Announcement: Please read the Rules Topic for some general rules and etiquette before using the Hints and Solutions system.

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Hints and Solutions : Noooooo
Get Help for a Room Post Reply
Poster Message
DML1001
Level: Goblin
Rank Points: 16
IP: Logged
icon Noooooo (0)  
I was stuck in L14 once north, once east. I was looking around this forum, and I found a thread with a demo to download. I had an older version of the game that couldnt import or export demos, so I downloaded a new copy of the game.

Anyway, I ran the install, installed the game on top of my old copy (I assumed that it would just leave the ini files and saves alone), and now all my progress is gone!

Is there any way to get back my old save files? DROD was fun, but I don't exactly want to replay 14 levels again just to get back to where i was before :(
10-06-2003 at 05:42 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
krammer
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 904
icon Re: Noooooo (0)  
What version were you running previously?

If it was the version by Webfoot, you're probably stuck. While the two versions look identical, Caravel was written from scratch and the coding is completely different.

However, if you still have all the save files (called slot0.sav or similar) you can re-install Webfoot DROD and copy these .sav files to the new Webfoot installation. Note you cannot transfer from webfoot to Caravel, although I strongly recommend using Caravel as it is superior in many ways.

If you had Caravel 1.5 and have now installed the almost finished beta of DROD 1.6 (Architect's edition), then... well you're almost stuffed here. But again there is a way out:

Locate the file drod1_5.dat in the drod/data directory. This contains you're player data and so if this has gone, sorry, again you're stuck.

If it's still there, delete the new version you just installed. That's right, and make sure that your DROD1.5 is still in the SAME folder it was in when you installed that version. Now install DROD 1.6 to a new folder. When you run this, it should detect the old installation and ask if you want to update this version with your old information.

If you really are stuck, sorry, but it's always easier second time through - honest... :)

"Oook!"
10-06-2003 at 05:54 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
squeekie
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 140
icon Re: Noooooo (0)  
Maybe someone on level 14 will send you their data file. Good luck.

10-07-2003 at 02:47 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Get Help for a Room Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Hints and Solutions : Noooooo
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com