Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : Development : Source Code
Page 1 of 2
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
bradwall
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 423
IP: Logged
icon Source Code (0)  
Erik and Mike,

Hey guys... life has slowed down once again for me. I was wondering if (when the new version is released) the souce code will be on sourceforge (like the older version was). I want to look through it. If I feel comfortable enough, I would like to develop (or something).

Anyways, just a thought.

I am thinking of creating Drodtris... since no one else is going to ;-)
Maybe that will be my next project.
09-29-2003 at 04:53 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
mrimer
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 5056
icon Re: Source Code (0)  
All the most recent 1.6 code is on SF. You can download it just as before (look at the "Developer" or "Building DROD" docs to see how to get it, and what else needs to be done). By the way, hope your family's doing well!

And I come back to you now at the turn of the tide.
09-29-2003 at 08:33 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
bradwall
My family is doing well. So, Mike, when are we going to do something. I mean, you don't live very far from me and I think it would be cool to meet you sometime.

Also, my house will be done next month!!! I will be glad when this happens.

Good to hear from you.
09-29-2003 at 08:45 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
ErikH2000
Rank Points: 2794
bradwall wrote:
Erik and Mike,

Hey guys... life has slowed down once again for me. I was wondering if (when the new version is released) the souce code will be on sourceforge (like the older version was). I want to look through it. If I feel comfortable enough, I would like to develop (or something).
Hey, Brad!

Like Mike says, the latest 1.6 code is on SourceForge. We are also doing some work with newer 1.7 code, and that source code will be publicly released on SourceForge when the 1.7 version of DROD is released.

-Erik

09-29-2003 at 10:00 PM
View Profile Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
bradwall

File: DRODTRIS.zip (52.8 KB)
Downloaded 78 times.
License: Other
Thanks for the info, guys.

Just for fun, I took some old code and added some bitmaps to create a "DRODTRIS" game. Just playing around. I attached it to this post.

What do you think?
09-30-2003 at 12:04 AM
ErikH2000
Rank Points: 2794
icon Re: Re: Source Code (0)  
bradwall wrote:
What do you think?
When I start the game it doesn't show tiles falling or anything. The music plays, but there is just an empty box in the play area. Everything else in the UI works fine after that point.

-Erik

09-30-2003 at 12:29 AM
View Profile Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
eytanz
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2708
Cool!

One suggestion I would have is to make use of the fact that DROD monsters have multiple facings, and have them rotate as well as the tetris block. Of course, this will complicate the graphics code, but I'm sure it won't be too bad (for simplicity's sake, you could have them all look up (north) when the block stops moving)...

Eytan

09-30-2003 at 03:22 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
ClaytonW
Rank Points: 961
bradwall wrote:
What do you think?

I think I'm going to cry with glee! I'm known among my peers to be a Tetris junkie. (I refer to myself as the Tetris Messiah.) And now my two loves, DROD and Tetris are together at last!

Brad Wall, I think I love you.
09-30-2003 at 03:33 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
bradwall
Boy, Clayton, I always thought that you were a pretty good guy... but I don't know how to take that compliment (Just Kidding). I was just playing around. I think that there could be a lot added to it and changed.

From what Erik said, I had the same problems sometimes... I had to exit the program once (or twice sometimes) and then open it and start it again to get the pieces to show up. I think the problem is with the API call that I make to start the music... not exactly sure though. I will have to see.

Thanks for the compliments, everyone. There are a lot of ideas that I have for it, but I don't know if there is enough demand for me to continue playing around with the code and creating it to be better.

I really just wanted to make it, since someone posted it as "News" on the web site (on April 1st... fancy that!) and my hopes and dreams about it were dashed apart.

EDIT: I was thinking of changing the music to the music that used to be on the DROD web site. I think that I have the music file on my computer somewhere. Should I, or should I leave it as the music that is on there now?

[Edited by bradwall on 09-30-2003 at 03:23 PM]
09-30-2003 at 03:19 PM
ClaytonW
bradwall wrote:
Thanks for the compliments, everyone. There are a lot of ideas that I have for it, but I don't know if there is enough demand for me to continue playing around with the code and creating it to be better.

THERE IS DEMAND! :evilmad: ;)

EDIT: I was thinking of changing the music to the music that used to be on the DROD web site. I think that I have the music file on my computer somewhere. Should I, or should I leave it as the music that is on there now?

That song, "Alone in the Universe," is by Istavan Marczis, and I was granted permission by him to include the song on the website when it was there. That was over two years ago, and I have no idea if you could contact him. Here's my suggestion:

First off, there should be a checkered background behind the tetrominos that are falling, perhaps starting with the two shades of grey. Have the actual music from Caravel DROD's level 1 play. Or if you can contact Lars (ask Erik) you might be able to get Webfoot's music. When the player clears a level, have the checkered background change, and the music advance to level 2. This allows the player to better see the pieces (except spiders on the blue/white, maybe use a serpent?) and help line them up. Also it provides a signifcant indication of level changes.
09-30-2003 at 03:43 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
bradwall
The checkered background is a good idea. There is a problem with doing this... The code that I have for this is some old code and, the way that it is created, would not work like that. It acutally paints the path that it was on (in this case, a grey color)... so, it would constantly paint over the checkerboard. I may have to redo a good amount of code to do this. I will probably toss the code that I have and recreate it to fit DROD.

I would also like it to have the blood splatter when a line(s) is/are erased. But, that is just my thoughts. I will look into different ideas on what I could do with this. Thanks for the suggestion...
any other suggestions, anyone:huh
09-30-2003 at 03:53 PM
Schik
Rank Points: 5381
My only suggestion is to make the problem Erik mentioned go away. I can't play. :(

09-30-2003 at 03:55 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
krammer
Rank Points: 904
I'm with Erik and Schik. The thing don't work!

"Oook!"
09-30-2003 at 06:29 PM
bradwall
Doesn't work... well, sucks to be you.

Ok, I will look into it. I think it is the API call that I am using for playing the music. I will change that later and post it again.
09-30-2003 at 06:36 PM
Schik
Well, I managed to get it to work by running it from the command line instead of double clicking on it in explorer. Odd.

I look forward to seeing this progress!

09-30-2003 at 06:39 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
bradwall

File: DRODTRIS.zip (52.8 KB)
Downloaded 53 times.
Ok, I am attaching a new version. It starts without any music. If you want the music, it is in the menu and you can select to turn it on if you want.

I think that this will fix the issue that some people are having. Let me know if this works.
09-30-2003 at 06:44 PM
krammer
Sorry! It does work - I just have to click start, then stop, then start again. Then it's fine.

Sorry if it caused trouble...

"Oook!"
09-30-2003 at 06:51 PM
bradwall
no problemo... does the newer version work on the first try (the music is turned off at the beginning)?

09-30-2003 at 06:53 PM
Oneiromancer
Rank Points: 2936
A suggestion: Q and W should also rotate the pieces...I know I tried to do that before realizing I should use the left and right arrows. Or, at least have a customizeable interface (perhaps something you were going to do in the future).

Looking good!

Game on,

"He who is certain he knows the ending of things when he is only beginning them is either extremely wise or extremely foolish; no matter which is true, he is certainly an unhappy man, for he has put a knife in the heart of wonder." -- Tad Williams
09-30-2003 at 07:05 PM
krammer
Strangely, it doesn't. I can still get this version working by using the command line as Schik mentioned. Using Explorer doesn't work for some reason.

"Oook!"
09-30-2003 at 08:14 PM
bradwall

File: DRODTRIS.zip (79.3 KB)
Downloaded 59 times.
Another try. For some reason, it may show the mask of the picture instead of the picture (image). If it does this, or doesn't show anything, then just exit the game and start it again. Then, see if it works.

10-01-2003 at 12:13 AM
mrimer
Rank Points: 5056
Yeah, this is good stuff we're looking at here. I think we should keep this project moving along!

I like the smooth movement of the blocks as they fall, rather than the normally jagged jumps from row to row.

I would like to get rid of the small space at the bottom (~3 pixels of a tile row) and left. Just resize the play area slightly I guess.

I think a splatter when a row disappears would be great.

How about styling 2x2 pieces as a block of tar? They will combine together when next to each other. If a piece is removed, then it turns into tar babies.

And I come back to you now at the turn of the tide.
10-01-2003 at 02:04 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
bradwall
mrimer wrote:
Yeah, this is good stuff we're looking at here. I think we should keep this project moving along!

Oh yeah? I guess that I can keep playing with it. Did it ever have problems when starting the game:huh Did it show the mask instead of the image? That seemed to be a problem at first.

I like the smooth movement of the blocks as they fall, rather than the normally jagged jumps from row to row.

Yeah, I have the pieces falling by pixels instead of piece size... I figured that would look better.

I would like to get rid of the small space at the bottom (~3 pixels of a tile row) and left. Just resize the play area slightly I guess.

So, are you saying that you don't want to brick around the edges? Just have the playing field hit the top, bottom, and side?
\\
I think a splatter when a row disappears would be great.

That may take a while... I will look into doing that.

How about styling 2x2 pieces as a block of tar? They will combine together when next to each other. If a piece is removed, then it turns into tar babies.

That would be cool. I will have to see the best way to do that with the code that I have. I think that it will not be too bad. I think that it would be cool to have a block of tar, then when another group of tar hits, they form together. Also, when a line is broken, they turn into tar babies. But, wow, that will not be for a while... I will work on just getting it working first.

I will, if it is ok, add DROD sounds to the game. Maybe when a tetris is made, I could have Beethro make one of his sounds... and/or when he completes a level, he makes the sound that he does when a room is completed.

I may add something that changes the background and bricks when you make it to another level. I think it would get interesting once you make it to a level that could hide the spiders!

Any other suggestions? Is anyone still having problems getting it to run?
10-01-2003 at 03:35 PM
bradwall
Also, does anyone like Yahtzee? I have a Yahtzee game that I created that I could give a DROD theme to it. The game has Classic Yahtzee, Painted Yahtzee, Triple Yahtzee, and Pyramid Yahtzee.
10-01-2003 at 03:49 PM
Schik
icon Re: Re: Re: Source Code (0)  
bradwall wrote:
Is anyone still having problems getting it to run?
I just grabbed the most recent version. The first two times I ran it, I got the masks dropping down instead of the images, leaving trails behind them. The next time, I had some weird ghost-ish version of the tiles, which left a trail behind them as well.

Finally, the fourth time I ran it, it looked correct.

10-01-2003 at 03:49 PM
trick
Rank Points: 2580
It works perfectly every time when running under Wine in Linux :glasses

Well, almost. There's one problem: The window doesn't seem to be sized correctly - the size of the menu bar isn't added to the total height of the window, so that i only see the top half of the bottom line of the playfield. This is probably a bug in Wine, not in your program, so don't worry too much about it - though it would be nice if you added a command line argument to add that bit to the height of the window, or to make it resizeable :P . Even better would be a portable remake, but i understand if you don't want to do that ;)

Also, there's no music, but that's due to a wrong midi setup in my wine config file. I should fix that some time.

Edit: I'd like to be able to rotate the pieces both ways, too. (Q and W ?)

- Gerry

[Edited by trick on 10-01-2003 at 05:45 PM]
10-01-2003 at 05:33 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
bradwall
I made Q and W rotate the pieces counter clock wise and clockwise. I will post it later. I want to try to fix the bitblt problems I am having.
10-01-2003 at 06:02 PM
krammer
Took me a few tries, but I like the new background better. What would be very nice is a drop piece key - something I always look for in Tetris games. Unless it's already there and I just haven't found it yet. :)

Great work though Brad, keep it up! Also, maybe this topic ought to be moved, as the title is misleading and some members may not read the development forum? I almost missed it.

"Oook!"
10-01-2003 at 06:29 PM
bradwall
When I post a new version, I can put it on a new thread called "DRODTRIS".

Funny thing is, I was just starting this to be a bit funny (because of the whole April 1st news on the DROD site). I didn't know that so many people would like to see it created.
10-01-2003 at 06:34 PM
ClaytonW

File: tetris 1 key.gif (3.3 KB)
Downloaded 64 times.
A few more ideas I had:

Being that you've got Q and W rotating, why not enable (at least as a secondary option) the numpad to move pieces? 2, 4, and 6 would work as expected, and 5 could be the "hard drop" that krammer was looking for. 8 would be useless. Because moving pieces upwards defeats the purpose of Tetris games, have 7 and 9 function as an additional left and right, or make them useless too.

You might actually want to introduce a (possibly?) new element to Tetris using the 1 and 3 keys to move a piece diagonally for tight manuevering. (see the attached picture)

Sounds:
AlanComplete: a level is passed
Neatherscared3: when the stack of blocks is coming close to the top
BeethroDie3: at a game over
mimic: one to three lines cleared
BeethroLaugh(1,2,or3): Tetris
quickscrape: rotation of pieces
blooomp: when piece falls into place and gets "stuck"

I'll post more ideas tomorrow if I get them. But right now I'm going out for my birthday. ^_^
10-01-2003 at 08:13 PM
Page 1 of 2
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : Development : Source Code
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com