Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : General : DROD channel on IRC
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
Malarame
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 220
IP: Logged
icon DROD channel on IRC (0)  
About a month ago I started a DROD channel on IRC in DALnet. In case anyone was wondering what ever happened to it, it\'s gone now. About a week after it was formed, DALnet was attacked and forced to shut down. Now it\'s almost impossible to connect. I could form a channel on another server, but I\'m not going to because DALnet was the only server that had any sort of rules. All other servers are anarchic and it would be very hard to maintain a channel on any of them. Anyway, that\'s what happened.

"I never forget a face, but in your case I'll be glad to make an exception."
-Groucho Marx
02-05-2003 at 08:14 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
ErikH2000
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2794
icon Re: DROD channel on IRC (0)  
Sad!

Clayton and I were planning to put a java IRC client on DROD.net, so that people could browse over there without downloading any software. It would just point to a \"#DROD\" channel automatically, so the people only have to enter a nick.

Maybe there is still a reasonable way to do it?

-Erik

02-05-2003 at 08:33 PM
View Profile Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Canthlian
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 30
Umm... DalNet wasn\'t the only server with a rule-system. Personally, if you want to create a DROD IRC channel, I\'d recommend Austnet. It\'s got good services, easy to use, hard to attack, and it\'s got a worthwhile level system. Just a thought.
02-06-2003 at 12:42 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Malarame
I\'ve never used Austnet, but I\'ll check it out and if I like it then I\'ll set up another channel. And Erik, I\'m sure there are chatroom programs that don\'t involve IRC. They would probably be more reliable...maybe it can be involved with the forum so only registered members can chat.

-Groucho Marx
02-06-2003 at 02:04 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
ErikH2000
icon Re: Re: DROD channel on IRC (0)  
Malarame wrote:
And Erik, I\'m sure there are chatroom programs that don\'t involve IRC. They would probably be more reliable...maybe it can be involved with the forum so only registered members can chat.
Well, that is a good point. But I think it is nice to let the hardcore IRC people use their favorite programs. So if we get an IRC channel working, then we have something for the casual chatters and the chat connoiseurs both.

-Erik

02-06-2003 at 06:33 AM
View Profile Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Malarame
OK well I checked out AustNet and I like it (thanks for the recommendation, Canthlian). I\'ve set up a channel on it called #drod (original, don\'t you think?), so come on by and chat. For anyone who doesn\'t know how to use IRC, go to www.mirc.com and download mIRC. For the server, choose AustNet and, once you connect, type /j #drod. I strongly advise everyone to register a nick on AustNet so that no one else can use it (we wouldn\'t want 15 erikh200\'s running around wreaking havoc, now would we?). You can register your nick by typing \"/MSG NickOP REGISTER <password> <email address>\" once you\'ve connected, and then follow the instructions. Hope to see you all there!

-Groucho Marx
02-07-2003 at 01:35 AM
ClaytonW
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 961
Alright, now we\'ve got a new chatroom set up. I don\'t know how often I\'ll visit though, I\'m not much of a chatter.

Erik, should start looking into that java IRC thing now?
02-09-2003 at 07:35 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
ErikH2000
icon Re: Re: DROD channel on IRC (0)  
ClaytonW wrote:
Alright, now we\'ve got a new chatroom set up. I don\'t know how often I\'ll visit though, I\'m not much of a chatter.

Erik, should start looking into that java IRC thing now?
Yeah. I like this jIRC one. I won\'t be able to get to installing it for a while. If you want to give it a shot, Clayton, here is the link:

http://www.jpilot.com/products/jirc/download.html

02-09-2003 at 11:23 PM
disoriented
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2379
icon Re: DROD channel on IRC (+4)  
For those keeping score, we have a new Discord for CaravelNet (which I'm guessing outclasses IRC in most respects!)

If you're logged into CaravelNet, you can click on the Profile link at the top of the forum, and then click the CaravelNet tab. There's a section called "Discord chat integration" (above various score options) which you can refer to for a link to Discord.

Discord has a channel #caravelnet which mirrors the standard CaravelNet chat, so current chat messages will appear in both. Discord preserves messages for longer than an hour, and it supports some neat emojis and things. Furthermore there are Discord clients for all mobile devices as well as desktop operating systems. So you can joke around with the forum members while going for your next DROD high score.

So I think that's a pretty cool synchronization Schik has put together for us. Score! Let's give him a hand.

Best to PM me, since I might miss your message on CaravelNet chat.

[Last edited by disoriented at 02-09-2023 05:19 PM]
02-09-2023 at 05:10 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
ErikH2000
icon Re: DROD channel on IRC (+1)  
disoriented wrote:
So I think that's a pretty cool synchronization Schik has put together for us. Score! Let's give him a hand.
My engineer's brain often stops listening and works out its own solution to things. So when I read the first bit of the message, I thought "what they really should do is find a way synch Discord chat and CaravelNet. But that's probably too much work."

Naw. Monkey power gets it done, son!

-Erik

02-09-2023 at 05:44 PM
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : General : DROD channel on IRC
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com