Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Bugs : Build 45 Poll--Testers Please Vote!
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
What O/S have you run DROD build 45 on?
Windows NT
Windows 98
Windows 95
Windows ME
Windows 2000/XP/Other
Note: Viewing results forfeits your right to vote.
Poster Message
ErikH2000
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2794
IP: Logged
icon Build 45 Poll--Testers Please Vote! (0)  
This is a simple way (I hope) to figure out what O/Ss we've covered for testing and how many people are hitting the build. 2000 and XP are grouped together with other because I know at least a few people have tested on these.

DROD:AE is supposed to run on pretty much any desktop version of Windows. I've yet to see anyone report on Windows 95, but I imagine there are not so many Win95 users out there. I don't plan to spend time on Win95 support, but it would be good to at least find out if DROD works on it. It it doesn't, I can change the "supported platforms" description to not include 95 when I upload to different sites.

Linux will not be neglected, but Windows is the target I'm interested right now.

-Erik

09-18-2003 at 07:39 PM
View Profile Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Oneiromancer
Rank Points: 2936
icon Re: Build 45 Poll--Testers Please Vote! (0)  
Right now there are 25 views but only 5 votes. :huh I figure some are from people checking on the status of the poll, but really, 20 views? And if you're not testing the beta, why bother check this thread? It clearly says "testers please vote".

You see, that's the problem with the world these days...people just don't get up and vote, and then they complain when it doesn't go the way they want it to. :P

Game on,

"He who is certain he knows the ending of things when he is only beginning them is either extremely wise or extremely foolish; no matter which is true, he is certainly an unhappy man, for he has put a knife in the heart of wonder." -- Tad Williams
09-18-2003 at 11:18 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
StuartK
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 564
I wanted to vote in two seperate categories, Win98 & XP, but I chose just to vote for XP since that's my main platform.

As for the number of reads, I'd say it's probably something to do with people getting overexcited about the results so far :D
09-18-2003 at 11:45 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
trick
Rank Points: 2580
Maybe it's those googlebots on a rampage again ?

Googlebots and linux users.

09-19-2003 at 12:04 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
eytanz
Rank Points: 2708
Personally, I'm still using build 42, so there's no way I can honestly answer this poll. Once I get home and can upgrade my DROD version, I'll be able to.

Also, every time someone posts a reply, people who already saw the thread once might pop in to look at it - so some of the views could be repeated viewings.

09-19-2003 at 12:23 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Tscott
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 382
I've got it running successfully on two different Win98 computers.

09-19-2003 at 12:40 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Oneiromancer
icon Re: Re: Build 45 Poll--Testers Please Vote! (0)  
eytanz wrote:
Also, every time someone posts a reply, people who already saw the thread once might pop in to look at it - so some of the views could be repeated viewings.

Yeah, I knew that after I posted the statistics would be screwed up, but it was more amazement at the state before a single reply than a prediction of what would happen later.

Game on,

"He who is certain he knows the ending of things when he is only beginning them is either extremely wise or extremely foolish; no matter which is true, he is certainly an unhappy man, for he has put a knife in the heart of wonder." -- Tad Williams
09-19-2003 at 12:44 AM
NoahT
Rank Points: 1133
eytanz wrote:
Personally, I'm still using build 42, so there's no way I can honestly answer this poll.

Same for me, since I'm still using build 40. But I will try to get my vote in as soon as I've been able to get build 45 and test it.

-Noah

My stuff:
Click here to view the secret text

09-20-2003 at 01:16 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
ErikH2000
icon Re: Re: Re: Build 45 Poll--Testers Please Vote! (0)  
I know that Clayton hit the build with Windows ME. Looks like just the older O/Ss are left. Anybody run DROD build 45 on Windows NT (3.5, 4.0) or Windows 95?

I suppose I won't be stickler on those two, but it would be nice to know.

-Erik

09-20-2003 at 09:21 PM
View Profile Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
StuartK
Rank Points: 564
I'll be putting another harddisk on the P200 soonish (I'm swapping components around between 3 PCs) so I could try Win95 just to test it (though I might have some trouble tracking down drivers for the various components *shrug*) A week or two and I'll give it a go...

Don't forget there are two versions of Windows 98, and 3 (I think) of 95. Is everyone running just Win98SE, or have both 98 & 98SE been tested?

Also, have you tried running DROD in the various compatibility modes in XP? How likely would that be to show up any OS specific problems?
09-20-2003 at 10:44 PM
J.L.
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 38
I would break 2000/XP/Other into three separate points, since virtually everyone is running DROD on one of them.
09-20-2003 at 11:40 PM
ErikH2000
J.L. wrote:
I would break 2000/XP/Other into three separate points, since virtually everyone is running DROD on one of them.
I would have broke them out separately, but there's only 5 poll options available. It doesn't really matter much to me how many people are running any particular O/S. In this case, I wanted to know:
1. How many people total have tested build 45.
2. What O/Ss have been covered.

I already knew at the outset that 2000 and XP were covered, so those were consolidated into one choice to fit into 5 poll options.

-Erik

09-21-2003 at 12:26 AM
ErikH2000
StuartK wrote:
I'll be putting another harddisk on the P200 soonish (I'm swapping components around between 3 PCs) so I could try Win95 just to test it (though I might have some trouble tracking down drivers for the various components *shrug*) A week or two and I'll give it a go...
Yeah, if it isn't horrible trouble, give it a go.
Don't forget there are two versions of Windows 98, and 3 (I think) of 95. Is everyone running just Win98SE, or have both 98 & 98SE been tested?
If any of the 95/98 testers would like to report which version they tested on, please reply to this post with that.
Also, have you tried running DROD in the various compatibility modes in XP? How likely would that be to show up any OS specific problems?
Hmm. I don't know much of anything about XP. I've yet to install and run the thing.

-Erik

09-21-2003 at 12:32 AM
Mister
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 104
98SE here
09-21-2003 at 12:37 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Schik
Rank Points: 5383
StuartK wrote:
I've run development versions in the compatibility modes in XP, hoping I could test various fixes that had seperate NT/9x code. While the compatibility mode did fool DROD into thinking it was a different OS, code that I know would *not* work on 9x did in fact work in 95 compatibility mode in XP.

09-21-2003 at 05:24 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
lucretia
Rank Points: 32
(Been too busy for this stuff recently, sorry..)

I tried to run it on Win95 machine but got the following error message:
Error Starting Program (in the title bar)

The DROD.exe file is linked to missing export SHELL32.DLL:ShellExecuteExW

I have a feeling this problem may be specific to my machine but I'm afraid I do not know how to fix this so I cannot help any further.

Also ran it on XP professional...
09-22-2003 at 03:32 PM
butsam
Rank Points: 114
LOL We all are computer nerds on this test board...either we have Windows 2000/XP (both of which are the most stable versions of Windows), or we have Windows 98 SE (the most stable version under the "old" kernel). That's what you get for having nerdy testers, Erik! ;)

I haven't had any problems with new releases of DROD that I have noticed for the last about 10 builds, though I have missed some in between due to school. As far as Windows 98 is concerned, it seems extremely stable.

Sam

PS: I will soon be upgrading my computer to Windows XP, but keeping the old files (including the DROD files). This will be a unique, obscure, and likely meaningless test, and any problems are probably Microsoft's convoluted coding and incompatible business mind, not DROD. If you don't hear from me, then it worked just fine when upgrading from 98SE to XP.

[Edited by butsam on 09-25-2003 at 09:29 PM]
09-25-2003 at 09:12 PM
Oneiromancer
butsam, I would highly recommend backing up your files to disk, and doing a full install of Windows XP. I had nothing but problems trying to upgrade from Windows 98SE, and eventually had to go the full install route. It was probably because I had too much crap on my computer, and not the upgrade's fault, but it seems like there are quite a few people who have issues with the upgrade process.

Game on,

09-25-2003 at 09:38 PM
ErikH2000
lucretia wrote:
(Been too busy for this stuff recently, sorry..)

I tried to run it on Win95 machine but got the following error message:
Error Starting Program (in the title bar)

The DROD.exe file is linked to missing export SHELL32.DLL:ShellExecuteExW
Oh! I think there will be several errors of this type. Hmm. What to do?

...thinking...

Well, maybe it is your system. It might also be that we are trying to call a library function that doesn't exist in Windows 95. Ugh. If you are willing to test it, Lucretia, I will give you a special build to see if I can get the error to go away.

-Erik

09-26-2003 at 07:28 PM
lucretia
Rank Points: 32
I'm willing to test to it.
09-27-2003 at 08:39 AM
ErikH2000
lucretia wrote:
I'm willing to test to it.
Thanks, H. I changed my mind--I'm just going to blast through and forget about '95. Thanks for the offer to test.

-Erik

10-06-2003 at 04:22 AM
sims5000
Rank Points: 117
What does build 42 mean :?
01-15-2004 at 04:23 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
The_Red_Hawk
Rank Points: 783
There were 45 different "builds", which were basically tester's editions of AE. So build 42 would be the 42nd one.

The red hawk's dance of death.

.....the king of the skies.....
01-15-2004 at 04:45 PM
sims5000
Rank Points: 117
But how do I get to them :?
01-15-2004 at 04:51 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Schik
Rank Points: 5383
You don't want to get them. They're old, buggy, and will only cause problems if you use them. The latest release is 1.6.5, available for download here.

01-15-2004 at 04:55 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
ErikH2000
sims5000 wrote:
But how do I get to them :?
They are in a hard to reach location on SourceForge, but why would you want them? The old builds don't have anything different than the latest version of DROD except more bugs.

-Erik

01-15-2004 at 04:56 PM
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Bugs : Build 45 Poll--Testers Please Vote! Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com