involves some special authentication, it shouldn't be hard to get a stand-alone client going.

I haven't had a chance to use the chat at all yet, since I don't have an internet connection at home. T.T
04-19-2007 at 09:28 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Alneyan
Rank Points: 622
starwed wrote:
Does the chat use a standard protocol like Jabber?

The chat uses home-made HTTP requests, hence my second point. Perhaps it would be possible to wrap the chat around Jabber, though; I don't know the specifics of Jabber very well.

As far as actual code goes, tcpdump doesn't show anything arcane going on, but I'd want Caravel's agreement before starting the 'reverse-engineering' thing. On the Caravel side of things, Schik might consider 2) - or at least, he didn't yell 'over my dead body'.
04-19-2007 at 09:35 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Schik
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 5381
icon Re: Other clients for the TCB chat (+1)  
I'm pretty sure I'll make a chat client on the site here. Some people seem to want it, and I'm even one of them. This goes on my probably-will-do list.

04-19-2007 at 10:05 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : Development : Other clients for the TCB chat
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com