Announcement: Remember: you are giving away your fantastic ideas for free, and somebody else might even make money from them (or appear to). That's just how the world works! If you're worried about it, maybe you shouldn't post your ideas here.

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Feature Requests : Custom Swords
Page 2 of 2
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
eytanz
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2708
IP: Logged
icon Re: Custom Swords (0)  
I can't see why that wouldn't still be possible now. There are plenty of tiles in generaltiles that are not part of the city style, and are not overwritten in other styles. All the monsters, for instance, and the regular sword. It should be totally modular - you should be able to overwrite them in a generaltiles mod and keep them consistent throughout styles. Just like the old transparent tar mods used to (and still do) work.

What you cannot do is to embed that mod in a hold, since generaltiles mods aren't embeddable. *If* you want to embed a sword change in your hold, then you can embed it "over" City, or as part of a total style override, but not "over" any of the non-City styles.

04-10-2007 at 08:45 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
silver
Rank Points: 915
you have correctly summarized the problem, yes.
but that should be fixable :).

04-10-2007 at 08:48 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Insane
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 154
Out of some stragne reason, whenever I use sworded graphics, transparency doesn't work. (Gray shows as gray ingame)
I tried cutting a single line out and using that, and transparency worked again.

This is a major problem with my RPG, as it uses custom swords.

-Insane
04-11-2007 at 02:33 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
silver
can you post the graphic that transparency doesn't work on?

04-11-2007 at 05:43 PM
Insane

File: transparent.png (6.1 KB)
Downloaded 319 times.
License: Public Domain
icon Re: Custom Swords (-2)  
No, as it uses copyrighted graphics.
I'll try developing another version to upload.

-Insane

EDIT: I blanked out the stuff.
Click here to view the secret text

[Last edited by Insane at 04-11-2007 07:15 PM]
04-11-2007 at 07:11 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Jatopian
Rank Points: 1842
Insane wrote:
No, as it uses copyrighted graphics.
Then... how do you expect to get it onto the Holds board? :huh

04-11-2007 at 11:39 PM
coppro
Rank Points: 1308
I'm not sure what Erik's stance on this is, but it may be allowable to use TCB graphics unmodified if you want to make a new sword or swordless sprite. But I'm not Erik.
04-11-2007 at 11:43 PM
View Profile Show all user's posts Quote Reply
eytanz
icon Re: Custom Swords (+1)  
It's not allowable - exactly the same rules apply for TCB custom graphics as did to JtRH custom images, regardless of the facts that there are more places to use said custom images in TCB.

You cannot post a hold on the holds board that includes any art modified from DROD 2.0 or 3.0 *unless* you ask Erik for special permission. Since the architecture board doesn't feature a review process you technically can post such a hold there, but if it will be noticed by an admin it will be removed.

This may change in the future, but it's highly unlikely. Far more likely is that future versions of DROD will be even more robust in their support for mods such that there will be a way to do this without having to use any copyrighted art.

[Last edited by eytanz at 04-12-2007 01:19 AM]
04-12-2007 at 01:18 AM
coppro
eytanz wrote:
It's not allowable - exactly the same rules apply for TCB custom graphics as did to JtRH custom images, regardless of the facts that there are more places to use said custom images in TCB.

You cannot post a hold on the holds board that includes any art modified from DROD 2.0 or 3.0 *unless* you ask Erik for special permission. Since the architecture board doesn't feature a review process you technically can post such a hold there, but if it will be noticed by an admin it will be removed.

This may change in the future, but it's highly unlikely. Far more likely is that future versions of DROD will be even more robust in their support for mods such that there will be a way to do this without having to use any copyrighted art.
What I meant was, would it be allowable to feature your own personal sword art, and Caravel Beethro graphics? The question arose during chat one time, because you can't change just a character's sword.
04-12-2007 at 02:16 AM
eytanz
No. You can't include any graphic that is a modification of a Caravel graphic. The hold admins have explicit instructions to reject a hold that includes such a graphic.

04-12-2007 at 02:37 AM
Ezlo
Rank Points: 1214
Here's another question. Can we take the graphic of a guard and create a custom Stalwart that looks exactly like a guard? It wouldn't be modifying the graphics at all, just replacing one with another.

I certainly hope it works, but I kind of doubt it. :(
04-12-2007 at 02:40 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
eytanz
You cannot embed a graphic that's copyrighted by Caravel in a hold, regardless if it's modified or not. So no.

04-12-2007 at 02:57 AM
Ezlo
Rats. Thanks for clarifying, I won't star building rooms with Red Stalwarts then.
04-12-2007 at 03:02 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
silver
coppro wrote:
because you can't change just a character's sword.

uh. why can't you? I mean, I did just that with the purple sword mod.
and the same thing that prevents me from making that mod universal in a hold would also prevent me whether I tried to include Beethro graphics or not.

[Last edited by silver at 04-12-2007 03:33 AM]
04-12-2007 at 03:31 AM
coppro
I mean a custom character, from the dialog.
04-12-2007 at 04:12 AM
Briareos
Rank Points: 3516
coppro wrote:
I mean a custom character, from the dialog.
But let's face it: coming up with custom graphics for your own character isn't that hard, especially if it's an almost top-down view and a 22x22 tile.

Just roll your own instead of modifying something existing and you're good to go...

04-12-2007 at 11:22 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Insane
eytanz wrote:
You cannot embed a graphic that's copyrighted by Caravel in a hold, regardless if it's modified or not. So no.

I e-mailed Erik, and he said it was ok as long as it's imbedded into the hold, and only into the hold itself.

-Insane

[Last edited by Insane at 04-12-2007 12:52 PM]
04-12-2007 at 12:51 PM
Ezlo
Maybe for you're particular hold. But not for the average joe.
04-12-2007 at 02:52 PM
Insane
Ezlo wrote:
Maybe for you're particular hold. But not for the average joe.

Could be.
Anyways, the question is for my particular hold.

-Insane

EDIT: Is it just me, or is the post above me the 11111th post in this forum?

-Insane

[Last edited by Insane at 04-12-2007 05:47 PM]
04-12-2007 at 03:16 PM
eytanz
If you got permission from Erik, make sure you mention it in the hold description (say something like "TCB art used with permission by Erik Hermansen") - that will let the hold admins know it's ok to approve it.

It may be that Erik has decided to change the policy to make it more liberal - if that's the case, though, he'll have to let the hold admins know for it to make a difference.

04-12-2007 at 04:31 PM
Ezlo
If there is a big overall change, please let us know.
04-12-2007 at 04:38 PM
Insane
eytanz wrote:
If you got permission from Erik, make sure you mention it in the hold description (say something like "TCB art used with permission by Erik Hermansen") - that will let the hold admins know it's ok to approve it.

It may be that Erik has decided to change the policy to make it more liberal - if that's the case, though, he'll have to let the hold admins know for it to make a difference.

Yes, Erik said I have to add "Copyrighted Graphics, Sounds and Images used with permission by Caravel" in the first level description text.

-Insane
04-12-2007 at 05:16 PM
halyavin
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 52
Do I understand right that there is no way to union 2 mods via .ini file? I just tried to union Sanctum 2 and Ugly general mod to obtain public-domain mod that overrides all tiles and it is not working.
I can union .png and .tim files though.
04-14-2007 at 09:48 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Page 2 of 2
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Feature Requests : Custom Swords
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No