Announcement: Remember: you are giving away your fantastic ideas for free, and somebody else might even make money from them (or appear to). That's just how the world works! If you're worried about it, maybe you shouldn't post your ideas here.

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Feature Requests : Player Role, and Tarstuff (A terrifying idea.)
Page 1 of 2
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
Banjooie
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1645
IP: Logged
icon Player Role, and Tarstuff (0)  
I don't think anyone's hideously abused player role and tarbabies yet, so I present to you an /idea/.

I don't know how to make it obvious and clear that it is possible, but tar babies should be able to sort of swim through tar. Imagine for instance a puzzle where you are a tar baby. You have to do your tar baby eating roaches thing, but as a tar baby you cannot go through mud. So you have to either become a mud baby through some sort of scripting, or hit a tar/mud switch and turn the mud into tar.

I mean, I know real tarbabies do it, but real tarbabies are also /stupid/. Also, it'd be neat and give player role a few more possibilities.
04-17-2007 at 08:52 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
stigant
Rank Points: 1182
icon Re: Player Role, and Tarstuff (0)  
Actually, I had a similar idea for a new snake variant: Tar snakes (which have been mentioned other places with other characteristics) could swim through tar, and eat tar babies and tar mothers.

04-17-2007 at 04:46 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Doom
Rank Points: 3261
icon Re: Player Role, and Tarstuff (+1)  
stigant wrote:
Actually, I had a similar idea for a new snake variant: Tar snakes (which have been mentioned other places with other characteristics) could swim through tar, and eat tar babies and tar mothers.
Well, we sort of got that one already.
Banjooie wrote:
...but as a tar baby you cannot go through mud. So you have to either become a mud baby through some sort of scripting, or hit a tar/mud switch and turn the mud into tar.
Umm.. you didn't think this through, did you?
04-17-2007 at 05:14 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
stigant
Rank Points: 1182
Well, we sort of got that one already
Sure, we have the eating thing, but not the "swimming through" thing. Tar snakes wouldn't damage the stable tar, they would just move through it.

[Last edited by stigant at 04-17-2007 06:16 PM]
04-17-2007 at 05:42 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Doom
Rank Points: 3261
Gel is a whole different story, though. Since no serpent can move diagonally into an inner corner, adders will always be able to eat any piece of any gel blob.
04-17-2007 at 06:03 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Banjooie
Doom wrote:
Banjooie wrote:
...but as a tar baby you cannot go through mud. So you have to either become a mud baby through some sort of scripting, or hit a tar/mud switch and turn the mud into tar.
Umm.. you didn't think this through, did you?

Oh. I see what you did there.

Actually, this further adds puzzle potential: Use like, gel/mud, tar/gel, tar/mud, etc, to switch muds and your baby around to squeeze through them.

See?
04-17-2007 at 10:29 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Jatopian
Rank Points: 1842
Having babies swim through tarstuff is room-breaking in the extreme.

04-17-2007 at 11:20 PM
Banjooie
No. Having /non player role/ tarbabies doing it is roombreaking.

I'm saying this should only apply to player role *babies.
04-17-2007 at 11:34 PM
Jatopian
Banjooie wrote:
I'm saying this should only apply to player role *babies.
But that's flawed and inconsistent!

04-17-2007 at 11:42 PM
Someone Else
Rank Points: 2334
Why do I wonder whether Banjooie is trying to get us all to argue for some unknown reason of his own?
04-17-2007 at 11:52 PM
BDR
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 106
What, you think Banjooie has some kind of conspiracy against us going on or something? -_-
04-18-2007 at 12:55 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
mrimer
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 5106
BDR wrote:
What, you think Banjooie has some kind of conspiracy against us going on or something? -_-
Yes. A one-man conspiracy.

And I come back to you now at the turn of the tide.
04-18-2007 at 01:08 AM
Beef Row
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 471
icon Re: Player Role, and Tarstuff (+1)  
mrimer wrote:
BDR wrote:

Unless its a one-woman conspiracy?

04-18-2007 at 01:21 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
zonhin
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 99
Nope, no conspiracy here. Move along citizens.

PS: I do not work for the government.

Till time went and told me to say hello but wave goodbye
04-18-2007 at 05:51 AM
NiroZ
Rank Points: 1302
Someone Else wrote:
Why do I wonder whether Banjooie is trying to get us all to argue for some unknown reason of his own?
You mean, this wasn't a joke?

Oh...
04-18-2007 at 08:22 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Banjooie
For the record, it is you people who started wondering about my gender, I'm simply allowing you to keep debating that one.

Also, re: flawed inconsistency.

I think it's also notable that player role aumtlichs cannot in fact charge their lasers.

04-18-2007 at 08:32 AM
Jatopian
Banjooie wrote:
I think it's also notable that player role aumtlichs cannot in fact charge their lasers.
I demand this be changed.

04-18-2007 at 09:32 PM
Mattcrampy
Rank Points: 2388
Beef Row wrote:
mrimer wrote:

Unless its a one-woman conspiracy?

Last time this came up, I intimated that this is probably a debate to steer around, so I'm going to be a tad more blunt: Banjooie refers to himself as male here, so we should probably take it at face value.

I mean, pretending to be male if you're female? On the internet, with no other evidence? In a forum that's usually willing to take you at your word and just wants to avoid the awkward moments at DRODCon 'XX where everyone turns out to be 35, balding and in their boxers (as it were)? Lamest. Prank. Ever.

Also, from the links that turned up last time this discussion was raised, I'm guessing Banj has his reasons to dodge the question. They may range from 'I think it's funny' to 'I want to avoid being pestered' to more atypical reasons like 'I'm taking pills for it'. I shan't elaborate, you can Google it.

Google 'Banjo-Kazooie' while you're there. It's pretty good, even with Rare trying to patent the collect-a-thon genre with it.

Of course, this is why dodging the question is such a problem, because then people start coming up with wild fantasies like Banj's gender is determined by what temperature of water he was splashed with last or that Banj went into surgery a few years ago or all sorts of things. Not that saying you're female here doesn't come with its own set of problems, although it appears to help if you're Scottish.

Regarding the suggestion: I'm not sure it's a good idea to give a creature an ability they can only use as a player character. It's probably more heinous than giving player characters super abilities when they're bosses fighting your party in that there's no way for the player to know they can swim through beforehand.

04-19-2007 at 02:20 PM
NiroZ
Rank Points: 1302
Mattcrampy wrote:
Regarding the suggestion: I'm not sure it's a good idea to give a creature an ability they can only use as a player character. It's probably more heinous than giving player characters super abilities when they're bosses fighting your party in that there's no way for the player to know they can swim through beforehand.
I'm glad somebody agree's.
I must say I got a kick out of this thread imagining Banjooie's response if he hadn't actually made this topic.
04-19-2007 at 05:06 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
starwed
Rank Points: 49
Now, it would be nice if player-role:tarbaby granted immunity to hot tiles.
04-19-2007 at 07:27 PM
Ravon
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 220
And if "Player Role: Wraithwing" didn't activate pressure plates...
04-19-2007 at 11:50 PM
Jatopian
And if player-role:aumtlich gave you a beam...
...yeah, mrimer should fix these things. For flawless consistency. And that's no joke. :|

04-20-2007 at 12:47 AM
coppro
Rank Points: 1309
Jatopian wrote:
And if player-role:aumtlich gave you a beam...
...yeah, mrimer should fix these things. For flawless consistency. And that's no joke. :|
I think the solution to the player-role:aumtlich w/ a beam thing is simple. The player gets a beam, which behaves in all other respects like a regular aumtlich beam. So it doesn't paralyze monsters, but it can be reflected back to paralyze you.

EDIT: Actually, that could make some good puzlz

[Last edited by coppro at 04-20-2007 12:50 AM]
04-20-2007 at 12:50 AM
View Profile Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Chaco
Rank Points: 3640
Well, you'd also need to be able to strafe (i.e. move without turning) in order for that to work properly. But yes, aumtlich-beam-reflection puzzles would work now. You'd have to, say, make mirrors fall off that otherwise would freeze you.

04-20-2007 at 12:56 AM
Ezlo
Rank Points: 1224
But it freezes you when you play as a monster!
04-20-2007 at 12:57 AM
coppro
Rank Points: 1309
Ezlo wrote:
That's the point. Puzzle potential.
04-20-2007 at 02:03 AM
View Profile Show all user's posts Quote Reply
starwed
Rank Points: 49
Only once you've been identified as an enemy.
Click here to view the secret text

[Last edited by starwed at 04-20-2007 02:19 AM]
04-20-2007 at 02:19 AM
Ezlo
Rank Points: 1224
Yeah, I was alluding to that, but I didn't want to spoil anything.
04-20-2007 at 02:38 AM
Maurog
Rank Points: 1501
Is it only me, or the idea of playing as an aumtlich with a working paralyze beam is incredibly cool?

04-20-2007 at 04:09 PM
Jason
Rank Points: 1076
Ray Guns!

:spamlaser

They are, um, immobilizing...

<ducks>

04-20-2007 at 04:50 PM
Page 1 of 2
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Feature Requests : Player Role, and Tarstuff (A terrifying idea.)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com