Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Other Boards : Anything : Vista Graphical (Mod)
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
Insane
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 154
IP: Logged
icon Vista Graphical (0)  
Woohoo!

I just installed a Windows Vista Graphical mod for XP.
It's sleek!

So yeah, I wanted to collect opinions about Windows Vista, and the Windows Vista graphical theme.

-Insane
04-09-2007 at 04:38 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
MeckMeck GRE
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 594
icon Re: Vista Graphical (0)  
I tested a vista-graphic mod too... it looks good. But I'm rather fond of simple desktops. So before I would make my XP looking like Vista, I would make my XP looking like 2k.
04-09-2007 at 05:37 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Insane
MeckMeck GRE wrote:
I tested a vista-graphic mod too... it looks good. But I'm rather fond of simple desktops. So before I would make my XP looking like Vista, I would make my XP looking like 2k.

That's what I had before, although this is very interesting too.

-Insane
04-09-2007 at 06:02 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Pilchard VIII
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 392
Wow, so how did you add the XP mod for Vista? What program, if any, did you use?

04-09-2007 at 06:11 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Insane
icon Re: Vista Graphical (-1)  
I can send you the pack. Not sure if it's legal, though.

-Insane
04-09-2007 at 06:16 PM
eytanz
Rank Points: 2708
I have Windows Vista on my new laptop, which I got for the simple reason that it's what shipped with the laptop. Other than a few minor annoyances (my scanner doesn't have a Vista-compatible driver, so I need to keep using it on my old computer), and the graphical interface which is kinda cool, I can't see much of a difference over XP (it does have good support for my laptop's tablet functionality including handwriting recognition that is really quite good, but I've never used a tablet that ran XP so I can't compare).

Eytan

04-09-2007 at 06:23 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Insane
Pilchard VIII wrote:
Wow, so how did you add the XP mod for Vista? What program, if any, did you use?

I uploaded it.
Warning! It's 15 MB.

Schik edit: You say you're not sure if it's legal, so I'm removing the link. If you DO make sure it's legal, feel free to put it back.

-Insane

[Last edited by Schik at 04-10-2007 01:42 PM]
04-09-2007 at 06:50 PM
Yellow_Mage
Rank Points: 267
Well, what people tell me it's better to have a new computer with Vista than upgrade to Vista due to some incompatibility issues between software.

Plus I find most of the GUI stuff for Linux incredibily sexy that is rivals that of Vista, plus is practical (I'm not a Linux user; I just tend to look with envy).

Click here to view the secret text

04-09-2007 at 08:15 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Insane
I checked and it's legal as far as ÜberIcon, TaskbarShuffle and TaskbarPreview goes. Not sure about the Vista theme though.
I'll continue searching.

-Insane
04-10-2007 at 02:19 PM
Pilchard VIII
Hang on, does this thing change Vista to look like XP or does it change XP to look like Vista?

04-10-2007 at 05:14 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Insane
Pilchard VIII wrote:
Hang on, does this thing change Vista to look like XP or does it change XP to look like Vista?

XP to look like Vista.

-Insane
04-10-2007 at 05:23 PM
Pilchard VIII
Oh, I thought it made Vista look like XP. Now that would have been cool.

04-10-2007 at 05:33 PM
Tuttle
Rank Points: 1545
eytanz wrote:
(it does have good support for my laptop's tablet functionality including handwriting recognition that is really quite good, but I've never used a tablet that ran XP so I can't compare).
It's way ahead of XP's. Ditto with the speech recognition (which is pretty cool, but would be cooler if it let you dictate to arbitrary apps like Firefox and Trillian instead of just recognised word processors etc -- "press h, e, l, l, o, enter" gets old pretty quick).
04-11-2007 at 10:19 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
piderman
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 51
icon Re: Vista Graphical (+1)  
For those people interested, you can try the demo version of Window Blinds, with a Vista-like skin.

I have found the products of Stardock to have provide the best skinning. Check www.stardock.com for more of these programs (to replace icons etc) and www.wincustomize.com for the skins to go with them. I couldn't find an exact Vista replica but most of other skins look better anyway ;)

PS If you install WindowBlinds on Vista you can make it look like XP again :D
PPS All these programs are shareware, and the skins on WinCustomize, unless otherwise stated, are free of charge, so it's all legal :)

[Last edited by piderman at 04-16-2007 07:48 PM]
04-16-2007 at 07:34 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Insane
icon Re: Vista Graphical (+1)  
Here's a good, free, (legal) transformation pack for Xp/2003 -> Vista.

Vista Transformation Pack 6 (Final)

-Insane
04-17-2007 at 03:12 PM
Pilchard VIII
Yeah, Windows X is a legend.

04-17-2007 at 03:38 PM
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Other Boards : Anything : Vista Graphical (Mod)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com