Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : General : Upgrading to the full version (of TCB)
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
Insane
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 154
IP: Logged
icon Upgrading to the full version (0)  
Hey,

when I have the full version of TCB, can I just copy the four .dat files of the demo and still have all my configurations/players/holds?
Will overwriting the full version dat files still use all the full version features or will it delete all the styles etc.?

-Insane
04-11-2007 at 05:47 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
silver
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 915
icon Re: Upgrading to the full version (+1)  
no. that will be completely broken in terms of your TCB progress (I did this, and it was really strange. couldn't restore to rooms I had been in, had my player start in illegal coordinates in some rooms - even some rooms I had never heard of)

export your player, and import it into TCB full.

[Last edited by silver at 04-11-2007 05:56 PM]
04-11-2007 at 05:49 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Elfstone
Rank Points: 1285
icon Re: Upgrading to the full version (0)  
I now have the full version of TCB and would like to install it in such a way that I keep the progress from the Demo and the handful of new TCB holds that I have worked through.

I have read the above posts, but I'm still very uncertain as to exactly what to do and I am very anxious to avoid doing anything which might cause me to lose everything in DROD. (been there, done that; definitely would NOT recommend it!)

Could some kind soul please give me clear, simple instructions? (for a Mac OS 10.4) Thanks.

04-16-2007 at 08:42 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Yellow_Mage
Rank Points: 267
icon Re: Upgrading to the full version (+2)  
Go to Change Player (from the main menu) > Click Export > save.
This is will create a .player file. Also Export saves seperately as well as any progress from other hold will be lost (as far as I understand it) until you import those holds seperately into TCB.

For holds, while you're in the editor, click Manage.
Select the hold(s) you wish to save, then click Export > save.
This makes a .hold file.

The alternative would be going to Play Game > Change Location > and this menu would be familiar to you.

To import - you just need to put those files into the Homemade directory [default location - .../DROD - The City Beneath/Data/Homemade/] (it may select a previous version of DROD Homemade directory or another directory if you made one like I did)

When you install DROD:TCB and start it for the very first time it will tell you the make a new character or import one. Press import. Select the player file.

Importing holds along the same lines as exporting. When you've imported all the holds you want then you can import the player saves so you can continue your progress.

Click here to view the secret text

[Last edited by Yellow_Mage at 04-16-2007 09:12 PM]
04-16-2007 at 09:01 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Elfstone
Rank Points: 1285
My thanks to you Mage, but I can't find the Directory you're speaking about, in fact I can't find any Directory. Is that not a PC thing?

04-16-2007 at 09:39 PM
Alneyan
Rank Points: 622
Elfstone wrote:
My thanks to you Mage, but I can't find the Directory you're speaking about, in fact I can't find any Directory. Is that not a PC thing?

Directories are also called folders, if you prefer, or perhaps 'portfolios' if you wish to carry the metaphor further. Any computer you're likely to touch has them around.

The specific Homemade folder may be in another location, though, but it shouldn't matter in this case. Feel free to pick any arbitrary folder to export your files, including the default one, or any folder you particularly enjoy.
04-16-2007 at 09:51 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
coppro
Rank Points: 1308
The default Homemade folder is usually .caravel/drod-3_0(-demo)/Homemade
04-16-2007 at 11:12 PM
View Profile Show all user's posts Quote Reply
BeefontheBone
Rank Points: 184
icon Re: Upgrading to the full version (+1)  
You get to navigate to their location when you import them, so where you put them is only really a question of tidiness and convenience.

04-17-2007 at 07:41 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : General : Upgrading to the full version (of TCB)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com