Announcement: Please read the Rules Topic for some general rules and etiquette before using the Hints and Solutions system.

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Hints and Solutions : this may be a moot point (L8)...
Get Help for a Room Post Reply
Poster Message
leroy00
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 155
IP: Logged
icon this may be a moot point (L8)... (0)  
since I am playing the webfoot edition, which was included as a full version on a games collection CD, but I am stuck on level 8. Not because I can't figure it out, but rather because there is a one-way door. Level 8 is really hard, especially without the ability to save a room during play, which apparently has been implemented in the Caravel version. So 2 or 3 times I have already had the fine experience of "finishing" the level only to find the blue doors closed, (spoiler for those who haven't played the level: )

Click here to view the secret text

But apparently I have forgotten in my zeal some room to the north of the one with the wraiths and cannot get back through this room (sorry, I don't have the room designations to hand, although the function with unique room IDs in the webfoot version seems to have been abandoned in the Caravel version since no one here uses it), so now I can't finish the level after probably tens of hours on it, and I really don't feel like doing all those rooms again. :~) I guess I have no other choice that to cheat and use the level demo from the downloads page, or is this incorrect?

I just wanted to say how frustrating it is that there is no way to go back through the room (it's easy to forget where there are unfinished rooms; the play time is surely much longer with no room-save feature and some rooms take me days), just one little orb separates me from finishing the level after all that work, and it appears I will end up with the only half-satisifying feeling "I really could have finished the room, but...." Then again, this experience was the reason I googled "deadly rooms of death" and found this page. I never would have expected such a well-developed presentation of this theme.

Okay, now I've gotten that off my chest, and the thing I really wanted to say was that I find it mean that there is no way to save a room in progress and how much that limits the ability to experiment with different tactics (primarily with the mother tars) which I find one the most interesting aspects of the game, but this page has shown me that this is yet another moot point, but apparently I still have a lot to learn.

leroy

[Edited by leroy00 on 09-30-2003 at 10:12 AM]
09-30-2003 at 10:07 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Atch
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 81
icon Re: this may be a moot point (L8)... (0)  
I can only commiserate and congratulate you for your persistence, I certainly don’t think that I would have had the patience to continue after level 8 without checkpoints.

Having gone down all 25 levels might I suggest that you cut your losses and download the Caravel version (1.5 or preferably 1.6, Architects Edition)?

Believe me that there are some things down below that make level 8 seem a cakewalk! I now find level 8 quite easy but admittedly am still unable to do it without dying dozens of times.

The only ‘good’ thing about Webfoot is the music so they say but you can take that with you (somehow).

09-30-2003 at 11:15 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
krammer
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 904
I also made this mistake. I sympathize. Especially as the room you missed is possibly one of the easier ones. :D You now have 3 options:

1)Reload a previous save game and go from there. If that's not possible you can then:

2)Download the saved games from the drod.net downloads page, and load up the save game for the start of level 8 (or level 9, if you don't want to replay the entire level - understandably).

3)Download Caravel DROD - preferably version 1.5, as 1.6 is still buggy and may lose all your data. Yes, you will have to start again, BUT with checkpoints it's much easier and the first few levels never take very long the second time through them.

"Oook!"
09-30-2003 at 04:44 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Oneiromancer
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2936
sorry, I don't have the room designations to hand, although the function with unique room IDs in the webfoot version seems to have been abandoned in the Caravel version since no one here uses it

As you may have noticed on these boards in Caravel the room designations are, for example, "Level 8 Once West Twice North" or something like that, always displayed at the top of the screen, instead of the strange coordinates you had to enter the secret command to find. Personally I like it better this way; you'll get used to it too.

Also, it looks like in the Caravel version they added a way to get back through the room that you can't get back through. There are lots of improvements, so I would highly recommend downloading it. When I played Webfoot I couldn't get past the very last room on level 8, the one with the three tar mothers, but in Caravel there are the checkpoints so I was finally able to do it.

Game on,

"He who is certain he knows the ending of things when he is only beginning them is either extremely wise or extremely foolish; no matter which is true, he is certainly an unhappy man, for he has put a knife in the heart of wonder." -- Tad Williams
09-30-2003 at 04:58 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Mattcrampy
Rank Points: 2388
My suggestion would be to shoot Erik for putting that door there, but then they fixed it for the Caravel version so it's alllllllllll right.

Matt

10-04-2003 at 04:35 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Scott
Rank Points: 578
Actually I don't think it was fixed in Caravel but theres a scroll that warns you about. I also believe that a few versions of Webfoot had some bugs that made some levels impossible (level 13 was one I believe). I think your best bet would be to get the Caravel version we know that it works.
10-06-2003 at 12:17 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Oneiromancer
The part that wasn't fixed but had a warning added was a different room with a tar mother. That room if you leave without beating it you can't get back through. What leroy was talking about is much earlier in the level, where you can't get back through even if you beat it, because of a yellow door without an orb on the side you're coming from (IIRC).

Game on,

"He who is certain he knows the ending of things when he is only beginning them is either extremely wise or extremely foolish; no matter which is true, he is certainly an unhappy man, for he has put a knife in the heart of wonder." -- Tad Williams
10-06-2003 at 03:06 AM
leroy00
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 155
First of all, thanks for the help. I've downloaded the Caravel version and am on my way down again.

I suppose this post really belongs in a new thread, but since this is all newbie stuff, and I seem to be one of the few newbies here, I will stick to this thread. I've installed the new version, and yesterday I was on level three. The rooms are much easier this time around, since one knows how to handle sword and roaches. Nonetheless, I gut stuck in a room and not having breakfasted, I went to get a bite to eat. When I came back, a demo of the room I was in autostarted. My first thought was, "huh, the Caravel version saves your last moves as a demo." As I watched, Beethro cleared the room and I then remembered the solution, so (it seems the most obvious explanation) the Caravel version autoplays demos of the room you're in when the game goes idle. It wasn't a big deal this time around, since I had already cleared the room in the Webfoot version, but I wouldn't want to see solutions to rooms I hadn't yet finished later on. I couldn't find a way to turn off demos in the list of options, so I am hoping someone will be kind enough (again) and clear me up on this. I wimped out and decided against playing the webfoot version to the bitter end, but I don't want any unsolicited hints! ;)

leroy
10-08-2003 at 02:51 PM
DiMono
Rank Points: 1181
Caravel only has built-in demos of a few rooms in the first few levels. Webfoot had built-in demos all the way to level 22. It was just a fluke that the room you're on happened to be the room you saw a demo for.

As a suggestion, if you feel like punishing yourself for some reason, after beating Caravel go back and play Webfoot and beat it. What doesn't kill you only makes you stronger, right?

10-08-2003 at 04:47 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Oneiromancer
I think you just got hit by an amazing coincidence...there are only five rooms that have solved demos that play from the main screen, and you just happened to be in one of them. Let me guess: you were in 1S, 1W. This may be one of the first "hard" rooms, and so that's why there's a demo of it, to make sure new players don't get too discouraged.

As long as you're at it, I highly suggest that you turn on "Save a demo when room is completed" in the settings menu--it really helps when you want to tell someone how to beat a room and you don't want to have to do it again! And they shouldn't show up on the main menu either...actually, I'm not quite sure how to get demos to show up there...

Game on,

10-08-2003 at 04:49 PM
Mattcrampy
FAQ Ninja... strike!

To get demos to show up on the title screen, you have to be the author of the hold. So no extra demos for King Dugan's.

Go to the demo screen (F6) and tick the 'Show demo at title screen' box while in the room you recorded the demo in.

And awaaaaaay!

Matt

10-09-2003 at 02:36 PM
Oneiromancer
Do you have to be the author of the hold or just have editing rights?

Game on,

10-09-2003 at 04:55 PM
Mattcrampy
Author, unfortunately.

Matt

10-09-2003 at 09:09 PM
Get Help for a Room Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Hints and Solutions : this may be a moot point (L8)...
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com