Announcement: Please read the Rules Topic for some general rules and etiquette before using the Hints and Solutions system.

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Hints and Solutions : 82S2E
Get Help for a Room Post Reply
Poster Message
squeekie
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 140
IP: Logged
icon 82S2E (0)  

My brother is in quite a pickel here. I hate to be the one to tell him that he must restart. Any body want to help?

09-17-2003 at 10:55 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Schik
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 5381
icon Re: 82S2E (0)  
Sure, I'll help:

Hey, Squeekie's brother!! You have to restart!!

Hope that helped.

P.S.
Click here to view the secret text

09-17-2003 at 10:58 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
shanka108
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 31
frickin month on this room and now I can't get out....I give up.
Suggestion....room skip option
thanks for posting picture bro. Anyone have any suggestions except room restart which is gonna kill me:huh:huh:huh:huh

09-17-2003 at 10:59 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Schik
Rank Points: 5381
From the state of the room in the picture, it is *impossible* to exit - look at all that tar in a 2-space-wide corridor! How are you going to slice that up?

09-17-2003 at 11:01 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
ErikH2000
Rank Points: 2794
icon Re: Re: 82S2E (0)  
shanka108 wrote:
frickin month on this room and now I can't get out....I give up.
Suggestion....room skip option
thanks for posting picture bro. Anyone have any suggestions except room restart which is gonna kill me:huh:huh:huh:huh
Aw, don't give up, man! After this level, there's no more tough tar jobs for a while. Schik's secret advice will get you through.

-Erik

09-17-2003 at 11:05 PM
View Profile Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
agaricus5
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1838
icon Re: Re: Re: 82S2E (0)  
ErikH2000 wrote:
Aw, don't give up, man! After this level, there's no more tough tar jobs for a while.
-Erik
Only three levels though... Level 11 looms in the distance below you.... (Of course, metaphorically speaking).

Sorry to be off-putting... :)

[Edited by agaricus5 on 09-17-2003 at 11:11 PM]

09-17-2003 at 11:11 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
shanka108
ok, I bit the bullet, cleared tar in all three first rooms,
cleared tar out of long corridor on left, waited for mother to blink and made mad dash for mother room. I decided to save on the way and the stinken mother blinked before I could get through the door giving me rounded tar so I can't get in.
I CAN'T WIN FOR CRIPES SAKE.
calling it a day and take some Valium.
later
out

09-18-2003 at 01:47 AM
Scott
Rank Points: 578
I think the mistake you made there is trying to reach the checkpoint. What you need to do is clear a little tar from the entrance then go and use the checkpoint.
09-18-2003 at 02:39 AM
shanka108

File: ScreenHunter_001.gif (55 KB)
Downloaded 81 times.
License: Other
no way to go back to previous save right? Like play the demo to certain point and then go on from there (wishful thinking).
Yes I should have entered mothres room before saving. Now save spot gets me same result...tar grows into entrance on the was from save spot to mother's room.
Well I did do in two hours what took a month to do before. Practice makes perfect. Guess I start the room anew a third time.

Eric the work you did on this game is phenonenal. To give it away is amazing. It is better than games I have pain $50 for.
It amazes and frustrates me at the same time. I would definately support this game financially if give instruction.
write shanka108@aol.com

[Edited by shanka108 on 09-18-2003 at 04:55 AM]

[Edited by shanka108 on 09-18-2003 at 05:02 AM]

[Edited by shanka108 on 09-18-2003 at 05:07 AM]

09-18-2003 at 05:54 AM
Oneiromancer
Rank Points: 2936
So, next time, after you clear the tar in the left hallway, make sure to go save it before you hit the orb and don't hit the checkpoint on the way back! You can do it!

And the next release of DROD, with the new monsters and such, will be a commercial release, so we will all get to thank Erik financially then.

Game on,

"He who is certain he knows the ending of things when he is only beginning them is either extremely wise or extremely foolish; no matter which is true, he is certainly an unhappy man, for he has put a knife in the heart of wonder." -- Tad Williams
09-18-2003 at 06:19 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
shanka108
finally finished this room expecting to exit only to find three rooms not done that I know I did as I have demos of doing them. They were done before this last room 2S2E so why do they appear as not done?
if I go to restore, every room I highlight turns red but no others are red on map, but three gray rooms:huh Can't figure out why rooms I did before this last one are undone, specifically 3E1W, 3S3E and 2S3E, all of which I have demos of doing.
drat.......

09-19-2003 at 05:18 AM
Oneiromancer
The only thing I can think is that when you couldn't beat this room, you went and restored from another room that was before you beat those three rooms. If that's the case, it would have been safer to just hit "r" a few times to restart from the beginning of the room. But if that's not the case, I have no idea why that happened. If it's a bug, hopefully it has already been fixed in the new version.

Game on,

"He who is certain he knows the ending of things when he is only beginning them is either extremely wise or extremely foolish; no matter which is true, he is certainly an unhappy man, for he has put a knife in the heart of wonder." -- Tad Williams
09-19-2003 at 05:35 AM
DiMono
Rank Points: 1181
...where's 3E1W? :eyes

09-19-2003 at 03:31 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Oneiromancer
Duh, it's 2E!

:D

Game on,

09-19-2003 at 03:42 PM
shanka108
finished the stinken level 8. Had to rework three rooms but out to level 9. Thanks for all the help. Got pretty good at tar with all the practice...may come in handy later.
I must be the old fart in the bunch being squeekie's older brother at 54 and 1/2 years old. Still some brain cells left from '60's hippie days but not as sharp as I used to be.

I want to import my chain gun from Unreal, my favorite game besides Thief, and blow the crap out of the tar and monsters.
How about some new weapons for beethro:huh

09-20-2003 at 01:05 AM
Oneiromancer
Add some ideas to the "Feature Request" board! Although I am pretty sure we are trying to keep a "fantasy" feel here, especially in terms of technology.

Game on,

09-20-2003 at 01:22 AM
DiMono
Are you saying smart bombs don't fit in with a "Fantasy" game setting?

09-24-2003 at 05:07 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Oneiromancer
Depends on if you differentiate between the literary "fantasy" and "science fiction" genres, or you think they should be lumped together.

Game on,

09-24-2003 at 05:25 PM
Scott
Rank Points: 578
This thread seems to be getting off topic but what the heck. I never liked the idea of science fiction and fantasy being grouped together. The are mutually exclusive after all. I think it probably happened due to science fiction being around longer and when fantasy appeared, was Tolkien the first, they didn't know where to put it and science fiction seemed a good place.
09-25-2003 at 12:44 AM
zex20913
Rank Points: 1721
I personally think that fantasy is kinda like "non-science fiction" because most of the time it's ancient technologies being put to use. Maybe they wanted a section for "not modern fiction".

09-25-2003 at 05:13 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
DiMono
Fantasy has best been described as "Speculative History." The one thing every fantasy author has in common is a love of history, and most fantasy stories can be interpreted as an alternate history based on one decision in our past being made differently. As a Fantasy author, I agree with this definition :)

09-25-2003 at 05:25 PM
Oneiromancer
Wouldn't that only be true for fantasies that were set on Earth? I think that Speculative History can be a subset of Fantasy or Science Fiction, depending on where you take it. Imagining a magical Roman Empire is one thing, imagining a world where the Axis won WWII is another.

Terry Brooks' Shannara series is basically set after an "Old World" was destroyed through nuclear war...so is it Fantasy because it has magic and monsters or Science Fiction because it is in the "future"? I think most people would say Fantasy. And it's not historical because it's set in the future...there were no decisions in the past that changed. Robert Jordan's Wheel of Time suggests that history is circular, that everything happens over and over again with small changes each time, and the story in his books could be our future or our past, we have no way of knowing. It doesn't require any changes to our own history to work.

I'm not saying that you are wrong, really, just that you made a pretty sweeping generalization that I'm not agreeing with. :D Applicable in some cases, but not in many others.

Game on,

09-25-2003 at 05:54 PM
Get Help for a Room Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Hints and Solutions : 82S2E
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com