Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : General : What other games would you like to see? (What would you like to see if CaravelGames ever makes a game other than DROD)
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
Ezlo
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1214
IP: Logged
icon What other games would you like to see? (0)  
I would love it if Caravel spread it's wings a little and made a game other than a DROD related one. So let's say they did, they are no longer conformed by the laws of DROD, they can have imperfect info, they can do something other than "Guy with Big Sword kills things," they can start out with a whole new system.

I, for one, would love to see a game like the one Erik was calling Beneath, back in the webfoot days.

So, what would you like to see? What would be going to far? Would you buy anything other than a DROD game?
04-12-2007 at 03:46 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
christine83
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 158
icon Re: What other games would you like to see? (0)  
Hmm, I'd love for them to make an addictive game which doesn't take much brainpower. Just to relax when you get home from a hard day at work/school. Say like a new tetris, pacman, marble madness.. (not the same concept of course!)

Secretly I'm still hoping for a game creator to write a cooperative puzzle or adventure game. Where you have to work together to make it work. Like one person presses a switch or opens a door while the other get's through it to do another thing. Playable over the internet with my friends all over the world.. but well, it's just a dream!

#1 Fan!
Click here to view the secret text

04-12-2007 at 03:56 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Ezlo
Rank Points: 1214
That second one is one I would definitely want to see. A mutiplayer co-op puzzle game is something I don't think has been done before.
04-12-2007 at 04:01 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
NiroZ
Rank Points: 1302
Ezlo wrote:
That second one is one I would definitely want to see. A mutiplayer co-op puzzle game is something I don't think has been done before.
I remember seeing my brother playing a MMO called Graal, which is kind of like what your describing.
04-12-2007 at 05:44 AM
Banjooie
Rank Points: 1645
Graal was never anything like that. At all.

EVER.

04-12-2007 at 06:03 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
lakibuk
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 93
Anything with gameplay that is as substantial as DROD.
I wonder if it will be possible for Erik & Co. to come up with something of that quality. Or if DROD is a one-hit wonder, like Tetris is to his inventor (he didn't come with any other brilliant games, right?). One masterpiece is enough in one man's life though.

04-12-2007 at 08:59 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
NekoIncardine
Rank Points: 127
1) For some reason, I think that if he seriously wanted to, Erik could make excellent visual novel games. I'd love to see the results of that.

2) Using the DROD license in creative ways: DROD Smiter's Battel. A mix of DROD and a Collectible Card Game, where smiters are placed on a shared table and use the different cards available to them to try and 'remove' one another from play. This worked very well with Metal Gear Acid for that franchise, and I'm sure there's ways to speed the pace up for a DROD game based on the same vein.

3) More awesome indie games by others that Caravel wants to show off. Eets was awesome.

04-12-2007 at 09:38 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Banjooie
Rank Points: 1645
Actually, I have to admit I wouldn't mind if there were games set in the Eighth that weren't DROD. It's such an interesting theme, it would suck to completely avoid it.
04-12-2007 at 09:46 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Alneyan
Rank Points: 622
The Incredible Machine, reloaded. That's all. Period.

Well, I'd settle for a MMORPG that actually goes beyond the levelling grind.
04-12-2007 at 10:41 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Krissan
Rank Points: 89
DROD as a massive multiplayer co-op game would be awesome. It's already online and we DO help each other out, but helping each other out in-hold would be sweet too.

Otherwise, I'd like to see a tactical combat game like Jagged Alliance, perhaps in the Eighth.

04-12-2007 at 10:49 AM
jdyer
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 330
If any of you are familiar with the new Puzzle Quest puzzle/rpg for PSP and DS...

Something like that. But with a better puzzle or puzzles as the fighting mechanic.
04-12-2007 at 02:39 PM
skell
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 3734
Action RPG DROD. Something like mix of Smash TV, rogelike and DROD (I could even make something like this, but first I'd have to finish my engine for my Metroid Recreation). And I don't mean DRODer.

A DROD game in pseudo realtime. Anyone Played TOME Net, and Online rogulike game? Well, there every specified amount of time everyone takes move. THen it should be something like that:

Let's say, that every second consists of 45 steps (FPS - I think such amount would be fitting). So every step is one fourtyfifth of a second, which in other words is 0.02222... of the second. So after every step, actions happen.
And every monster has its speed, like Roach has speed 10, so every 10 steps it moves. Or wubba has speed 50, so every 50 steps it moves. Player speed could oscilate somewhere around 6, with possibility of being slowed down, or speeded up. YOu could hit enemies by either Bashing them (Trying to move on the square they stand) cutting (Turning the sword on their square, or moving so the sword will enter their tile) stabbing (When your sword occupies enemy square, and you either try to bash on other enemy, or don't move - trying to bash the enemy where your sword lies would result in attack from over head, which deals bigger damage but is easier to avoid), and of course more ^^. The enemies would attack you in the same way, by either trying to "bash" you (monsters with claws would cut you, people with sword will only bash) or stabbing with their sword.
And N0 T3H PU553L5!!!!111. And rather some kind of arcade game, like roguelikes - no big story, no big quests, just walking around the dungeon, for thinkless fun.

That's it. I have another idea to realize in near future... Hmm, it will be third part in Kulkises Saga :D.

[Last edited by skell at 01-29-2012 08:24 PM : Going to the keep]
04-12-2007 at 03:43 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
stigant
Rank Points: 1182
Alneyan wrote:
Well, I'd settle for a MMORPG that actually goes beyond the levelling grind.

I thought Puzzle Pirates was a good step in that direction. Sure it wasn't perfect, but it rewarded RL improvement in skills (in otherwords, if you start out being good at a particular game, then your character doesn't have to spend time just to catch up to your skills) rather than a set advancement rate like other experience based systems.

Whatever the next new game is, I hope it rewards strategic as well as tactical play. I think that what I like the most about DROD is that there's a certain skill in slogging your way through a room. You don't (usually) have to be mitchthroian in your efficiency to get to the end. And the more you play, the more you develop your own techniques for handling different situation. DROD is artistic as well as scientific. Its a great mix, and I hope that the next games from Caravel will learn from that and extend it to a new genre.

[Last edited by stigant at 04-12-2007 06:37 PM]
04-12-2007 at 06:22 PM
Yellow_Mage
Rank Points: 267
3D first person rpg, like Elder Scrolls with a similar graphics engine, set to the world of the Eigth. Whould be totally awesome hacking those shiny beetles to kibble, doing cellar clearance quests (better than rat bashing), and probably might be possible to get charisma as a primary skill. I dunno, Beethro doesn't seem so good at it.

Now realistically, games I would like to see would probably be a co-op or deathmatch DROD (probably be like an rpg, but action orientated with puzzle of course, but it wouldn't be turn based).

[strike]A side scrolling beat em up game featuring characters from DROD.[/strike]

A new 3D logic puzzle. Or isometric. Opportunity to create a whole new universe...

Click here to view the secret text

04-13-2007 at 01:25 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Thy Dungeonman
Rank Points: 32
jdyer wrote:
If any of you are familiar with the new Puzzle Quest puzzle/rpg for PSP and DS...

Something like that. But with a better puzzle or puzzles as the fighting mechanic.

this. And the battles don't even have to be such obvious puzzles.

RPG battle systems allow for a lot of leeway in the game play. There's all sorts of things you can do to make a turn based RPG battle to make them increbly strategic and puzzle like, they just haven't been tried.
04-13-2007 at 09:14 PM
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : General : What other games would you like to see? (What would you like to see if CaravelGames ever makes a game other than DROD)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com